- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Thick Graphene Embedded Metal Heat Spreader with Enhanced Thermal Conductivity
- Park, Minsoo (School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Chun, Kukjin (School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2014.07.01
- Accepted : 2014.07.24
- Published : 2014.07.31
In this paper, a copper foil-thick grapheme (thin graphite sheet)-copper foil structure is reported to achieve mechanically strong and high thermal conductive layer suitable for heat spreading components. Since graphene provides much higher thermal conductivity than copper, thick graphene embedded copper layer can achieve higher effective thermal conductivity which is proportional to graphene/copper thickness ratio. Since copper is nonreactive with carbon material which is graphene, chromium is used as adhesion layer to achieve copper-thick graphene-copper bonding for graphene embedded copper layer. Both sides of thick graphene were coated with chromium as an adhesion layer followed by copper by sputtering. The copper foil was bonded to sputtered copper layer on thick graphene. Angstrom's method was used to measure the thermal conductivity of fabricated copper-thick graphene-copper structure. The thermal conductivity of the copper-thick graphene-copper structures is measured as
- W. Guy and W. Maltz, "Thermal management challenges in the passive cooling of handheld devices", Thermal Investigations of ICs and Systems (THERMINIC), 2013 19th International Workshop on, pp. 344-347, IEEE, 2013.
- S. Krishna. "Power and thermal challenges in mobile devices", Proceedings of the 19th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing & Networking, pp. 363-368, ACM, 2013.
- X. Qu, L. Zhang, M. Wu, and S. Ren, "Review of metal matrix composites with high thermal conductivity for thermal management applications", Progress in Natural Science: Materials International, Vol. 21, Issue. 3, pp. 189-197, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1002-0071(12)60029-X
- P. B. Abel, A. L. Korenyi-Both, F. S. Honecy, and S. V. Pepper, "Study of copper on graphite with titanium or chromium bond layer", J. Mater. Res., Vol. 9, Issue. 3, pp. 617-624, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1557/JMR.1994.0617
- D. F. Lim, J. Fan, L. Peng, K. C. Leong, and C. S. Tan, "Cu-Cu hermetic seal enhancement using self-assembled monolayer passivation", J. Electron. Mater., Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 502-506, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11664-012-2353-6
- A. L. Lytle, Angstrom's Method of Measuring Thermal Conductivity, Physics Department, The college of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio, 2000.