- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Estimating Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Marine Vessels in the Port of Busan using PORT-MIS and Vessel Specification Databases
PORT-MIS 및 선박제원 DB를 이용한 부산항 입출항 선박의 온실가스 배출량 산정
- Received : 2013.10.29
- Accepted : 2014.05.22
- Published : 2014.08.01
This study presents the linkage method combining the existing Port Management Information System (PORT-MIS) DB with the scattered vessel activity data sets including the hotelling and maneuvering characteristics and specification information of the vessels arriving and departing from the port of Busan from January 2009 to June 2010. By linking the data sets, this study made three types of vessel activity databases: L-PORT-MIS DB with low-level vessel activities, M-PORT-MIS DB with medium-level vessel activities such as hotelling time, H-PORT-MIS DB with high-level vessel activities such as hotelling time, engine power, etc. The greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions estimation results show that total GHG emissions decreases when the detailed vessel activities are employed. This decrease in the total GHG emissions by the level of vessel activities implies that the GHG emissions from the low and medium level vessel activities are overestimated due to the aggregated hotelling/maneuvering times and speeds resulting from the past vessel specifications. Therefore, the GHG emissions using the H-PORT-MIS DB are more reliable GHG emission estimates in that the vessel specifications and the observed hotelling time of each vessel are employed in the estimation process. Hence, the high-level vessel activity dataset should be constructed to implement more suitable countermeasures for reducing the GHG emissions in the port of Busan.
Vessel activity;Vessel specification;Greenhouse gas;Port logistics
Supported by : 부산녹색환경지원센터
- Shin, K. W. and Cheong, J. P. (2011). "Estimating transportationrelated greenhouse gas emissions in the port of Busan, S. Korea." Asian Journal of Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 5-1, pp. 41-46. https://doi.org/10.5572/ajae.2011.5.1.041
- Starcrest Consulting Group (2007a). "Port of los angeles inventory of air emissions."The Port of Los Angeles.
- Starcrest Consulting Group (2007b). Maritime air emissions inventory, Puget Sound Maritime Air Forum.
- Yang, J., Lee, W., Huh, Y., Kim, Y., Jang, Y., Cheong, J. and Shin, K. (2010). A study on greenhouse gas mitigation actions in the port of busan, Busan Development Institute.
- Bong, C. K., Park, S. J., Kim, Y. G., Lee, I. H., Lee, H. K. and Hwang, U. H. (2011). "A study on the calculation of GHG emissions from general ships by Tier3 method."Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, Vol. 33, No. 10, pp. 701-708. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2011.33.10.701
- Cheong, C., Park, D., Lee, I., Kim, S. and Kang, J. (2008). Inventory of air emissions from marin vessels, Aircrafts, and Container trucks in Busan metropolitan city, Busan Environmental Technology Center.
- Cheong, J. P., Kim, H. B., Lee, S. M., Lee, S. H. and Jang, Y. H. (2007). Greenhouse gas emissions inventory in Busan metropolitan city, Busan Metropolitan City.
- CORINAIR (1999). Emission inventory guidebook, European Environment Agency.
- IPCC (2006). 2006 IPCC Guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories, Prepared National Greenhouse Gas Inventories Programme, Eggleston, H. S., Buendia, L., Miwa, K., Ngara, T. and Tanabe, K. (eds). Published: IGES, Japan.
- National Institute of Environmental Research (2007). Guideline of estimation methods of air pollutants, Ministry of Environment.
- Shin, K. W. and Cheong, J. P. (2010). "Analyzing time in port and greenhouse gas emissions of vessels using duration model."Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 30, No. 4D, pp. 323-330.