- Volume 30 Issue 3
A newly recorded ampithoid species, Ampithoe akuolaka Barnard, 1970 from Korean waters is reported with a description and illustrations. This species is distinguished from other congeneric species by the following characteristic features: the apical lobules of the lower lip are separated, but short and tumid; the posterodistal corner of the carpus on gnathopod 1 has a triangular extension in mature males; and the palm of gnathopod 2 is largely bifid in mature males. We examine the fine structures that are not mentioned in the original description using scanning electron microscopy for a better observation, and present a changed key to Korean ampithoid species.
- Kim HS, Kim CB, 1988. Marine gammaridean Amphipoda (Crustacea) of the family Ampithoidae from Korea. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology, Special Issue, 2:107-134.
- Kim YH, 2011. Invertebrate fauna of Korea. Vol. 21, No. 8. Side swimmers I. Arthropoda: Crustacea: Malacostraca: Amphipoda: Corophiidea, Gammaridea. National Institute of Biological Resources, Incheon, pp. 1-130.
- Ozaydinli M, Coleman CO, 2012. Ampithoe bizseli n. sp. (Crustacea, Amphipoda) from the west coast of Turkey. Zootaxa, 3388:17-28.
- Peart RA, 2007. A review of the Australian species of Ampithoe Leach, 1814 (Crustacea: Amphipoda: Ampithoidae) with descriptions of seventeen new species. Zootaxa, 1566:1-95.
- Poore AGB, Hill NA, Sotka EE, 2008. Phylogenetic and geographic variation in host breadth and composition by herbivorous amphipods in the family Ampithoidae. Evolution, 62: 21-38.
- Shin MH, Hong JS, Kim W, 2010. Redescriptions of two ampithoid amphipods, Ampithoe lacertosa and A. tarasovi (Crustacea: Amphipoda), from Korea. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology, 26:295-305. https://doi.org/10.5635/KJSZ.2010.26.3.295
- Watling L, 1989. A classification system for crustacean setae based on the homology concept. In: Functional morphology of feeding and grooming in Crustacea (Eds., Felgenhauer BE, Watling L, Thistle AB). AA Balkema, Rotterdam, pp. 15-27.
- Zimmer A, Araujo PB, Bond-Buckup G, 2009. Diversity and arrangement of the cuticular structures of Hyalella (Crustaea: Amphipoda: Dogielinotidae) and their use in taxonomy. Zoologia (Curtiba), 26:127-142. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1984-46702009000100019
- Barnard JL, 1970. Sublittoral Gammaridea (Amphipoda) of the Hawaiian Islands. Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology, 34:1-286.
- Calazans D, Ingle R, 1998. The setal morphology of the larval phases of the Argentinean red shrimp Pleoticus muelleri Bate, 1988 (Decapoda: Solenoceridae). Invertebrate Reproduction and Development, 33:2-3.
- Garm A, 2004. Revising the definition of the crustacean seta and setal classification systems based on examinations of the mouthpart setae of seven species of decapods. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 142:233-252. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1096-3642.2004.00132.x
- Hindley JPR, Alexander CG, 1978. Structure and function of the chelate pereiopods of the banana prawn Penaeus merguiensis. Marine Biology, 48:153-160. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00395015
- Kim HS, Kim CB, 1987. Marine gammaridean Amphipoda (Crustacea) of Cheju Island and its adjacent waters, Korea. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology, 3:1-23.
Grant : Survey of indigenous biological resources of Korea
Supported by : National Institute of Biological Resources of Korea