- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Political Interest, Political Efficacy, and Media Usage as Factors Influencing Political Participation in Hospital Nurses
병원간호사의 정치관심도, 정치 효능감 및 매체 이용이 정치참여에 미치는 영향
- Jun, So Yeun (Graduate School, College of Nursing, Yonsei University) ;
- Ko, Il Sun (College of Nursing, Yonsei University) ;
- Bae, Ka Ryeong (Seoul Women's College of Nursing, Graduate School, College of Nursing, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2014.04.22
- Accepted : 2014.06.06
- Published : 2014.06.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify how political interest, efficacy and media usage influence political participation in hospital nurses. Methods: Participants were 286 nurses, who were informed of the study purpose and agreed to participate. Data were collected during November and December, 2012 using a questionnaire on political interest, political efficacy, media usage and political participation. Data were analyzed using t-test, ANOVA, Scheff
- Verba S, Nie NH. Participation in America: Political Democracy and Social Equality. New York, NY: Harper & Row; 1972.
- Hwang Y-S. A Exploratory Study of the Relationship between Internet Use and Political Participation. Korean Society for Journalism & Communication Studies. 2001;45(3):421-456.
- Park CW. Patterns and Determinants of Political Participation among Korean Citizens: An Analysis of the 2004 General Social Survey Data. The Asian Consortium for Political Research. 2005;14(1):147-193.
- Korean Nurses Political Society. Nurse Power [Internet]. Seoul: Korean Nurses Political Society. 2011 [cited 2013 December 30]. Available from: http://www.nursepower.or.kr/ebook/ 1236/webbookstart.html
- Abood S. Influencing health care in the legislative arena. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. 2007;12(1):3.
- Kim H-J. A study on political strengthening of women on the basis of political participation. Women's Studies Review. 2008; 25:101-138. https://doi.org/10.18341/wsr.2008.25.1.101
- Loviglio, J. Radio's intimate public: Network broadcasting and mass-mediated democracy. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press; 2005.
- Vandenhouten CL., Malaker CL., Kubsch S, Block DE, Gallagher- Lepak S. Political participation of registered nurses. Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice. 2011;12(3):159-167. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1527154411425189 https://doi.org/10.1177/1527154411425189
- Holbert RL, Hansen GJ, Mortensen S, Caplanc SE. An analysis of the relative influences of Fahrenheit 9/11 and presidential debate viewing on shifting confidence in President George W. Bush. Communication Research Reports. 2006;23(3):209-216. http://dx/doi.org/10.1080/08824090600796427 https://doi.org/10.1080/08824090600796427
- Cramer ME. Factors influencing organized political participation in nursing. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice. 2002;3 (2):97-107. http://dx/doi.org/10.1177/152715440200300203 https://doi.org/10.1177/152715440200300203
- Lee KY. A study on the relation between media usage pattern, political ideology and political behavior. Journal of Social Sciences. 2007;46(2):205-231.
- Kim S-H, Scheufele DA, Shanahan J. Who cares about the issues? Issue voting and the role of news media during the 2000 U.S. Presidential election. The Journal of Communication. 2005;55(1):103-121. http://dx/doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2005.tb02661.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2005.tb02661.x
- Verba S, Schlozman KL, Brady HE. Voice and Equality: Civic voluntarism in American politics. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1995.
- Kim KY. The study about social worker's the political participation state and an influenced factor. Korean Academy of Social Welfare Conference. Korean Academy of Social Welfare Conference. 2005. p. 651-673.
- Boswell C, Cannon S, Miller J. Nurses' political involvement: responsibility versus privilege. Journal of Professional Nursing. 2005;21(1):5-8. http://dx/doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2004.11.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2004.11.005
- Sohn S, Lee G, Lee S. Comparative analysis of characteristics and frames of news articles on healthcare: differences from administration changes and media's ideological orientation. Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies. 2014; 58(1):306-330.
- Hong SJ. The Influence of Political Interest, Political ideology and Information Searching goal on Political Information Search: With women university students [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2009.
- Shin JS. A Study on the Effect of the Media Use among College Students on their Political efficacy and Participation-Focusing on the 19th General Election- [master's thesis]. Daegu: Kyungpook National University; 2012.
- Nam IY, Huh IS. Adolescents' and university students' political efficacy and political participation by using media. Journal of Political Communication Research. 2012;24:5-35.
- Choi JH. The influence of SNS use on political efficacy and political participation among Korean college students. Journal of Political Communication Research. 2012;27:369-408.
- Shin D-U, Yang H-S. A study on the influence of the internet media properties on the degree of participation in political communication of voters. The Journal of Political Science & Communication. 2010;13(2):137-159.
- Primomo J. Changes in political astuteness after a health sys tems and policy course. Nurse Educator. 2007;32(6):260-264. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.NNE.0000299480.54506.44 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNE.0000299480.54506.44
- Kim KY. The study about social worker's the political participation state and an influenced factor [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2004.
- Hwang SY. A research of the effect of social capital on political participation [master's thesis]. Seoul: Han Yang University; 2012.
- Cho H, Lee JK, Kwak J-Y. The impact of political information on women's political attitudes: A study by focus group discussion. Journal of Korean Women's Studies. 2000;16(2):105-143.
- Hamilton D, Fauri D. Social workers' political participation: Strengthening the political confidence of social work students. Journal of Social Work Education. 2002;37:321-332.
- Park S-H, Sung D-K.(2005). Study on the impact that a media credibility influences on the political efficacy and voting action: with a focus on political participation of the university students. Korean Journal of Communication and Information. 2005;49(4):110-140.
- Ritter JA. A national study predicting licensed social workers' level of political participation: The role of resources, psychological engagement, and recruitment networks. Social Work. 2008;53(4):347-357. https://doi.org/10.1093/sw/53.4.347
- American Nurses Association. Policy & Advocacy[Internet]. Silver Spring, MD: American Nurses Association. 2014. cited 2014 May 10. Available from: http://www.nursingworld.org/ MainMenuCategories/Policy-Advocacy