- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Lexical and Phrasal Analysis of Online Discourse of Type 2 Diabetes Patients based on Text-Mining
텍스트마이닝 기법을 이용한 제 2형 당뇨환자 온라인 담론의 어휘 및 구문구조 분석
- Hwang, Moonl-Hyon (Dept. of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida) ;
- Park, Jungsik (Dept. of English Language and Literature, Ajou University)
- Received : 2014.04.16
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
This paper has identified five major categories of the T2D patients' concerns based on an online forum where the patients voluntarily verbalized their naturally occurring emotional reactions and concerns related to T2D. We have emphasized the fact that the lexical and phrasal analysis brought to the forefront the prevailing negative reactions and desires for clear information, professional advice, and emotional support. This study used lexical and phrasal analysis based on text-mining tools to estimate the potential of using a large sample of patient conversation of a specific disease posted on the internet for clinical features and patients' emotions. As a result, the study showed that quantitative analysis based on text-mining is a viable method of generalizing the psychological concerns and features of T2D patients.
Type 2 Diabetes;Psychological Condition;Text-Mining;Lexical and Phrasal Analysis;Online Discourse
- A. Faulkner, When the News is Bad: a Guide for Health Professionals on Breaking Bad News, Stanley Thornes, Cheltenham, UK, 1998.
- R. Klein, SE. Moss, BE. Klein, MD. Davis, and DL. DeMets, The Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy. XI. The Incidence of Macular Edema, Ophthalmology, Vol. 96, pp. 1501-1510, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0161-6420(89)32699-6
- American Diabetes Association, Economic Costs of Diabetes in the U.S. in 2012, Diabetes Care, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 1033-1046, 2013. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc12-2625
- UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group, Tight Blood Pressure Control and Risk of Macrovascular and Microvascular Complications in Type 2 Diabetes, British Medical Journal, Vol. 318, No. 7175, p. 29, 1999.
- L. Fernandez-Luque, R. Karlsen, J. Bonander, Review of Extracting Information from the Social Web for Health Personalization, Journal of Medical Internet Research, Vol. 13, No. 1, e15, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.1432
- F. Greaves, D. Ramirez-Cano, C. Millett, A. Darzi, and L. Harnessing the Cloud of Patient Experience: Using Social Media to Detect Poor Quality Healthcare, BMJ Quality & Safety, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 251-255, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2012-001527
- U. Raja, T. Mitchell, T. Day, and JM. Hardin, Text-mining in Healthcare. Applications and Opportunities, Journal of Healthcare Information Management, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 52-56, 2008.
- Y. Lu, P. Zhang, J. Liu, J. Li, and S. Deng, Health-Related Hot Topic Detection in Online Communities Using Text Clustering, PLoS ONE, Vol. 8, No. 2, e56221, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0056221
- PR. Vasconcellos-Silva, D. Carvalho, C. and C. Lucena, Word Frequency and Content Analysis Approach to Identify Demand Patterns in a Virtual Community of Carriers of Hepatitis C, Interactive Journal of Medical Research, Vol. 2, No. 2, e12, 2013. https://doi.org/10.2196/ijmr.2384
- EC. Goyder, PG. McNally, M. Drucquer, N. Spiers, and JL. Botha, Shifting of Care for Diabetes from Secondary to Primary Care 1990. 1995: Review of General Practices, Br Med J., Vol. 316, pp. 1505-6, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.316.7143.1505
- AL. Kinmonth, E. Murphy, and T. Marteau, Diabetes and Its Care. What Do Patients Expect?, J R Coll Gen Pract., Vol. 39, pp. 324-7, 1989.
- I. Jedlicka-Kohler, M. Gotz, and I. Eichler, Parents' Recollection of the Initial Communication of the Diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis, Pediatrics, Vol. 97, pp. 204-209, 1996.
- E. Peel, O Parry, M Douglas, and J Lawton, Diagnosis of type 2 diabetes: a qualitative analysis of patients' emotional reactions and views about information provision, Patient Education and Counseling, Vol. 53, pp. 269-275, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2003.07.010
- L. Egede and C. Ellis, The Effects of Depression on Diabetes Knowledge, Diabetes Self-Management, and Perceived Control in Indigent Patients with Type 2 Diabetes, Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 213-219, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1089/dia.2007.0278
- J. Kiecolt-Glaser, L. McGuire, T. Robles, and R. Glaser, Emotions, Morbidity, and Mortality: New Perspectives from Psychoneuroimmunology, Annual Review of Psychology, Vol. 53, pp. 83-10, 2002.. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.53.100901.135217
- LJ. Lange and JD. Piette, Perceived Health Status and Perceived Diabetes Control: Psychological Indicators and Accuracy, J Psychosom Res., Vol. 58, pp. 129-137, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2004.08.004
- R. Gabbay, I. Lendel, T. Sa Leem, G. Shaeffer, A. Adelman, D. Mauger, M. Collins, and R. Polomano, Nurse case management improves blood pressure, Emotional distress and diabetes complication screening, Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, Vol. 71, pp. 28-35, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2005.05.002
- M. Peyrot and R. Rubin, Behavioral and Psychosocial Interventions in Diabetes, Diabetes Care, Vol. 30, No. 10, pp. 2433-2440, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc07-1222
- JV. Butler, JE. Whittington, AJ. Holland, H. Boer, D. Clark, and T. Webb, Prevalence of, and Risk Factors for, Physical Ill-Health in People with Prader-Willi Syndrome: a Population-based Study, Dev Med Child Neurol., Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 248-255, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1017/S001216220100202X
- AJ. Holland, JV. Butler, JE. Whittington, H. Boer, D. Clark, and T. Webb. Behavioural Phenotypes Associated with Specific Genetic Disorders: Evidence from a Population-based Study of People with Prader-Willi Syndrome, Psychol Med., Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 141-153, 2003.
- LE. Levitt Katz, S. Swami, M. Abraham, KM. Murphy, AF. Jawad, H. McKnight-Menci, and R. Berkowitz, Neuropsychiatric Disorders at the Presentation of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Children, Pediatric Diabetes, Vol. 6, pp. 84-89, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-543X.2005.00105.x
- R. Rubin and M. Peyrot, Psychological Issues and Treatments for People with Diabetes, Clin Psychol., Vol. 57, pp. 457-478, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.1041
- Patients' perspectives on taking insulin in diabetes - Perspectives of convergence vol.14, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.283