- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Analysis of Relationships between Developmental Assets, Stress and Risk Behaviors of University Students
대학생들의 발달자산, 스트레스 및 위험행동의 구조적 관계
- Kim, Hun-Hee (Dept. of Nursing, Jinju Health College) ;
- Hwan, Young-Shin (Dept. of Nursing, Jinju Health College)
- Received : 2014.04.13
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
The purposes of the study is to examine the relationship between developmental assets, stress and risk behaviors of university students. The subject of the study is 1023 university students. Questionnaire organized by scales of developmental assets, stress and risk behaviors was used. The major findings were as follows; First, internal assets made direct effects on stress and risk behaviors. External assets made direct effects on stress. Second, mediating effects of stress were statistically significant in relations between developmental assets and risk behaviors. External assets were complete mediating effects by making effects indirectly on risk behaviors through the stress. Internal assets showed partial mediating effects.
University students;Developmental assets;External assets;Internal assets;Stress;Risk behaviors
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Benson, P. L., All kids are our kids: What communities must do to raise caring and responsible Children and Adolescents. second edition. Jossey-Bass Inc., San Francisco, USA, 2006.
- Oman, R. F., Vesely, S. K., McLeroy, K., Vicki, H. W., Aspy, C. B., Rodine, S., Marshall, L., Reliability and validity of the Youth Asset Survey(YAS). Journal of Adolescent Health. Vol. 31, 247-255, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(02)00363-4
- Don-kyou Yang, The effects of optimism and sensation seeking on risk behavios. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol. 9, pp. 89-113, 2001.
- LevittM Z, Selman R L, The personal meaning of risk behavior: A developmental perspective on friendship and fighting in early adolescence. Jean Piaget Symposium Series, Erlbaum, No. 5, pp. 201-233, 1992.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Korea Health Statistics 2010: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination survey (KNHANES V-1). 2010.
- National Information Society Agency, Internet Addiction survey, NIA IV-RER-11052. 2011.
- Soo-Kyo Seo, Jae-Won Park, Sung-Woo Kim, A Study on the actual condition of the smoking in a college students. A collecction of learned papers of Daegu Health College , Vol. 29, pp. 1-17, 2007.
- Sungsoo Chun, Aeree Sohn, Chang Ho Song, Ju Yul Lee, Sun Kyoung Kim, Health and behavioral consequences of binge drinking in College-A national survey of students at 60 campuses-. Journal of Korean Alcohol Science, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 119-135.
- Jae Shig Shin, A Study on Internet addiction of the university students and communication anxiety. Master D. dissertation, Graduate School of Sangji National University, 2008.
- Leffert, N., Benson P. L., Scales, P. C., Sharma, A. R., DeakeD. R., & Blyth D. A., Developmental assets: Measurement and prediction of risk behaviors among adolescents. Applied Developmental Science, Vol. 2, No.4, pp. 209-230, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532480xads0204_4
- Young-Shin Hwang, Effects of Internal Developmental Assets Program on Internal Developmental Assets and School Resilience. Ph.D. dissertation, Graduate School of Gyeongsang National University. 2005.
- Atkins, L. A. A., Oman, R. F., Vesely, S. K., Aspy, C. B., McLeroy, K., Adolescent tobacco use: The protective effects of developmental assets. American Journal of Health Promotion, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 198-205, 2002. https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-16.4.198
- Scales, P. C., Reducing risk and building developmental assets: Essential actions for promoting adolescent health. Journal of School Health, Vol. 69, No. 3, pp. 113-119, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.1999.tb07219.x
- French, S. A., Leffert, N., Story, M., Diannen.S., Hannan, P., Benson, P. L., Adolescent binge/purge and weight loss behaviors: Associations with developmental assets. Journal of Adolescent Health, Vol. 28, pp. 211-221, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(00)00166-X
- Bambini D. R., The effect of developmental assets on academic success in the at-risk university student. Doctor of Philosophy. Michigan State University, 2005.
- Myoung-Soon Lee, The protective effects of developmental assets on health risk behaviors among Korean adolescents. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 137-154, 2005.
- Chan wooJung, Effects and relaionships among developmental assets, locus of control, stress coping styles and stress on the basis of adolescent' perception. Ph.D. dissertation, Graduate School of Chungnam National University. 2010.
- Nho-Eun Kim, The Relationships among Stress, Resilience, and Quality of Life in College Students. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1-19, 2011.
- Jin-hee Kim, The Mediating Effects of Self-control and Health Promoting Lifestyle in the relationship between Life Stress and Adjustment to College Life among College Students. Master D. dissertation, The Graduate School of Ewha Womans University, 2012.
- Juhee Park, Multiple Mediated Effects of External and Internal Developmental Assets in the Relations Between Domestic Violence Exposure and School Adjustment of Elementary School Students. Ph.D. Dissertation, Graduate School of Chonnam University. 2012.
- Benson, P. L., Scales, P. C., Leffert, N., L., Roehlkepartain, E. C., A fragile foundation: The state of developmental assets among American youth. A Search Institute report. Minneapolis, MN: Search Institute. USA, 1999.
- Ji-Yoing Lee, A Study on the psychosocial factor influencing the suicide ideation of University student. Master D. dissertation, Graduate School of Kong Ju National University. 2007.
- Se Hee Hong, The Criteria for Selecting Appropriate Fit Indices in Structural Equation Modeling and Their Rationales. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 161-177, 2000.
- Dong-Mo Koo, Marketing & Statistics. Hakhyunsa. 2010.
- Nan-Su Shin, The relation ships between ego-Identity, the level of stress and stress coping styles among middle school students. Master D. dissertation, The graduate School of Chung buk National University. 2001.
- Mihyun Han, A Study on stress, perceived social supports, and behavior problems of children. Ph.D. dissertation, Graduate School of Seoul University. 1996.
- Anna Hyun.SukJa Yoon, The relationship between stress and mental Health ststus among college freshmen: mediating effects of parent-adolescent communication styles. Korean Journa of Youth Studies, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 403-428, 2012.
- Comparison of characteristics of risk behaviors and injuries between elderly and young population in Korea: application of convergence educational concept vol.13, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.289