- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on the chronicle of TV format industry : Focusing on the sociohistorical background of content industry in the UK
방송포맷산업에 대한 연대기적 고찰 : 영국 방송포맷산업의 사회역사적 배경을 중심으로
- Joo, Jaewon (Dept. of Communication & Media, Dong-Eui University)
- 주재원 (동의대학교 신문방송학과)
- Received : 2014.03.17
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
In this age of multimedia, the content of media works as an important factor rather than the format of media. Popular television programs are being supplied cross-border and they go through the process of adaption to the local viewers which is called "formatting". This kind of "formatting" industry had begun in the States, then the Europeans have taken the inactive from 1990s. Since then, it has been settled firmly by the "super-formats". It now has the assumed value of 31 hundred million Euro per year. Especially after 2000s, England has been the center of world broadcasting format industry, and its case has lots of suggestions to Koreans trying to foster the cultural content industry. So this study aims to find the suggestions to Korean content industry by considering the history of broadcast format industry chronically and examining the industrial background of English as a powerful nation of content.
Television Format;Content industry;UK format history;Creative UK
- Min-Joo Jun, Present and Expectation of Content Format Industry. Masters Thesis, Korea National University of Arts. 2010.
- Yoon-Kyung Jung, Present and Expectation of Foreign Broadcast Format Industry. Korea Creative Content Agency. 2013.
- Jaewon Joo, The British Regulation for converging Broadcast and Telecommunication. Global Content Industry, No. 289. 2009.
- Jaewon Joo, Broadcast content in the United Kingdom. Global Content Analysis, No. 295. 2009.
- Jaewon Joo, Future of British Content Industry. Global Content Analysis, No. 296. 2009.
- Korea Creative Content Agency, The Scale of British Broadcast Market and Expectation(2006-2015). 2012.
- Korea Creative Content Agency, Study on How Protect the Copyright of Broadcast Format. 2012.
- Aston, S. A time for action. Broadcat, 7 September, p. 19. 2001.
- Boyle, R. The rise of the business entertainment format on British Television, Glasgow University. 2009.
- Buxton, F. and Owen, B. The Big Broadcast: 1920-1950. New York: Viking. 1972.
- Camporesi, V. Mass Culture and National Tradition: The BBC and American Broadcasting 1922-1954. Fucecchio: European Press Academic Publishing. 2000.
- Chalaby, J. The rise of Britain's super-indies: Policy-making in the age of the global media market, International Communication Gazette, 72(8):675-693. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/1748048510380800
- Chalaby, J. The making of an entertainment revolution: how the TV format trade became a global industry, European Journal of Communication, 26(4): 293-309. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0267323111423414
- Chalaby, J. At the origin of a global industry: The TV format trade as an Anglo-American invention, Media, Culture & Soceity, 34(1): 36-52. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163443711427198
- DCMS, Creative Britain: New Talents for the New Economy. 2008.
- DCMS, Creative Britain: Final Report. 2009.
- DCMS, Creative Industries Economics Estimates. 2014.
- Doyle, G. and Paterson, R. Public policy and independent television in the UK, Journal of Media Business Studies, 5(3): 17-33. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/16522354.2008.11073473
- Endemol, Annual Report 2006. Hilversum: Endemol. 2007.
- Forman, D. Persona Granada: Some Memories of Sidney Bernstein and the Early Days of Independent Television. London: Andre Deutsch. 1997.
- FRAPA, The FRAPA Report 2009: TV Formats to the World. Cologne: FRAPA. 2009.
- Grasso, A. Story of television in italy. Milano: Garzanti. 2004.
- Griffen-Foley, B. Changing Stations: The story of Australian Commercial Radio. Sidney: University of New South Wales Press. 2009.
- Moran, A. Understanding the Global TV Format. Bristol: Intellect. 2006.
- Ofcom, The Communication Market 2009. 2009.
- PACT, UK Television Exports Survey, Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television. 2012.
- Schwartz, D., Ryan, S. and Wostbrock, F. The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows, 3rd ed. New York: Checkmark Books. 1999.
- Technology Strategy Board, Creative Industries: Technology Strategy 2009-2012. 2009.
- UK Trade & Investment, UK Television Exports. 2007.