- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effect of Hope between Stress and Suicidal Ideation of Adolescents
청소년의 스트레스와 자살생각에서 희망의 매개효과
- Kim, Yun-Jeong (Dept. of Elderly Welfare, Hanseo University) ;
- Lee, Chang Seek (Dept. of Child and Adolescent Welfare, Hanseo University)
- Received : 2014.03.03
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
This study aimed to investigate the mediating effect of hope between stress and suicidal ideation of adolescents. For the study, 399 adolescents were surveyed at 10 cities of Korea from May to August in 2010. Main results of the study were in the followings. First, it was found out that stress of adolescents was positively correlated with suicidal ideation, hope was negatively correlated with suicidal ideation, and stress influenced more suicidal ideation than hope. Second, suicidal ideation of adolescents tended to be low, stress was in the middle level, and agency and pathways thinking of hope was higher than middle level. Third, it was proved that agency and pathways thinking of hope was mediated between stress and suicidal ideation of adolescents. Lastly, for the female adolescents living in the metropolitan and large cities, only agency thinking of hope was mediated but pathways thinking was not mediated. Policy implications for preventing and decreasing adolescent's suicide were suggested.
Suicide ideation;Stress;Mediating effect;Hope;Agency thinking;Pathways thinking;Sobel's test
- Statistical office, Survey on Youth, 2013
- Statistical office, Survey on Youth, 2012.
- H. Z. Reinherz, L. Tanner, S. R. Berger, W. R. Beards Lee, G. M. Fitzmaurice, Adolescent suickdal ideation as predictive of psychopathology, suicidal behavior, and compromised functioning at age 30. American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 163, pp. 1226-1232, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.2006.163.7.1226
- Song Hanna, Family factors of suicidal behavior among adolescents. Chungbuk National University, 2013.
- H. S. Kim, & B. S. Kim, Verification of the Structural Relationship Model of Suicidal Ideation to Its Related Variables, The Korean Journal of Counselling and Psychotheraphy, Vol. 20, No. 2, 201-219, 2008.
- D. A. Brent, Correlates of medical lethality of suicide attemps in children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, Vol. 26, pp. 87-89, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-198701000-00017
- J. A. Bridge, T. R. G Old stein, D. A. Brent, Adolescent suicide and suicidal behavior. Journal of Child Psycholgy and Psychiatry, Vol. 47, pp. 372-394, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2006.01615.x
- G. M. Blau, T. P. Gullotta, Adolescent dysfunctional behavior: Causes, interventions, and prevention. Sage Publications, 1996.
- R. C. Kessler, R. H. Price, C. B. Wortman, Social factors in psychopathology: stress, social support, and coping process. Annual Review of Psychology, Vol.36, pp. 531-572, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.36.020185.002531
- R. F. Baumeister, Suicide as escape from self. Psychol Review, Vol.97, pp90-113, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.97.1.90
- Sohn Jung Nam, Discriminating Power of Suicidal by Life Stress, Coping strategy, and Depression in College Students. Korean Acad Psych Mental Health Nurs, Vol.16, No. 3, pp. 267-275, 2007.
- K. H, Kim, & M. H. Jeon, Study on the teenage suicide, Journal of Korean Society of Child Welfare, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 127-152, 2000.
- K. G. Wilson, J. Berman, J. N. Kral, M. Inayatullah, C. A. Ellot, Problem solving, stress, and coping in adolescent suicide attempts. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior. Vol.25, pp2. 41-252, 1995.
- K. E. Bostik, R. D. Everall, Healing from suicide. British Journal of Guidance & Counseling, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 79-96, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/03069880601106815
- K. Y. Lee, S. C. Choi, & J. S. Kong, The effects of parents-children dysfunction al Communication and academic stress on adolescents' suicide ideation-focusing on the mediating effects of depression and gender differences, Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 83-107, 2011.
- M. Kitzrow, The mental Health needs of today's college students: Challenges and recommendations. NASPA Journal, Vol.41, No.1, pp.165-179, 2003.
- J. Y. Choi, Adolescent' School Bullying Experience and Suicidal Ideation. Social research, Vol. 14, pp. 223-238, 2007.
- S. J. Kim, A Study on the related factors of suicidal ideation of university students, Mental Health and Social Work, Vol. 32, pp. 413-437, 2009.
- B. G. Park, Exploratory Study of Eco-System Factors on Adolescents' Suicidal Ideation, Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Chungbuk University, 2006.
- S. H. Jang, & M. A. Lee, A Study on Factors Related to Adolescents' Suicide Ideation: Focusing on Social support and buffering effects of self-esteem, Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 17, No. 8, pp. 27-55, 2010.
- M. G. Kim, The relationship between family-related stress, negative emotion and suicidal ideation: focusing on the mediating effect of self-resilience, Forum for Youth Culture, Vol. 9, 2011.
- M. Y. Sim, K. H. Kim, Risk and protective factors for suicidal ideation of Korean adolescent; Moderating effect of sex and development period. The Korean Health Psychol, Vol.10, No.3, pp313-325, 2005.
- Y. S. Hong, S. Y. Jeon, The effects of life stress and depression for adolescent suicidal ideation. Mental Health & Social Work, Vol.19, pp.125-149, 2005.
- C. C. Edward, Predicting suicid eideation in an adolescent population: examining the role of social problem solving as amoderator and a mediator. Personality and Individual difference, Vol. 32, pp. 1279-1291, 2002 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(01)00118-0
- M. S. Gould, T. Greenberg, D. M. Velting, D. Shaffer, Youth suicide risk and preventive interventions: a review of the past 10 years. Journal of the American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry, Vol. 42, pp. 386-405, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CHI.0000046821.95464.CF
- A. Metha, E. H. McWhirter, Suicide ideation, depression, and stressful life events among gifted adolescents. Journal for the education of the Gifted, Vol.20, No. 3, pp. 284-304, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/016235329702000306
- Ji Yeon Lee, Hyo Chang Kim, Myoung Ho Hyun, The Relationship of Stress, Parent-adolescent Communication and Suicide Ideation among Adolescent, The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.10, No.4, pp.375-394, 2005.
- M. D. Rudd, An interactive model of suicidal ideation. Suicide and Life-threatening Behavior, Vol. 20, pp.16-30, 1990.
- S. K. Cheng, Life stress, problem solving, perfection ism, and de Pressivesymptom inchinese. Cognitive Therapy an Research, Vol.25, No.3, pp.303-310, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010788513083
- C. R. Snyder, The Psychology of hope: You can get there from here. New York: Free Press, 1994.
- C. R. Snyder, A. B. LaPointe, J. J. Crowson, S. Early, Preferences of high-hope and low-hope people for self-referential input. Cognition and Emotion, Vol.12, pp.807-823, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1080/026999398379448
- P. S. Hinds, Adolescent hopefulness in illness and health. Advances in Nursing Science, Vol.10, No.3, pp.79-88, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-198804000-00009
- S. Breznitz, The effect of hope on coping with stress. In Dynamics of Stress. Springer US, pp.295-306, 1986.
- R. F. McGee, Hope: A factor influencing crisis resolution. Advances in Nursing Science, Vol.6, No.4, pp.34-44, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-198406040-00006
- M. E. P. Seligman, The effectiveness of psychotherapy; The Consumer Reports study. American Psychologist, Vol.50, pp.965-974, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.50.12.965
- S. H. Jin, Relationships Between Stress and Depression: Moderating Effects of Hope, Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Ajoo University, 2010.
- H. J. Cho, The Effects of Hope on Life Stress, Psychopathology and Life Satisfaction. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 839-852, 2010. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2010.29.3.011
- J. H. Jang, Adolescents' Stresses and Mental Health: Hope as a Buffer, Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Gyungnam University, 2008.
- G. Affleck, H. Tennen, Construing benefits from adversity: Adaptotional significance and disposltional underpinnings. Journal of personality, Vol.64, No.4, pp. 899-922, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.1996.tb00948.x
- H. Tennen, G. Affleck, Finding benefits in adversity. Coping: The Psychology of what works, 1999.
- C. R. Snyder, Parenteau, C. Stacy, Shorey, S, Hal, Kahle, E. Kristin, Berg, Carla, Hope as the underlying process in the psychotherapeutic change process. International Gestalt Journal, Vol.25, No.2, pp.11-29, 2002,
- L. L. Harlow, M. D. Newcomb, P. M. Bentler, Depression, self-derogation, substance use, and suicide idention; Lack of purpose in life as a mediational factor, Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol.42, No.1, pp.5-21, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(198601)42:1<5::AID-JCLP2270420102>3.0.CO;2-9
- H. S. Kim, A Study on epistemology of Korean elder`s suicidal thought. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol.22, No.1, pp.159-172, 2002.
- C. R. Snyder, C. Harris, J. R. and erson, S. A. Holleran, L. M. Irving, S. T. Sigmon, L. Yoshinobu, J. Gibb, C. Langelle, P. Harney, The will and the ways: Development and validation of an individual-differences measure of hope. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.60, pp.570-585, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.520
- A. J. Venning, J. Eliott, L. Kettler, A. Wilson, Normative data for the Hope Scale using Australian adolescents. Australian Journal of Psychology, Vol.61, No.2, pp.100-106, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/00049530802054360
- R, M. Baron, D. A. Kenny, The moderator-mediator-variable distinction in social psychological research, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.51, pp.1173-1183, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- M. E. Sobel, Asymptotic intervals for indirect effects in structural equations models, In S. Leinhart (ed.), Sociological Methodology, pp. 290-312. SanF rancisco: Jossey-Bass, 1982.