- Volume 12 Issue 6
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of a laughter therapy on depression, of elderly. Methods: A quasi-experimental, nonequivalent control group pretest posttest design was used. Participants (n=38) included elders. Data were collected from October 1 to 22, 2013. Experimental group (n=19) participated in laughter therapy four times, once a week for 50 min per session. Questionnaires were used to measure pretest and posttest levels of depression. Results: At the end of four-week intervention, depression score (z=-2.59, p= .017) was significantly decreased in the experimental group compared to control group. Conclusion: The study results suggest that the laughter therapy is an effective intervention to reduce the depression. It seems that this program can widely be utilized as one of nursing intervention programs for the elderly.
aged people;depression;laughter therapy;nursing practice
- National Statistic Organization office. Korean statistical information Service. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- H. J. Choi, Depression and cognitive function of the elderly using the welfare facilities for the agedin the community. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 119-129, 2006.
- H. S. Lee, Health status and utilization of long-term care facility in the urban and rural aged. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 19, pp. 260-269, 2008.
- C. G. Kim & S. M. Park, Gender Difference in Risk Factors for Depression in Community-dwelling Elders. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol. 42 No. 1, pp. 136-147, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.136
- M. J. Moon, Factors influencing depression in elderly peoplel iving at home. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 40, pp. 542-550, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.4.542
- H. G. Koenig & D. G. Blazer, Epidemiology of Geriatric affective disordet. Clinical Geriatric Medicine, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 235-251, 1992.
- E. Y. Jeon, S. Y. Kim & K. B. Kim, Analysis of depression and Health status in Korean-American elderly. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 157-165, 2005.
- M. Miller & W. W. Fry, The effect of mirthful laughter on the human cardiovascular system. Medical hypotheses, Vol. 73, pp. 636-639. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2009.02.044
- M. J. Bennett, J. M. Zeller, L. Eosenberg & J. McCann, The effect of mirthful laughter on stress and Natural Killer cell activity. Alternative Therapy, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 38-44, 2003.
- H. Hasan & T. F. Hasan, Laugh yourself into a healthy person: A cross cultural analysis of the effects of varying levels of laughter on health. International Journal of Medical Science, Vol. 6, pp. 200-211, 2009.
- M. S. Kim, A Study on the effect of the compliment and laughing program for Schizophenic patient's self-esteem and inter-personal relationship. Master's thesis, Daegu University. 2009.
- C. S. Chung, A Study on the therapy effect program by Laughing-The Object for the aged. Master's thesis, Chosun University. 2008.
- M. P. Bennett & C. A. Lengacher, Humor and laughter may influence health. I. History and background. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Vol. 3, pp. 61-63, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1093/ecam/nek015
- H. J. Ko, The effects of laughter therapy on depression and cognition in a community for the aged. Master's thesis, Kyungpook National University. 2008.
- Y. S. Kim & S. S. Jun, The Influence of One-Time Laughter Therapy on Stress Response in the Elderly. Journal Korean Academy Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 269-277, 2009.
- K. S. Kim, J. A. Yu, J. A. Kim, Y. S. Lee, & I. O. Lee, Effects of Tai-Chi Exercise and Self help Management program applying Laughter Therapy with Osteoarthritis. Journal of muscle and joint health, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 68-78, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2010.17.1.068
- G. Marie, C. Angela, D. Sallie, B. Patricia, & W. Deborah, Study confirms belief that laughter is the best Medicine. AORN Journal, Vol. 80, pp. 241-241. 2004.
- K. I. Lee, & Y. Eun, Effect of Laughter Therapy on Pain, Depression and Sleep with Elderly Patients in Long Term Care Facility. Journal of muscle and joint health, Vol. 18 No. 1, pp. 28-38, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.1.028
- S. Y. Myung, The effects of the laughter therapy program on the elderly. Master's thesis, Hanyang University. 2010.
- W. F. Fry, The physiological effects of humor, mirth, and laughtet. The Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 267, pp. 1857-1858. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.267.13.1857
- M. S. Yang, The Effects of Laughter Therapy on Pain and State Anxiety of Spinal Surgery Patients. Master's thesis, Chonbuk National University. 2008.
- E. Foley, R. Matheis & C. Schaefer, Effect of forced laughter on mood. Psychological Reports, Vol. 90, pp. 184-194, 2002. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.2002.90.1.184
- E. O. Park, Effects of Visiting Laughter Therapy on Depression and Insomnia among the Vulnerable Elderly. Journal of Korean Acad Community Health Nursing . Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 205-213, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.2.205
- H. J. Hyun, The effect of laughter therapy on the blood pressure, perceived stress and depression. Master's thesis, Seoul National University. 2010.
- J. S. Kim, Influence of Ganggangsullae Dance Program Applying the Laughter Therapy on Climacteric Symptoms and Depression in Middle Aged Women. Master's thesis, Hanyang University. 2007.
- E. A. Cho & H. E. Oh, Effects of laughter therapy on depression, quality of Life, resilience and immune responses in breast cancer survivors. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 285-293. 2011. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.285
- I. S. Lee, G. H. Bae, & J. S. Back, Introduction of Laughter Therapy. Seoul: Changgisa, 2008.
- H. O. Jung, The effects of laughter on sleep in the community-dwelling elderly. Master's thesis, Kyungpook National University. 2009.
- J. A. Yu & K. S. Kim, Effects of laughter therapy on stress response and pain of military personnel with low back pain in hospital. Journal of Muscle Joint Health, Vol. 16, pp. 36-45. 2010.