- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Autonomy, Competency, Relatedness on Burnout among Nurses
자율성, 유능감, 관계성이 간호사 소진에 미치는 영향
- Cho, Young-Mun (Department of Nursing, Young Dong University College of Health Industry)
- 조영문 (영동대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2014.04.13
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
This study aimed to assess the influence of burnout with satisfaction of basic psychological needs among nurses. From oct, 25, 2013 to nov, 25, 2013, participants included 160 nurses from 6 major general hospital located in urban areas in Korea. Data for basic psychological needs and burnout were collected through a self-reported questionnaire and were analyzed with independent t-test and analysis of variance, Pearson's correlation analysis, and multiple linear regression analysis. This study shows negative correlations between burnout and autonomy(r=-.45, P<.001), competency(r=-.52, P<.001), relatedness(r=-.49, P<.001). The variables predicting burnout were autonomy(
- Dong-Ho Gim, The effect on burnout by multicultural counselor's cultural competence: mediating effect of empathy ability and feminist therapist competence. Unpublished master's thesis, Korean National University of Education. 2013.
- In-Soon Kim, The role of self-efficacy and social support in the relationship between emotional labor and burnout, turn over intention among hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 515-526, 2009.
- Kyung-Jin Choi, Sang-Sook Han, The influence of the job stress, job satisfaction and social support of clinical nurse's burnout. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 55-61, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.1.055
- Soon-Lim Jeong, Eun-Nam Lee, Young-Sun Song, The main & buffering effects of perceived social support on burnout of insurance review nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 482-490, 2006.
- H. T. Reis, K. M. Sheldon, S. L. Gable, J. Roscoe, & R. M. Ryan, Daily well-being: The role of autonomy, competence, and relatedness. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 419-435, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167200266002
- D. S. Byun, Y. H. Yum, Factors affecting the burnout of clinical nurse-Focused on emotional labor. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 444-454, 2009.
- In-Sun Kim, A Study on the effect of emotional hardship on job satisfaction and turnover of nurses in the correctional field. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 515-526, 2009.
- Mi-Ok Lee, So-Yeon Ryu, Ik-Gun Byeon, Jung-Hee Park, A study on the relationship between job stress and depression in clinical nurses. Medical Journal, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 27-36, 2004.
- R. Lavandero, Burnout Phenomenon: A descriptive study among nurses. American Journal of Nursing, Vol. 81, No. 2p. 356, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000446-198102000-00017
- Keum-Suk Yoon, Influences of job stress and burnout on turnover intention of nurse. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 507-516, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507
- The survey of hospital Nursing staffing. 2013.
- Hsiu-Yueh Hsu, Sheng-Hwang Chen, Hsing-Yi Yu, Jiunn-Horng Lou, Job stress, achievement motivation and occupational burnout among male nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 66, No. 7, pp. 1592-1601, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05323.x
- Hang-Nan Cho, Soo-Jin Kim, Relationship of job stress, hardiness and burnout among emergency room nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 11-19, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.1.11
- Yeong-Ok Kim, A study of factors predicting burnout in hospital staff nurses. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 27-36, 2002.
- R. M. Ryan, E. L. Deci, The "What" and "Why" of goal pursuits : Human needs and the self-determination of behavior. Psychology Inquiry, pp227-268, 2000.
- Hey-Soo Lee, Hee-Kyung Lee, The relation between adult attachment and burnout in novice counselors: The mediation effect of basic psychological needs satisfaction. Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 1433-1449, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.5.201110.1433
- Young-Mun Cho, The association of compliance with sick role behavior with satisfaction of basic psychological needs among hemodialysis patient. Korean Journal of Health Promotion, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 58-65, 2012.
- R. M. Ryan, E. L. Deci, Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being. American psychologist, Vol. 55 No. 1, pp. 68-78, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.68
- Sun-Gyung Baek, Sei-yi Oh, The effect of exercise participants satisfaction with their basic psychological needs satisfaction and exercise emotion on their intention to continue. Journal of sport and leisure studies, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 77-85, 2011.
- Yong-Gak Jung, The relationships between basic psychological need satisfaction, sport participation motivation and persistence intention among participants in leisure sport. Journal of sport and leisure studies, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 1591-1604., 2008.
- Doe-Hee Ahn, Kwi-Hwa Park, Jae-Woo Jung, The relationship between autonomy support, basic need, and psychological well-being. Journal of Korean Youth Research Association, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 315-338., 2008.
- Jem-Ma Lim, The relations between emotional laborand psychological burn out of flight attendant: moderating effects of adult attachments and basic psychological needs satisfaction. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang Cyber University. 2014.
- Sun Choi, The Influence of working environment of schools on burnout and engagement among teachers: The mediating effect of automous motivation. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University. 2012.
- C. Korunka, B. Kubicek, W. B. Schaufeli, & P. Hoonakker, Work engagement and burnout: testing the robustness of the job demands-resource model. The Journal of Positive Psychology, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 243-255, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/17439760902879976
- R. M. Ryan, E. L. Deci, Avoiding death or engaging Life as accounts of meaning and culture. Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 130No. 3, pp. 473-477, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.130.3.473
- Myeng-Hee Lee, Ah-Young Kim,. Development and construct validation of the basic psychological needs scale for korean adolescents: Based on the self-determination theory. The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 157-174, 2008.
- Eun-Hee Peak, Nurses burnout level of experience and job satisfaction correlation research. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University. 1983.
- Ya-Gi Yang, A Study on burnout, emotional labor, and self-efficacy in nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 423-463, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.423
- Sun-Nm Lee, Relation of among emotional labor, burn out and job involvement of nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University. 2010.
- Mi-Sook Oh, The burnout and coping type of ICU nurses and nurses working in general ward. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University. 2005.
- Kyoung-Ja Kwon, Seung-Hee Lee, Occupational stress and coping styles as factors affecting the burnout of clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 383-393, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.383
- Hyoung-Sook Park, Kyoung-Nam Kim, Factors affecting burnout in ICU nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 409-418, 2010.
- Nan-Hee Lee, A Study on the relationship among self-efficacy of psychiatric nurses, job stress and burnout. Nursing Science, Vol. 23No. 2, pp. 47-59, 2011.
- Ji-Yeon Hong, Ok-Hyun Kim, & Eun-Kyung Lee. The relationship among nurse-doctor collaboration, job autonomy and organizational commitment. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing administration, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 601-609, 2009.
- Jae-seok Ok, A Study on relationship between teaching autonomy and burnout by special school teachers. Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu University. 2010.
- Sang-Kyu Hwang, Bong-Jae Lee, A Study on the impact of professional burnout and job autonomy on turnover intention in radiologic technologists. Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 267-275, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2011.5.5.267