- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Partial Denture Prosthesis Implant and Necessity Thereof in Korean Elderly : Analysis of the Data from the 5th National Health Nutrition Survey(2010-2012)
한국노인의 가공의치 보철장착실태 및 필요도: 제5기 국민건강영양조사자료 분석(2010-2012)
- Yun, Hyun-Kyung (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Andong Science College) ;
- Lee, Jong-Hwa (Dept. of Dental Laboratory Technology, Gimcheon University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Hee (Dept. of Dental Laboratory Technology, Daegu Health College)
- Received : 2014.04.01
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
The purpose of this study was to provide the data for discussion related to oral health promotion policies for the elderly by examining and analyzing the prosthesis conditions and necessity for the fixed and removable dentures among the Korean elderly. The data, obtained from 4,557 elderly aged at 65 or higher who were targeted for the 5th National Health Nutrition Survey, were analyzed through the complex sample frequency analysis, complex sample cross analysis, and complex sample logistic regression analysis. The results of analysis showed significant relevance of whole denture implant and the necessity thereof in older subjects, rural community, and subjects with lower education background, regarding the state of upper jaw/lower jaw prosthesis and the necessity for upper jaw/lower jaw fixed partial denture/whole denture. In addition, the necessity for prosthesis implant was found to have correlation with the income and subjective health condition, while the necessity for artificial teeth(denture) was found to have correlation with the gender, age, education, and subjective oral health condition. Therefore, it is considered necessary to map out the prevention and treatment policies designed to help maintain and promote oral health based on oral health education, along with the policies that aim to recover the neutralized oral health functions, in relation to the oral health of the elderly.
Fixed partial denture;Prosthesis implant status;Oral health condition;Elderly;National Health Nutrition Survey
- A comprehensive plan for senior citizen who lives alone, Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs. Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare. pp. 3-11, 2012.
- Ji-Young Bae, The effect of Oral Health on the Quality of life of the Elderly. Department of Public Health Master's thesis, Yeungnam University, 2008.
- Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs. Policy planning for oral Health promotion. Seoul, pp. 55-58, 2000.
- Eliasson L, Birkhed D, Osterberg T, Carlen, A Minorsalivary gland secretion rates and immunoglobulin A inadults and the elderly. Eur J Oral Sci, No. 114, pp. 494-499, 2006.
- Jong-Bae Kim, Yoo-Jin Chol, Puble Health. Seoul: Komoonsa, 1999.
- Steele JG, Sanders AE, Slade GD, et al, How doage and tooth loss affect oral health impacts and quality of life A study comparing two national samples. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 107-114, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0301-5661.2004.00131.x
- Akifusa S, Soh I, Ansai T, et al, Realtionship of number of remaining teeth to Health-realted quality of life in community-dweling elderly. Gerodontol, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 91-97, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2005.00059.x
- Inglehart M, Bagramian Ra, Oral Health related quality of life. J Public Health Dent, Vol. 67, No. 2, pp. 1-11, 2002.
- Mi-Sun Yu, Hye-Won Cheon, On-Ju Ju, A study on the aspects of utilization of the dental Services for the Old and their related factors. J of Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 791-799, 2011.
- Sun-Mi Shin, A Study on the Oral Health Eduction Experinences and Needs of the Elderly. Department of Public Health Master's thesis, Dankook University. 2010.
- Ho-Keun Kwon, Young-Nam Kim, Bak-ll Kim, Ja-Hea Yoo, Woo-Sun Lee, The oral health status of low socioeconomic elderly people in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 87-96, 2004.
- Hye-Jung Jin, Dong-Kie Kim, Deok-Young Park, Baek-Il Kim, Keun-Bae Song, Youn-Hee Choi, Prevalence of demand for dentures in Korean elderly receiving governmental support funds. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 106-114, 2012.
- Korea Health panel's view on the restricted activity and unmet medical needs. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs Issue & Focus, Vol. 120, pp. 1-8, 2012.
- Application of public health insurance of denture for senior citizen in 2013, Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2012.
- Major contents about guarantee of public Health insurance in 2014, Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2013.
- Efficiency and equity of cigarette price, Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare forum, pp. 22-37, 2009.
- Korean National Oral Health Survey. Seoul, Ministry of Health and Welfare, pp. 240-279, 2006.
- Hyo-Kyung Jung, Jong Do Lee, A Study on the Dental Prosthesis status and needs of Elderly in Korea. The Korean Dental Technologist Association, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 315-324, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14347/kadt.2012.34.3.315
- Sok-Yoon Han, Bong-Jin Bae, Hwa-Sik Lee, Factors Affecting Period of weared and Post Management of Denture of the Elderly. The Journal of Korean academy of dental technology, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 433-445, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14347/kadt.2012.34.4.433
- Ji-Eun Jeon, Won-Gyun Chung, Nam-Hee Kim, The reason of unmet dental need related socioeconomic status in Korea: Using the 4th Korea National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health March, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 73-78, 2012.
- Sun-Jin Kim, A Study on the Effectiveness of Government-Assisted Denture Prosthodontic Program for Seniors. Master's thesis, Catholic University. 2011.
- Sander AE, Spencer AJ, Slade GD, Evaluating the role of dental behavior in oral Health inequalities. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol. 34, pp. 71-79, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00261.x
- Kwon-Suk Ahn, Mi-A Shin, Association between oral Health status and oral health impact profile(OHIP-14) among the community elderlies. Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 923-938, 2011.
- Yeun-Joung Lyoo, A Questionnaire on Awareness About the Dental Implant, Department of Oral Health, Master's thesis, Dankook University. 2004.
- Re-Ra, Lee, Patients Perception On Dental Implant Therapy. Master's thesis, Hanyang University. 2011.
- Ik-Gang Hur, Tae-Yong Lee, Jin-Keun Dong, Song-Hee Hong, The effects of dental prostheses to the quality of life among the elderly. The Journal of Korean Academy of Prosthodontics, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 101-110, 2010. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2010.48.2.101 https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2010.48.2.101
- Young-Soon Won, So-Young Park, Influences of Health behaviors and perceived oral symptomson subjective oral Health status. Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 787-789, 2013. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.787 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.787
- Eun-Hee Kim, Min-Kyoung Park, In-Young Ku, Seon-Jeong Moon, Seung-Hyeon Kim, The Impact of Oral Health Impact Profile(OHIP-14) of Subjectively Reported Oral Status in the Elderly. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 9 pp. 4349-4358, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4349 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4349
- Ho-Ken Kwon, Young-Nam, Kim, Bak-Ill, Kim, Woo-Sun, Lee, Ja-Hea, Yoo. The Oral Health Status of Low Socioeconomic Elderiy People in Korea, Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 87-95, 2004.