- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Typology of Gender Role Identity in Middle-aged Women using Q Methodology
중년기 여성의 성역할정체감에 대한 인식: Q방법론적 접근
- Ko, Sung-Hee (Dept. of Nursing, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Park, Euna (Dept. of Nursing, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Myung-Ae (Dept. of Nursing, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2014.04.01
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
This study aims to contribute to our knowledge on gender role identity of middle-aged women within the Korean context. This research adapting Q methodology created a sampling distribution of P with 40 middle-aged women between 40-60 years old. We put each of 40 Q samples to become a forced distribution into 9 scales. And then we conducted a secondary analysis of the results from the principal component factor analysis by the PC QUANL program. Gender role identities of middle aged women were classified as four types: "affectionate-sensitive type", "affectionate-confident type", "assertive-confident type", and "sensitive-dominant type". Most of the middle-aged women in Korea tend to keep their original gender role identities. Some of women, however, experience the gender role identity change over time that their traits of traditional caring become more prominent than their affectionate character.
- M. E. Lachman, Development in midlife. Annual Review of Psychology, Vol. 55, pp. 305-331, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.55.090902.141521
- R. Havighurst, Successful aging. The Gerontologist. Vol. 1, pp. 8-13, 1961. Citedby P. Ryan, B. J. Coughlan, Aging and older adult mental health. New York: Routledge, 2011.
- B. H. Kim, Y. S. Kim, J. E. Choi, H. W. Jeon, Y. Jung, A Study on the subjectivity of the meaning of life for middle-aged women. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 177-187, 2005.
- S. H. Jung, Sociology in middle-aged. Paju: Sallimbooks, 2012.
- V. Muhlbauer, J. C. Chrisler, editors. Psychological perspectives: Women over 50. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company, 2007.
- S. G. Kwak, H. S. Jo, H. K. Yoon, The perceived experiences of gender-role development and conflicts at each Life stage. Journal of Korean Women's Studies, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 147-179, 2005.
- S. L. Bem, Sex role adaptability: One consequence of psychological androgyny. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 634-643, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077098
- S. N. Kim, S. O. Choi, K. I. Shin, J. J. Lee, The relationships between sex-role identity and the meaning in life for a matriarch. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 190-200, 2002.
- M. H. Sung, Relationship between sex role identity type, sexual consciousness, sexual behaviors and sexual impulse of university students, Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 73-80, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.1.73
- K. Y. Jeong, H. S. Kim, J. H. Lee, An Analysis of defense styles by gender-role identity and sex in undergraduate students. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 21-46, 2012.
- E. A. Park, S. H. Ko, M. A. Kim, Understanding the gender role identity among adolescent male. Journal of Korean Society for the Scientific Study of Subjectivity, Vol. 22, pp. 147-160, 2011.
- K. S. Park, M. C. Kim, A Study on adjustment of mid-life women: focused on women's attitudes toword the menopause and transitions of sex role identity. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 65-80, 1991.
- J. D. Sinnott, K. Sifren, Gender and aging: Gender differences and gender roles, San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2001.
- H. K. Kim, Q methodology: philosophy, theories, analysis, and application. Seoul: Communicationbooks, 2008.
- M. E. Heilman, J. J. Chen, Same behavior, different consequences: Tractions to men's and women's altruistic citizenship behavior. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 90, pp. 431-441, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.3.431
- M. E. Heilman, Gender stereotypes and workplace bias. Research in Organizational Behavior. Vol. 32, pp. 113-135, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.riob.2012.11.003
- W. S. Battle, Women's inhibition of self-advocacy: Avoiding the consequences of gender deviance. Ph.D. Dissertation, New York University, 2008.
- J. H. Ha, J. H. Kim, Development and validation of the Korean middle-aged female gender role conflict scale. Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 2987-3007, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.6.201212.2987
- S. Y. Han, Meaning and pleasure in elderly. Seoul: Hakjisa, 2000.
- Y. J. Kang, Late middle-aged women's life experiences in transition to old age: How do they adapt to "aging" in Korean Society?. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 42, No. 7, pp. 145-164, 2004.
- G. Anh, J. Y. Choi, Comparison about gender role between middle-aged women with neurosis and normal mood. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 262-268, 1991.
- E. A. Lee. The relationships of the middle-aged married men and women's gender-role attitude and psychological adjustment. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 25-42, 2006.
- Life's Experiences of Middle-aged Divorced Women with Higher Education and Profession vol.22, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2016.22.1.11