- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Myofascial Release on Nerve Conduction Studies and Pain Scale in Middle-Aged Women
중년여성에서 근막이완요법이 신경전도와 통증에 미치는 영향
- Yon, Jung-Min (Dept. of Clinical Pathology, College of Health of Welfare, Kyungwoon University) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Kyung (Dept. of Medical Administration, Daejeon Health Sciences College) ;
- Lee, Og-Kyoung (Dept. of Clinical Laboratory Science, Daejeon Health Sciences College)
- Received : 2014.03.26
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of myofascical release (MR) on the degree of pain and nerve conduction velocity (NCV) in middle-aged women. Participants were 28 middle-aged women and MR carried out three times (1, 3, 5 day) at intervals of two times. We did survey about changes of pain before the MR and how they changed after the MR. Also measured pressure pain threshold (PPT) and visual analogue scale (VAS) by using the algometer at trapezius muscle. In median nerve, we did motor nerve conduction velocity (MNCV) test and sensory nerve conduction velocity (SNCV) test for measuring incubation period, amplitude and nerve conduction. The most painful time was 18~21 and the most painful part was shoulder. The pain scale, PPT and VAS after the MR had significantly decreased than before the MR. The latency was significantly decreased and the amplitude was significantly increased in the MNCV and the latency was significantly decreased in the SNCV after the MR. Also it was effective in ameliorating pain scale and latency of NCV. Consequently, the MR can be effective in prevent pain scale caused by fatigue in middle-aged women as replacement therapy.
Median nerve;Middle-aged women;Myofascial release;Nerve conduction study;Pain
- Y. S. Byeon, Fatigue an exercise in middle-aged women. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 307-315, 2003.
- B. H. Park, Y. S. Lee, The Relationship between the Stress and Climacteric symptoms of Middle-Aged Women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 383-397, 2000.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Korea national Health and nutrition survey, year 2010. http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/Index.do
- S. Aroori, R. A. Spence, Carpal tunnel syndrome. Ulster Medical Journal, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 6-17. 2009.
- H. Miranda, L. Punnett, E. Viikari-Juntura, M. Heliovaara, P. Knekt, Physical work and chronic shoulder disorder. Results of a prospective population-based study. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, Vol. 67, No. 2, pp. 218-223, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2007.069419
- H. Azadeh, M. Dehghani, A. Zarezadeh, Incidence of trapezius myofascial trigger points in patients with the possible carpal tunnel syndrome. Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 250-255, 2010.
- M. S. Ju, S. Lee, I. Bae, M. H. Hur, K. Seong, M. S. Lee, Effects of aroma massage on home blood pressure, ambulatory blood pressure, and sleep quality in middle-aged women with hypertension. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine, Vol. 2013, No. 403251, 2013.
- A. Palasuwan, I. Margaritis, S. Soogarun, A. S. Rousseau, Dietary intakes and antioxidant status in mind-body exercising pre-and postmenopausal women. The Journal of Nutrition Health and Aging, Vol. 25, No. 7, pp. 577-584, 2011.
- A. M. Castro-Sanchez, G. A. Mataran-Penarrocha, M. Arroyo-Morales, M. Saavedra-Hernandez, C. Fernandez-Sola, C. Moreno-Lorenzo, Effects of myofascial release techniques on pain, physical function, and postural stability in patients with fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial. Clinical Rehabilitation, Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 800-813, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215511399476
- A. M. Casatro-Sanchez, G. A. Mataran-Penarrocha, J. Granero-Molina, G. Aguilera-Manrique, J. M. Quesada-Rubio, C. Moreno-Lorenzo, Benefits of massage-myofascial release therapy on pain, anxiety, quality of sleep, depression, and quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Vol. 2011, No. 561753, 2011.
- M. Revel, C. Andre-Deshays, M. Minguet, Cervicocephalic kinesthetic sensibility in patients with cervical pain. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol. 72, No. 5, pp. 288-291, 1991.
- A. M. Kinser, W. A. Sand s, M. H. Stone, Reliability and validity of a Pressure algometer. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 312-314, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e31818f051c
- T. S. Kuan, Current studies on myofascial pain syndrome. Current Pain and Headache Reports, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 365-369, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11916-009-0059-0
- R. A. Werner, M. Andary, Electro-diagnostic evaluation of carpal tunnel syndrome. Muscle Nerve, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 597-607, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.22208
- T. Mainka, F. S. Bischoff, R. Baron, E. K. Krumova, V. Nicolas, W. Pennekamp, R. D. Treede, J. Vollert, A. Westermann, C. Maier, Comparison of muscle and joint pressure-pain thresholds in patients with complex regional pain syndrome and upper limb pain of other origin. Pain, Vol. 155, No. 3, pp. 591-897, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2013.12.014
- Z. Zheng, J. Wang, Q. Gao, J. Hou, L. Ma, C. Jiang, G. Chen. Therapeutic evaluation of lumbar tender point deep massage for chronic non-specific low back pain. Journal of traditional Chinese medicine, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 534-537, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(13)60066-7
- S. Sunderland, Nerves and nerve injuries. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1978.
- E. A. Lesser, S. Venkatesh, D. C. Preston, E. L. Logigian, Stimulation distal to the lesion in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. Muscle Nerve, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 503-507, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.880180505
- J. C. Stevens, AAEM minimonograph #26: the electrodiagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine. Muscle Nerve, Vol. 20, No. 12, pp. 1477-1486, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4598(199712)20:12<1477::AID-MUS1>3.0.CO;2-5
- S. J. Oh, Clinical Electromyography: Nerve and Conduction Studies. Lippincot Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2003.