- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing to the Cultural Competence in Nursing Students
간호대학생의 문화적 역량 영향요인
- Seo, Young Sook (Department of Nursing, Kyungju University) ;
- Kwon, Young-Chae (Department of Nursing, Kaya university)
- Received : 2014.03.31
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the level of multicultural competencies and influencing factors of multicultural competencies in nursing students. The participants of 181 subjects were recruited from three colleges in K and B. A structured questionnaire was used to collect data, and data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, one way-ANOVA and multiple regression with SPSS/WIN 17.0. Results showed that cultural competence of nursing students was middle range. There was a significant positive correlation between cultural competence, empathy, and self-efficacy. The significant factors influencing cultural competence of nursing students were empathy, self-efficacy, and education of multiple cultural. These three factors explained 51% of the variance in multicultural competencies of nursing students. The study finding suggest that to develop the learning program with achievement level of multicultural competencies for nursing students.
Cultural competency;Empathy;Self- efficacy;Nursing;Students
- Ministry of Public Administration and security, Survey results on foreign residents of local governments in 2011. Retrieved January 29, 2012, from http://www.mopas.go.kr/gpms/ns/mogaha/user/userlayout/bulletin/userBtView.action?userBtBean.bbsSeq=1021046&userBtBean.ctxCd=1291&userBtBean.ctxType=21010002&CurrentPage=1, 2011.
- Chae, D. H., Park, Y. H., Kang, K. H., & Lee, T. H, A study on factors affecting cultural competency of general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 18(1), 76-86, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.76
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Tool kit of resources for cultural competent education for baccalaureate nurses. Retrieved June 20, 2012, from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/education-resources/Tool kit.pdf, 2012.
- Oh, W. O, Factors Influencing cultural sensitivity among nursing students. Journal Korean Academy of Nursing, 17(4), 222-229, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.4.222
- Baek, J. E, A study on cultural competency assessment tools, Mental Health Policy Forum, 5, 162-180, 2011.
- Campinha-Bacote, J, The process of cultural competence in the delivery of healthcare services: The journey continues(5th ed.). Cincinnati, OH: Transcultural C.A.R.E. Associates, 2007.
- Majumdar, B., Browne, G., Roberts, J., & Carpio, B, Effects of cultural sensitivity training on Health care provider attitudes and patient outcomes. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 36, 161-166, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2004.04029.x
- Yang, S. Y., Lim, H. N., & Lee, J. H, The study on relationship between cultural competency and empathy of nursing students. Journal Korean Society of Nursing Education, 19(2), 183-193, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183
- Kim, M. K, A qualitative study on university students' multi-cultural competence: Focusing on the cultural cognition, cultural knowledge and cultural skill, Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 9(6), 945-965, 2010.
- Kim, K. S., & Yu, M, The influencing factors associated cultural awareness of immigrants for marriage, foreign workers in korean nursing students. Korean Journal Adult Nursing, 24(5), 531-539, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.5.531
- Dawson, L., & Lighthouse, S, Assessment of self-efficacy for cultural competence in prescribing. The Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 6, 44-48, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2009.02.012
- Ah, Y. A, The effects of multi-cultural school environments on multi-cultural attitudes of adolescents, Youth Welfare Research, 15(1), 77-100, 2013.
- Rew, L., Becker, H., Cookston, J., Khosropours, S., & Martinez, S, Measuring cultural awareness in nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 42 (6), 249-257, 2003.
- Bandura, A, Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York, NY: Freeman, 1997.
- Cuellar, N. G., Brennan, A. M., Vito, K., & de Leon Siantz, M. L, Cultural competence in the undergraduate nursing curriculum. Journal of Professional Nursing, 24(3), 143-149, 2008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2008.01.004
- Benkert, R., Templin, T., Schim, S. M., Doorenbos, A. Z., & Bell, S. E, Testing a multi-group model of culturally competent behaviors among underrepresented nurse practitioners. Research in Nursing and Health, 34(4), 327-341, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20441
- Park. M. H., & Park. E. H, Effect of cultural competence education for nurse. Multi-cultural Education Studies. 6(2), 115-133, 2013.
- Park, S. H., Lee, J. H., & Kim, E. J, Effects of the multi-cultural program on the promotion of cultural sensitivity in college students, Youth Welfare Research, 18(6), 123-145, 2011.
- Caffrey, R. A., Neander, W., Markle, D., & Stewart, B, Improving the cultural competence of nursing students: results of integrating cultural content in the curriculum and an International immersion experience. Journal of Nursing Education, 44(5), 234-24, 2005.
- Schim, S. M., Benkert, R., Doorenbos, A. Z., & Miller, J, Development of a cultural competence assessment instrument. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 11(1), 29-4, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1891/jnum.220.127.116.11062
- Davis, M. H, Empathy: A social psychological approach. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1996.
- Jeon, B. S, The relationship between empathy and altruistic behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon. 178-188, 2002
- Ko, E. J, Improvement of under achiever's confidence and self-esteem using music therapy program. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chungcheongbuk-Do, 2004.
- Kim, D. H. & Kim, S. E, Cultural competence and factors influencing cultural competence in nursing students, Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 22(3), 159-168, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.3.159
- Bandura, A, Self-efficacy in changing societies. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Kim, H. K., & Min, H. Y, A study on related variables of job involvement of visiting supervisors for multi-cultural families. Journal of Family Relations, 16, 143-158, 2011.
- Koo, H. Y, Effects of the enneagram group counseling program on self-esteem, anxiety and interpersonal relationships in nursing students. Journal Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 17(3), 446-455, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.444
- Moon, S. M, A study on the effects of human relations training of University students. Journal of Gyeongsang National University, 19, 195-204, 1980.
- Cuellar, N. G., Brennan, A. M., Vito, K., & Siantz, L, Cultural competence in the undergraduate Nursing curriculum. Journal of Professional Nursing, 24(3), 143-149, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2008.01.004
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family (2011). Development of training programs for enhancing multi-cultural understanding: Foundation Institute, 2011.
- Peek, E. H. & Park, C. S, Effects of a Multi-cultural Education Program on the Cultural Competence, Empathy and Self-efficacy of Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 43(5), 577-696, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.690
- Cultural Competence and Influencing Factors of Dental Hygiene Students vol.17, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.3.242
- Effects on Critical Thinking Disposition and Empathy on Cultural Competency in Nursing Students vol.25, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.4.347
- Development of a Cultural Competence Scale for Nursing Students vol.45, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.684
- Predictors of self-perceived cultural responsiveness in entry-level physiotherapy students in Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand vol.19, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-019-1487-0