- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experiences of Stroke Patients With Combined Treatment of Self-selected Oriental and Western Medicine
뇌졸중 환자의 자가 선택에 의한 한·양방 병행 치료 경험
- Han, Jin-Sook (Department of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Kim, Yang-Sin (Department of Nursing, Munkyung University) ;
- Moon, Young-Sook (Department of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Han, Su-Jeong (Department of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Park, In-Sook (Department of Nursing, Chungnam University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Hun (Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Kim, Ae-Ran (Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine)
- 한진숙 (건양대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김양신 (문경대학교 간호학과) ;
- 문영숙 (건양대학교 간호학과) ;
- 한수정 (건양대학교 간호학과) ;
- 박인숙 (충남대학교 간호대학) ;
- 이상훈 (한국한의학연구원) ;
- 김애란 (한국한의학연구원)
- Received : 2014.03.10
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
This research was done to determine and analyze a qualitative on the essential structure of the experiences of stroke patients with combined treatment of oriental and western medicine. Methods: Participants in this study were targeting 25 stroke patients who live mostly in D city and received the combined treatment of oriental and western medicine, but received oriental medicine treatments based on their own wills. Data were collected and recorded through in-depth interviews. Data analysis was conducted by Colaizzi's phenomenological method. Results: As a result, their acculturation were classified into 21 clusters of theme and 6 categories. Selected 6 categories as follows. 'being severely shocked from sudden attack', 'being depressed with rehabilitation', 'western therapy was more effective in emergency situations', 'having limitations in western therapy', 'selecting oriental therapy for themselves', 'discovering the meaning of rehabilitation in oriental therapy'. Conclusion: Based on these necessary data for systematic oriental rehabilitation development.
Experience;Stroke;Combined Treatment;Western Medicine;Oriental Medicine
- D. H. Kim., & K. H. Lee, Utilizing pattern and attitude on collaborating care of korean traditional medicine and westernm medicine among cerebral apoplexy patients. Korean Journal of Hospital Management, Vol. 9(2), pp. 76-101, 2004.
- Statistical report of causes of death in korea in 2011. [cited on September 13, 2012], Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp. (accessed May., 10, 2013)
- J. B. Yang, A study on the major factors affecting health-related quality of Life of elderly stroke survivors. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 30(4), pp. 1239-1261, 2010.
- Y. A. Lee, Patients' lived experience in rehabilitating from stroke. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol. 4(1), pp. 20-30, 2001.
- K. S. Choi, S. A. Chi., & M. Y. Ham, An ethnographic study of the experience of stroke recovery, Chung-Ang Journal of Nursing, Vol. 7(1), pp. 1-7, 2003.
- C. Y. Yang, et al., A survey on the use of oriental medicine and complementary & alternative medicine in the stroke patients of korea. Journal of Wonkwang Medical Science, Vol. 19(2), pp. 311-322, 2004.
- L. S. Kim, The experience of the stroke patients about the use of oriental medicine. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 11(1), pp. 82-92, 1997.
- H. S. Kim., & Y. S. Kim, A study on the quality of life, self-efficacy and family support of stroke patients in oriental medicine hospitals. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 20(1), pp. 111-130, 2003.
- I. J. Song, Change the quality of life according to elapsing time in stroke patient. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2012.
- P. E. Colaizzi, Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it. Existential Phenomenological Alternatives for Psychology. Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 48-71, 1978.
- E. G. Guba., & Y. S. Lincoln, Effective Evaluation. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 1989.
- F. Hjelmblink., & I. Holmstrom, To cope with uncertainty : stroke patient's use of temporal models in narratives. Journal of Caring Science, Vol. 20(4), pp. 367-374, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6712.2006.00415.x
- H. C. Kim, et al., Quality of Life after stroke. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 41(4), pp. 681-692, 2002.
- A Study about the Quality of Life and QALYs of Stroke Patients according to the Medical Care Utilization Behavior: Findings from the 2009–2012 Korea Health Panel Data vol.37, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13048/jkm.16005