- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of Perceived Nurse's Communication Style on Admitted Children Mother's Stress and Coping
지각된 간호사의 의사소통 스타일이 입원 환아 어머니의 스트레스 및 대처노력에 미치는 영향
- Park, In Sook (Dept. of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Oh, Jaewoo (Dept. of Nursing, Chungbuk Health & Science University) ;
- Kim, Yang-Sin (Dept. of Nursing, Moonkyoung University)
- Received : 2014.03.20
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
The basic data will be provided for increasing the coping efforts and for decreasing the improvement of nursing services and stress in mothers of hospitalized child by examining the effects of the nurse's communication styles on the stress and coping efforts in mothers of hospitalized child. This study is the correlation research, and the data collection was conducted from September 2013 until December, and it was based on 196 mothers of hospitalized child in the pediatrics ward of E hospital in D city 196. The data collected was analyzed by the frequency, percentage average, standard deviation, Pearson correlation coefficient, regression analysis method. As the result of the study, about the effects of the nurse's perceived communication styles on the stress and coping efforts in mothers of hospitalized child, the nurse's non-authoritative communication style had the biggest effects on the stress, and the explanation power of those variables was 30.1%. In conclusion, in order to decrease the stress in mothers of hospitalized child and to enhance coping efforts, the nurses should sublate the authoritarian attitude and they should show the communication skills of friendly attitude and communication skills of the informative attitude. These communication skills are needed to be maintained and enhanced continually through the systematic communication enhancement program.
- H. K. Kang, B. S. Kwon, J. S. Kim, Y. H. Kim, & K. S. Baek, Child Health Nursing. Seoul: Juugdam, 2002.
- D. Y. Won., Effects of providing invasive procedure Nursing information on the parents coping. Ph.D. dissertation, Yonsei University, 1999.
- Kristensson-Hallstrom, I., Parental participation in pediatric surgical care. Association of Operating Room Nurses Journal, Vol. 71, No. 5, pp. 1021-1029, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-2092(06)61551-2
- Y. S. Moon, A study on emotion alanxiety of mothers who have hospitalized. A master'sthesis, Chungnam University, 1989.
- Palmer, S. J., Care of sick children by parents: A meaningful role. Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 18, pp. 185-19, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1993.18020185.x
- Y. M. Su, I. S. Kwon, M. O. Jo, & W. J. Choi,. Nursing needs of hospitalized children parents. Child Health Nursing Research, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 59-69, 1999.
- McCubbin, H. R., McCubbin, M. A., Patterson, J. M., Cauble, E. A., Wilson, L. R., & Warwick, W., CHIP-Coping Health inventory for parents: An assessment of parental coping patterns in the care of the chronically ill child. Journal of Marriage and the Family, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 359-370, 1981.
- Eide, H., Quera, V., Graugaard, P., & Finset, A., Physician patient dialogue surrounding patient's expression of concern: Applying sequence analysis to RIAS. Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 59, pp. 145-155, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2003.10.011
- D. H. Kim,. Healthcare Communication. Journal of Communication in healthcare, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-6, 2006.
- Y. H. Jo, Mothers reaction to hospitalization of children. A master's thesis, Yonsei University, 1994.
- Plumridge, E., Goodyear-Smith, F., & Ross, J., Nurse and parent partnership during children's vaccination: A conversation analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 65, No. 6, pp. 1187-119, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.04999.x
- Salmon, P., & Young, B., Dependence and caring in clinical Communication: The relevance of attachment and other theories. Patient Education and Counseling, Vol. 74, No. 3, pp. 331-338, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2008.12.011
- Coffey, M., & Hewitt, J., You don't talk about the voices: Voice hearers and community mental health nurses talk about responding to voice hearing experiences. Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 12, pp. 1591-1600, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02185.x
- K. J. Lee, Communication and Nursing(3rd ed). Seoul: Sinkwang. 2011.
- S. H. Kim, Nurse's communication, trust in nurses, and satisfaction of nursing service perceived by inpatients. A master's thesis, Seoul University, 2013.
- H. J. Moon, & S. R. Shin, Study on Determinants of Nursing Needs of Mothers with Hospitalized Children. The Korean journal of fundamentals of nursing, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 234-243, 2003.
- J. A. Oh, A Study on Perception of Uncertainty and Coping Effort of Hospitalized Children's Mother. A master's thesis, Ewha University, 1997.
- J. R. No, Relationship of nurse's nonverbal communication to patient satisfaction at hospital. A master's thesis, Pusankatolic University, 2012.
- Y. S. Lee, A Study on the relationship between the Nurse's communication and outpatient's trust-satisfaction. A master's thesis, Ewha University, 2011.
- Y. S. Moon, A Study on the stress and coping effort of hospitalized children's mother. Journal of parent-child Health, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 147-15, 2007.
- O. N. Yu, A study on the stress of cleft-lip or/and cleft-palate children's mothers and their coping efforts. A master's thesis, Hanyang University, 1998.
- K. J. Jo, J. H. Song, I. Y. Yui, I. S. Park, E. S. Park, M. W. Kim, H. S. Kim & H. S. Sin, Pediatric Nursing. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa, 2012.
- N. L. No, A study on family stress of cleft-lip or/and cleft-palate children's parent's and their coping efforts. A master's thesis, Hanyang University, 1996.
- Travelbee, J., Interpersonal Aspect of Nursing(2nd ed). Philadelphia: F.A.Davis Company, 1971.
- M. S. Lee, Conversation Analysis for Improving Nursing Communication. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 772-780, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.772
- Hampe, S. O., Need of the grieving spouse in a Hospital Setting. Nursing Research, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 113-119, 1975.
- Impact of Maternal Uncertainty on Coping: Experiences from a General Hospital Pediatric Ward vol.24, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2018.24.4.364
- Factors influencing the caregiving performance of mothers of hospitalized toddlers with acute respiratory diseases: A path analysis pp.1741-2889, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1367493518767064