- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Nursing Student's Perceptions of Barriers on Sexuality : Sexuality Attitudes and Beliefs Survey
간호학생이 인지하는 성(Sexuality)건강 간호 장애 요인 : 성 태도와 신념에 관한 연구
- Chan, Mi Young (Gwangju University)
- 장미영 (광주대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2014.04.13
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
The purpose of this study was to identify and describe attitudes and beliefs that might act as barriers to addressing patient sexuality concerns and to determine the extent to which these attitudes and beliefs are influenced by personal factors such as age, gender, education. The Sexuality Attitudes and Beliefs Survey was used to assess nursing students(N=214). Important barriers to addressing patient sexuality reported by the majority of the students included not making time to address the concerns (86.9%) and Feeling confident in ability to address patients' sexual concerns(76.2%). A statistically significant difference was found in scores based on sex(p=0.03) and religion(p=0.02). Results of this study have implications for educational programs in dealing with patient sexuality.
Sexuality;Attitude;Belief;Nursing student;Sexual health
- World Health Organization. (2002). Sexual Health. Retrieved July 13, 2010. http://www.who.int/reproductive-health/gender/sexualhealth.html
- World Association for Sexual Health. (2008). The sexual health for the Mil-lenniu M. A declaration and technical document. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- M. A. Magnan & D. M. Norris, Nursing Student's Perception Barriers to addressing patient sexuality Concern. Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 47, No. 6, pp. 260-268, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20080601-06
- K. S. Kim, Sexual Health Care. Seoul: Koonja, 2013.
- C. Webb, A study of nurses' knowledge and attitudes about sexuality in health care. International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 25, pp. 235-244, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7489(88)90050-8
- S. Lewis & R. Bor, Nurses' knowledge of and attitude towards sexuality and the relationship of these with nursing practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 20, pp. 251-259, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1994.20020251.x
- Y. Rana, A. Kanik, A. Ozcan & S. Yuzer, Nurses' approaches to-wards sexuality of adolescent patients in Turkey. Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 16, pp. 638-645, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2005.01523.x
- K. E. Reynolds & M. A. Magnan, M.A, Nursing attitudes and beliefs toward human sexuality: Collaborative research promoting evidence-based practice. Clinical Nurse Specialist, Vol. 19, pp. 255-259, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002800-200509000-00009
- M. A. Magnan, K. E. Reyn Olds & E. A. Galvin, Barriers to addressing patients exuality in nursing practice. Dermatology Nursing, Vol. 14, pp. 282-289, 2006.
- M. A. Magnan, M.A., K. Reynolds, Barriers to addressing patient sexuality concerns across five areas of specialization. Clinical Nurse Specialist, Vol. 20, pp. 285-292, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002800-200611000-00009
- N. Saunamaki, M. Andersson & M. Engstrom, Discussing sexuality with patients: Nurses' attitudes and beliefs. Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 66, pp. 1308-1316, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05260.x
- J. O. Julien, B. Thom & N. C. Kline, Identification of Barriers to Sexual Health Assessment in Oncology Nursing Practice. Oncology Nursing Forum. Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 186-190, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.E186-E190
- H. W. Kim, Y. Y. Jung & S. M. Park, Evaluation Application of Korean Version of the Sexuality Attitudes and Beliefs Survey for nurses. Korean Society of Nursing Science, Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 889-897, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.6.889
- H.J. Wang, H. K. Kim & H. Y. Yoo, Experience of attending sexual health education, knowledge and healthcare attitudes of nurse clinicians. Korean Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 585-595, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.5.585
- J. M. Brown, E. M. Alverson & C. A. Pepa, The influence of abaccalaureate program on traditional, RN-BSN, and ac-celerated students; critical thinking abilities. Holistic Nursing practice, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 4-8, 2001.
- D. M. Schnarch & K.Jones, K. Efficacy of sex education courses in medical School. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy Vol. 7, pp. 307-317, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1080/00926238108405432
- C. Guthrie, Nurses' perception s of sexuality relating to patient care. Journal of Clinical Nursing. Vol. 8, pp. 313-321, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.1999.00253.x
- M. Dixon-Woods, J. Regan, N. Robertson, B. Young, C. Cordle & M. Tobin, Teaching and learning about human sexu-ality in undergraduate medical education. Medical Education, Vol.. 36, pp. 432-440, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2002.01198.x