- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The intellectual property factors affecting R&D outcome
연구개발성과에 영향을 미치는 지식재산요인
- Lee, Jae-Heon (Dept. of Management of Technology, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Cho, Keun-Tae (Dept. of Management of Technology, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Seong-Sang (Dept. of Techno-Marketing, Mokwon University)
- Received : 2014.04.18
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
The purpose of this research is to deduce the effects factor of R&D output and outcome in the aspect of the researcher's intellectual property capacity, and conduct an empirical analysis to see if there is intermediated effect between cooperation of a patent attorney and output. I applied three step, input (researcher's intellectual property capacity and intellectual property environment), output (number of patent and SCI paper), outcome (number of technology transfer, profit), and analyzed the effects of researcher's intellectual property factors on output and outcome through structural equation model. The results are as follows. First, there's no cooperation between a researcher and patent attorney, the researcher's knowledge on patent specification had direct effect on the output. Second, a researcher and an patent attorney cooperate, the cooperative activities have complete mediation effect on the output, and the researcher's will to commercialize the technology has direct effects on the output. Third, the intellectual property environment of the research organization gives direct effects on the researcher's intellectual property capacity, and gives indirect effects on the outcome. this study suggest that it is important to cooperate with external experts in order to excellent R&D outcome.
patent;technology transfer;output;intellectual property capacity
- Byung keun Kim, Hyun Jung Cho, Joo-Young Og, "A Study on the Technology Commercialization Process and Performance of Public Research Institutes in Korea using the Structural Equation Model", Journal of Korea technology innovation Society, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 552-577, 2011.
- Thursby, J.G., Thursby, M.C., "Who is selling the ivory tower? sources of growth in university licensing" management science, Vol. 48, pp. 90-104, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.220.127.116.1171
- Fahrenkreg, G.et al., "RTD Evaluation Tool box : assessing the socio-economic impact of RTD-polices, Institute for prospective technological studies", European Commission, 2002.
- Everett M. Rogers, Jing Yin, Joern Hoffmann, "Assessing the Effectiveness of Technology Transfer offices at U.S. Research Universities", The journel of the association of university technology managers, Vol. 12, pp. 47-80, 2000.
- Tae jin Choi, "A Strategic Design of the Government R&D Management System based on the Analysis of Relationship between R&D Program Types and their Output", Ph.D, department of venture technology & management, the graduate School of Konkuk University, 2007.
- Brown, M.G, Svenson, R.A, "Measuring R&D Prodectivity", Research Technology Management Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 12, 1988.
- Pinto, J. K., Covin, J. G., "Critical Factors in Project Implementation: A comparison of Construction & R&D Projects," Technovation, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 31-35, 1989.
- Reitzig, M., "How Executives can Enhance IP Strategy and Performance," Sloan Management Review, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 37-43, 2007.
- Powers,J.B., "commercializing Academic Research : Resource Effects on Performance of University, the Journal of higher education, Vol. 74, No. 1, pp. 26-50, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1353/jhe.2003.0005
- Seong Sang Lee, Yee Kyoung Kim, Lee Sung Ki "Analysis of Efficiency of Universities and PRIs in Technology Transfer and its Determinants", Journal of Intellectual Property Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 163-185, 2012.
- Lerner,J.,"The importance of patent scope: an empirical analysis" RAND Journal of Economics, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 319-333, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/2555833
- So Young Shon, "Development of Intellectual Property Management Index and Scorecard for Prediction of Performances of National R&D at Individual Laboratory Level", Industrial engineering & management system, pp. 647-654, 2008.
- Dou, H. and Bai, Y., "A rapid analysis of Avian Influenza patents in the Esp@cenet database - R&D strategies and country comparisons", World Patent Information, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 26-32, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wpi.2006.07.014
- Buru Im, Kyoo ho Park, Keon Lee, "The Effect of Prior Art Search on Patent Output from National R&D Program", Journal of the Korean Society for Technology Management & Economics, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 177-201, 2011.
- Yun Jun Lee, "Strategies for the successful technology transfer from public research instiutes in Korea", SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY POLICE INSTITUTE, 2007
- Thursby, J.G, Kemp, S.,"Growth and prodective Efficency of University intellectual property licensing", Research Policy, Vol.31 No.1 pp.109-124, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(00)00160-8
- Link, A. N., Siegel, D. S., "Generating Science Based Growth: An Econometric Analysis of the Impact of Organizational Incentives on University-Industry Technology Transfer", European Journal of Finance, No.11, pp. 169-182, 2005.
- Hyun Jung Cho, "A Study on the Performance Factors of Technology Commercialization of Universities in Korea in Terms of the Resources-based View", Journal of Intellectual Property Vol7, No. 3, pp. 217-245, 2012.
- Dong Sung Han, "A Study on the efficiency of universities technology transfer offices using SFA", Proceedings of the Korea Technology Innovation Society Conference, pp. 318-341, 2010.
- Byung R. Bae, "Structural Equation Modeling with Amos 17"(principles and Practice), 2007.
- Nunnally, J.C. and Berntein, I.H., Psychometric Theory, McGraw-Hill, INC, 1967.
- Euijoo Yim, Changone Kim, Keuntae Cho, "Job Roles and Performances of Industry-Academic Cooperation Foundation focused on Technology Commercialization and Startup-supporting Officers", Journal of Technology Innovation, Vol.21, No.2, pp.115-136, 2013.