- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effect of Network Embeddedness on Collaboration and Performance in the Project Supply Chain : Focusing on Second-tier Suppliers
프로젝트 공급망에서 네트워크 배태성이 협업과 기업성과에 미치는 영향연구 : 2차 협력업체를 중심으로
- Park, Seong Taek (School of Business, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Rhe, MoonKi Kyle (School of Business, SungKyunKwan University) ;
- Ryu, Seonjeong (School of Business, SungKyunKwan University)
- Received : 2014.03.09
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
The rapid trends toward outsourcing have created more complex and fragmented multi-tier supply chains for Engineering, Procurement & Construction(EPC) industry. Working with suppliers and sub-suppliers requires continuous integration activities during project execution. The purpose of this study is to identify the factors influencing the performances and relationship satisfaction of second-tier suppliers participating in the project-based supply chain. This study proposes the network embeddedness, collaboration, information-sharing and flexibility as antecedents variables, and collected the survey responses from the second-tier suppliers having experiences with complex projects. The statistical results indicate that the collaboration with supply chain leading firm and first-tier supplier has significant impact on the performances and relationship satisfaction of second-tier suppliers. It was also found that the information-sharing and flexibility influence the network embeddedness as well as collaboration, and that the embeddedness have significant impact on the collaboration.
SCM;Network Embeddedness;Collaboration;Information Sharing;Flexibility
- The Supply Chain Council, http//www.Supply chain.com/info/faq.html.
- Kim, TaeUng, Production and Operations Management, Shinyoungsa, Seoul, 2013.
- Harland, C., Knight, L., Lamming, R. C., & Walker, H., Outsourcing: Assessing the risks and benefits for Organizations, sectors and nations. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 831-850, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443570510613929
- Skilton, P. F., & Robinson, J. L., Traceability and normal accident theory: How does supply network complexity influence the traceability of adverse events? Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 40-53, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-493X.2009.03170.x
- Yeo, K. T. and Ning, J. H., Integrating Supply chain and critical chain concepts in engineer-procure-construct projects. International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 20, pp. 253-262, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(01)00021-7
- Choi, T. Y., & Linton, T., Don't let your supply chain control your business, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 89, December, pp. 112-117, 2011.
- Pathak, S. D., Day, J. M., Nair, A., Sawaya, W. J., & Kristal, M. M., Complexity and adaptivity in Supply networks: Building Supply network theory using a complex adaptive Systems perspective. Decision Sciences, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 547-571, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2007.00170.x
- Peng, T. A., Lin, N., Martinez, V., & Yu, C. J., Managing triads in a military avionics service maintenance network in Taiwan. International Journal of Operation sand Production Management, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 398-422, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443571011029985
- Li, M., & Choi, T. Y., Triads in services outsourcing: Bridge, bridge decay and bridge transfer. Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 27-39, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-493X.2009.03169.x
- Martinsuo, M. & T. Aholab, Supplier integration in complex delivery projects: Comparison between different buyer-supplier relationships. International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 28, pp. 107-116, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2009.09.004
- Williamson, O., Strategizing, economizing and economics Organization. Strategic Management Journal, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 75-94, 1991.
- Barney, J. B., Purchasing, supply chain management and sustained competitive advantage: The relevance of resource-Based theory. Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 3-6, 2012.
- Priem, R. L., & Swink, M., A demand-side perspective on supply chain management. Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 7-13, 2012.
- Zhao, X., Flynn, B. B., Roth, A. V., Decision sciences research in China : a critical review and research agenda: foundation s and overview, Decision Sciences, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 451-496, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5414.2006.00135.x
- Atuahene-Gima, K., Li, H., When does trust matter? Antecedents and contingent effects of supervisee trust on performance in selling new products in China and the United States, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 66, No. 3, pp. 61-81, 2002.
- Mena, C., A. Humphries, T.Y. Choi., Toward a Theory of Multi-Tier Supply Chain Management. Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 58-77, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/jscm.12003
- Rossetti, C., & Choi, T. Y., Supply management under high goal incongruence: An empirical examination of disintermediation in the aerospace supply chain. Decision Sciences, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 507-540, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2008.00201.x
- Granovetter, M., Economic action and social structure: The problem of embeddedness. American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 91, No. 3, pp. 481-516, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1086/228311
- Todorova, G., & B. Durisin. Absorptive capacity: valuating a reconceptualization, Academy of Management Review, 2007, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 774-786, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2007.25275513
- Zacharia, Z. G., N. W. Nixb, R. F. Lusch. Capabilities that enhance outcomes of an episodic supply chain collaboration, Journal of Operations Management 29, pp. 591-603, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2011.02.001
- Chang, Kuang-chi. Close but not committed? The multiple dimensions of relational embeddedness, Social Science Research 40, pp. 1214-1235, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2011.03.005
- Jap, S. D. Pie-Expansion Efforts: Collaboration Processes in Buyer-Supplier Relationships, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 461-475, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/3152000
- Dyer, J.H., Singh, H., The relational view: cooperative strategy and sources of inter organizational competitive advantage, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 660-679, 1988.
- Tyler, B., The complementarity of cooperative and technological competencies: a resource-Based perspective, Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, Vol. 18, pp. 1-27, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0923-4748(00)00031-X
- Hendricks, K.B., Singhal, V.R., Stratman, J.K., The impact of enterprise systems on corporate performance: a study of ERP, SCM, and CRM system implementations, Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 65-82, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2006.02.002
- Gosain, S., Malhotra, A., El Sawy, O.A., Coordinating for flexibility in e-business Supply chains. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 7-5, 2004.
- Cao, M. & Q. Zhang, Supply chain collaboration: Impact on collaborative advantage and firm Performance, Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 29, pp. 163-180, 2011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2010.12.008
- Lin, H-M, H-C Huang, C-P Lin, W-C Hsu, How to manage strategic alliances in OEM-based Industrial clusters: Network embeddedness and formal governance mechanisms, Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 41, pp. 449-459, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2011.04.003
- Sanders, R., Pattern of Information technology use: The impact on buyer-suppler coordination and performance, Journal of Operation s Management, Vol. 26, pp. 349-367, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2007.07.003
- Zhou, H. and W.C. Benton., Supply chain practice and information sharing, Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 25, pp. 1348-1365, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2007.01.009
- Kim, Tae Ung, An Exploratory Study on Information Sharing, Incentives and Collaboration in Project-based Supply Chain, Journal of the Korean Production and Operations Management Society, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 71-87, 2012.