- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Comparative analysis of cultural power as a soft power among national power
국력요소 중, 소프트파워로서의 문화경쟁력 비교분석 연구
- Choi, Chang-Hyun (Dept. of Public Administration, Kwandong University) ;
- Park, Jeong-Bae (Dept. of Public performance Management, Chungwoon University) ;
- Kim, Jong-Geun (Dept. of Public Policy and IT, Seoul National University of Science & Technology)
- Received : 2014.04.20
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
In this study, we performed an empirical research on how cultural power affects soft power as one of the elements of National Power. To fully exert the force of cultural power, appropriate level of "resources for power" need to be disseminated into cultural elements. Utilization of these resources need to appropriately developed and produced in quality and quantity when needed. This activity should be ensured with "composite support competence"; which is the combination of support organizations and their potentials. Indicators of cultural power includes society favorability rating, cultural favorability rating, E&D industry competitiveness index, and T&T competitiveness index. According to analysis of cultural power by each country, cultural industry (E&D) competitiveness index and travel and tourism (T&T) competitiveness index shows relatively high correlation. This research aims to analyze the "cultural power as soft power" of South Korea, China and US, and how they are different and how their resources of power are represented in their E&D and T&T competitiveness.
Soft Power;Cultural Power;E&M Market Competitiveness;T&T Competitiveness
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- IMD (International Institute for Management Development), (2013), World Competitiveness Index
- WEF (World Economic Forum), (2013), Global Competitiveness Index
- YongHo, Park, YeunSun, Hur(2008.3). United States Policy for African future prospects and strengthening trends. KIEP Regional Economic Focus Vol. 2, No. 3.
- WooHwan, Chung.(2008.7). Present statue and Insights for expanding in Africa of China & India Institute of International Trade
- Jeseph S. Nye Jr.(2004) Soft Power : The Means to Succeed in World Politics.
- SangBae, Kim(2009.9), Critical Understanding of the Concept of Smart Power : A Perspective of Middle-Power's Network Power. International Politics Vol 49-4
- Institute for International Trade(2009.06), International Trade Report
- SunJeong, Kim.(2009.6). Export status, and activated scheme in culture content industries.
- Korea Culture & Content Agency(2004). Comparative analysis of the competitiveness between Korean, China and Japan in cultural contents industry.
- KiYoung, Kwon.(2008.2.25.). World-wide strategy of China-Wave(Hwaryu) by public-private coalition. Dong-A monthly Magazine Volume 581.
- ManSuk, Kang.MinKyu, Kim.JeaMin, Lee.(2009.11). Status, and market advance scheme to china content industry. KOCCA FOCUS09-10.
- Weekly Chosun(2012.12.2.) Cultural Poweras of Soft Power, News.
- People's Forum Academic Frontier(2009.9.16.) Research Development of China's cultural industry.
- KyuDeuk, Whang.(2008.9). Future prospects, and strategy for energy security of the United States and China towards Africa. Institute of Foreign Affairs and National security.
- MinSuk, Kang, InKyu, Kim, JeaMin, Lee(2009.11). The present status and plan of market entry in China content industry. KOCCA FOCUS 09-10.
- MunhwaIlbo(2009.5.1.). China's Foreign diplomacy and Confucius Institute.
- YeongHo, Park, YunSeun, Hur.(2008.3), Trends, and future prospects to strengthen US Policy towards Africa. Volume 2, No. 3, local economy focus, KIEP.
- KiJeong, Kim, JaHyun, Chun.(2009). China's resource diplomacy between bilateralism and multilateralism : Comparison with China's resource diplomacy to Central Asia and Africa.
- The Asia Economy Daily(2009.11.9). China, aggressive assistance to Africa region, News
- The kukmin Ilbo(2013.10.07), [Yeoido Forum] Korean Wave, Soft Power, and Public diplomacy, News.
- HyunGon, Kim, Social Collaboration Paradigm and Digital Cooperation Government in the Web2.0 Era, NIA-II-PER-09075
- DongSung, Cho, WheiChang, Moon, IPS Natinal Competitiveness Research 2012: theory & application
- Chinese Academy of Social Science, Research for Total National Power, 2006
Jeseph S. Nye Jr.(2004) Soft Power. SuWeon, Hong.
. Sejong Institute.
- SetByol, Choi.MyoungJin, Lee.(2012.03), Basic Research for Constituting the South Korean Society's Cultural Capital Topographic Map :Based on Culture and Art Activities and Music Genre, Volume 13, No 1: 61-87
- SungDon, Whang, Study on the measurement of Total National Power- Focusing on education and science technology, 2009
- SungDon, Hwang, ChangHyun, Choi.(2014..02), What extent is our National Power positioned to?, Hansun Foundation.
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism(2012.1), Creative development strategies of traditional culture - the popularization and modernization and globalization.
- Korea Culture & Content Agency(2013.11). Development and characteristics of the UK creative industries Policy, KOOCA Focus, 2013-08(Vol 74),
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism(2010.11), Survey Report of traditional and cultural industries- Basic research for comprehensive development plan.
- YeonWoo, Lee, JeonGeun, Park, ICT and National Competitiveness: hard power, soft power, and smart power strategy, IT Policy Research Series, No. 24(2010.12), National Information Society Agency.
- New culture marketing of K-POP, wwwthekian,net 2011.04.05.
- KyuSang, Seul.(2009.6). Soft power theory and foreign development assistance in China : Focus on meaning and evaluation of development assistance towards Southeast Asia. Kangwon National Univ. Social Science Research Vol. 48, No. 1
- Ho-jun, Kim(2009.2). Evaluation of China national power, Volume 16, No. 3 politics, Korea Political Science Review.
- Library of National Assembly, A Glance of China's Soft Power, p7, 2010. 01.
- Jeseph S. Nye Jr.(1991) Bound to Lead: The Changing Nature of American Power.
- TaeHo, Kim, A new area of Chinese Foreign study, Nanam publisher.
- WookYeon, Lee.(2009.2). China's cultural superpower strategy: the impact on its content and focusing on Korea. Dong-A Research Vol.56.
- JongHo, Shin.(2009.3). Deployment of China's soft power diplomacy and International political implications : National strategy. Vol.15, No.1
- Guangming Daily(2008.10.19). China, Cultivating the cultural industry and strengthen of soft power.
- SoRi, Maeng(2009.12), The creative Industry as driving forces of China economic industries, China Business Focus Issue No. 09-43.
- Yonhap News(2009.7.23). Investment Limit expansion of foreign capital in the cultural industry, Korea Culture and Tourism Institute (2008).
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (2009.9). 2008 White Paper on Cultural Industries.