- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Argument on the right to be forgotten and the freedom of expression-focused on the reforming the press arbitration system
잊혀질 권리와 표현의 자유를 둘러싼 논의 - 언론중재제도의 개선과 관련하여
- Hong, Sook-Yeong (Dept. of Media and Image, Hansei University)
- 홍숙영 (한세대학교 미디어영상학부)
- Received : 2014.03.09
- Accepted : 2014.06.20
- Published : 2014.06.28
With the drastic development of technology for almost eternally saving digital information, cases for giving sufferings to a person who deserves to enjoy privacy have increased. So I study the right to be forgotten focusing on the collision between that right and freedom of expression. I also study the concept of the right to be forgotten and its legal basis for the protection of that right. That right can be protected mainly by the self-decision making right under the Article 10, and secondly the privacy right under the Article 17 of the Constitutional Law. The Press Arbitration Law can be applied to protect the right to be forgotten, but that Law needs the revision of time-limit clause for complain, protection clause for the right to ask to delete factual past article, and the clause of staleness doctrine for the consent of giving personal information.
right to be forgotten;freedom of expression;personal information;privacy;press arbitration
- Jaewan Moon, The Korean Way of Balancing Two Fundamental rights, the right to Be Forgotten and the Right to Know, Press and Law, Vol.10, No.2, pp.1-37, 2011.
- Judicial reports, Constitutional court, Vol.17, No.1, p. 691, 2005.
- Jasmine. Mcnealy, The Emerging Conflict between Newsworthiness and the Right to Be Forgotten. Northern Kentucky Law Review, 2012.
- Samuel Warren, Louis D. Brandeis, The Right to Privacy, Harvard Law Review Boston, December, 1890.
- Young Hoa Jung, The Right to be Forgotten" as the Information Privacyin Constitutional Law, Kyungpook Natl. Univ. Law Journal, Vol.39, pp.567-598, 2012.
- Simon Castellano, The right to be forgotten under European law: a constitutional debate. 16 Lex Electronica, 2012
- EU. Proposal for regulation of the european parliament and of the council on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal dana and on the free movement of such data."general Data Protection Regulation, 2012. http//europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-14-60_en.htm
- Meg Leta Ambrose, Jef. Ausloos, The Right to be Forgotten Across the Pond. Journal of Information Policy 3, Available at SSRN 2032325, 2013.
- In-Sun Ham, A Study on the legal System with regard to the protection of personal data in the European Union, Justice, Vol.133, pp.5-38, 2012.
- Chunyeol Ryu, Byunghye Lee, Jaejin Lee, Proposal for the competitive Society, Hansun foundation, 2009.
- Commission Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council, at art4(2), Rosen, Jeffrey. at 91. FN) 15
- Minyeong Lee, Myungsik Kim, Sukhan Hong, Hanju Lee, Report of the overseas System of the personal Information protection, Personal Information Protection Commission, 2012
- Mayer-Schonberg, Viktor, Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age, 2009
- Karen Majovski, Data Expiration, Let the User Decide:Proposed Legislation for Online User-Generated content, University of San Fransisco Law Review(47 USFLR 807), 2013
- Jeffrey Rosen, The right to be forgotten. Stanford Law Review Online(64 Stan. L. Rev. Online 88), 2012
- Dae-Heon Bae, Lost Social Reputation and Protection of Personal Information, Chonnam Law Review, Vol.32, No.3, pp.119-149, 2012.
- Jae-Jin Lee, Bon-Kwon Gu, Toward the Proper Resolution of the Problems Caused by Unerasable Old News Articles on the Internet, Korean Journal of Broadcasting and tele Communication studies, Vol.22, No.3, pp.172-212, 2008.
- Bon-Kwon Gu, Circulation of Old news and damage cases, Press Arbitration, Vol.31, No.2, pp.7-19, 2011
- Moon-Jeong Kim, Digital personal Information and 'the right to be forgotten', Journal of philosophy, Vol.72, No.3, pp.321-339, 2013.
- Laurent Checola, "Droit a loubli" sur Internet:une charte signee sans Google ni Facebook, http://www.lemonde. fr/technologies/article/2010/10/13/droit-a-l-oubli-sur-Internet-une-charte-signee-sans-google-ni-facebook_1425667_651865.html, 2010.
- Suzanne Daley"On Its Own, Europe Backs Web Privacy Fights." New York Times, Aug. 9, 2011. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/World/europe/10spain.html.
- Seongwoo Ji, Study on the right to be forgotten on the views of the theory of the basic human rights, Press arbitration, Vol.31, No.2, pp.32-47, 2011.
- Steven C.,Benntt, Right to Be Forgotten:Reconciling EU and US Perspectives, Berkely Journal of International Law, 2012
- Ambrose, Meg Leta, It's About Time:Privacy, Information Life Cycles, and the right to be Forgotten, Stanford Technology Law Review, winter, 2013
- Kiyoshi Murata, Yohko Orito, The right to forget/be forgotten, Ethics in Interdisciplinary and Intercultural Relations, 192, CEPE2011
- Taeeon Koo, Various Issues of Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA), Law Review, Vol.3, pp.89-90. 2012
- Eun-Jung Jun Heung-Youl Youm, Comparative Study on 'the right to be forgotten' - EU Law focusing on the comparison, Korea-Germany Social science Review, Vol.22, No.3, pp.239-268, 2012.
- Sung Gi Hwang, Harmonization between Personal Information Protection and the other Constitutional Values, Journal of Law & Economic Regulation, Vol.5, No.2, pp.20-36, 2012.
- Un-Byeo Go, Gwang-Hee Choi, Jae-Il Lee, Differences of the right to be forgotten between Eu and Korea, Journal of Information science, Vo.30, No.10, pp.34-41, 2012.
- Kyeonjin Choi, Junhyun Jung, Taeun Gu, Sungwoo Ji, Doseung Kim, Junho Sung, Study on the measures for enforcement of personal Information under the big data, Personal Information Protection Commission, 2012
- Onlinenews team, Google, price war of cloud begins, a sharp cut in drive using price, http://ebuzz.etnews.com/news/news1/2930721_5007.html, 2012
- Mekong-Sin Hong, An attempt to welding of Information:International tendency of the right to be forgotten, Press Arbitration, Summer, pp.20-31, 2011.
- Right to delete and Right to be forgotten -Discuss on the condition of the right to delete vol.12, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.13