- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Relationships among professional identity, role conflict and job satisfaction of nurses in emergency department(ED)
응급실 간호사의 전문직 정체성, 역할갈등 및 직무만족도의 관계
Choi, Sung-In;Sung, Mi-Hae
- Received : 2014.02.05
- Accepted : 2014.06.12
- Published : 2014.06.30
The purpose of this study was to determine the relationships among professional identity, role conflict and job satisfaction of nurses in and emergency department and to verify the factors that influence the job satisfaction. The subjects were 120 nurses in the emergency department of 2 tertiary hospitals and 5 secondary hospitals located in B city from July 1, 2013 to July 31, 2013. The professional identity and role conflict, and the professional identity and job satisfaction showed positive correlations. The factors influencing the job satisfaction were found to be the professional identity and 'hoping to work at an emergency department in the future'. The full explanatory power of the model was 13.0%. Therefore, participating in a symposium and specialty enhancing training will be needed to enhance the specialty of emergency department nurses.
Emergency Department;Job Satisfaction;Professional Identity;Role Conflict
- M. J. Kim, "Organizational culture, professional identity and organizational performance in operating room", Department of nursing Hanyang University Unpublished master's thesis, 2013.
- MOHW, "Division of Healthcare Resources Policy", License information system of MOHW, 2012.
- K. A. Ericsson, N. Charness, R. R. Hoffman, P. J. Feltovich, "The cambridge handbook of expertise and expert performance", Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- K. N. Kang, "Factors influencing turnover intention of nurses in small-medium sized hospitals", Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 18, pp. Vol. 12, pp. 625-629, 2012.
- Y. J. Moon, "Latent means analysis of mentor of role stress, professional identity and job performance for public social workers", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, Vol. 35, pp. 93-115, 2007.
- H. J. Lee, "Study on role conflict and job satisfaction of neurosurgery nurse specialist", Department of nursing Gyeongsang National University Unpublished master's thesis, 2005.
- B. J. Kim et. al., "A study of job analysis of the emergency room nurse", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 81-95, 2006.
- E. A. Herda, "Research conversations and narrative, a critical hermeneutic orientation in participatory inquiry", Praeger(Westport), pp. 1-5, 1999.
- K. D. Park, "Organizational behavior", Seoul: Parkyoungsa, 2006.
- J. Almost, "Conflict within nursing work environments: concept analysis", Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 12, pp. 625-629, 2005.
- K. M. Lee, M. S. Hong, "A study on relationships of work stress, fatigue, and job satisfaction in emergency room nurses", Chonnam Journal of Nursing Science, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 87-103, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7924.2010.00162.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7924.2010.00162.x
- J. S. Kim, K. L. Yu, "A moderating effect of professional identity for the professional school counselors in the relationship between role conflict and burnout", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy", Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 53-69, 2010.
- J. W. Park, "Study on the professional identity of social worker", Seoul National University Unpublished doctoral dissertation, 1994.
- J. H. Kim, H. Y. An, M. R. Yeom, M. Y. Lee, "A study of emergency room nurses' burn-out, nursing performance, and professional identity", Korean Journal Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 50-59, 2010.
- M. S. Kim, S. Y. Park, "Development of a role conflict scale for clinical nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 741-750, 1995.
- Y. K. Shin, "Management for human respect", Seoul: Dasan, 2007.
- D. B. Slavitt, P. L. Stamps, E. B. Piedmont, A. M. Haase, "Nurese Satisfaction with their work situation", Nursing Research, Vol. 27, No. 2, Mar-Apr, pp. 114-120, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-197803000-00018 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-197803000-00018
- M. H. Sung, "Relationship of the experience of violence to burnout and job satisfaction in emergency department nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 83-92, 2008.
- C. Billie, K. Louise, "Impact of job satisfaction components on intent to leave and turnover for hospital-based nurse: A review of the research literature", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 44, pp. 297-314, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2006.02.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2006.02.004
- K. H. Nam, J. H. Park, "A study on the relationship of empowerment with job satisfaction and organizational commitment perceived by nurses", Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 137-150, 2002.
- M. J. Kim, S. S. Han, "Comparison of job satisfaction, commitment to organization, nursing organization culture and job experience between national/public hospital nurses and private hospital nurses", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 22-30, 2007.
- B. N. Kim, H. S. Oh, Y. S. Park, "A study of nurses' resilience, occupational stress and satisfaction", Korean Journal Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 14-23, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.1.014 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.1.014
- M. S. Koh, "A study on the influence of empowerment on job satisfaction and organizational commitment of clinical nurses", Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 315-327, 2003.
- M. J. Cha, S. B. Je, "Mediating effect of professional identity on the relationship between job- and organization-related factors and job satisfaction among social workers in senior welfare facilities", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 669-682, 2009.
- T. J. Chon, J. S. Kim, O. Y. Cho, The mediating effect analysis of job satisfaction between professional identity and turnover intention of sport for all leaders", Journal of Leisure and Recreation Studies, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 93-104, 2008.
- B. Piko, "Burnout, role conflict, job satisfaction and psychosocial health among Hungarian health care staff: a questionnaire survey. International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 311-31, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.05.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.05.003
- L. Wu, I. J. Norman, "An investigation of job satisfaction, organizational commitment and role conflict and ambiguity in a sample of Chinese undergraduate nursing students", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 26, pp. 304-314, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.10.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.10.011
- M. H. Sung, M. O. Oh, "The relationships of professional self-concept, role conflict and job satisfaction on emergency department nurses", Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 107-115, 2011.
- The factors affecting on Turnover Intention of Nurses Working in Rehabilitation Hospitals vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.4077