- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The relationship of short-term mindfulness and self-compassion meditation and the emotional well-being among middle aged female students in cyber university; pilot study
사이버대학에 재학중인 중년기 여자 대학생을 대상으로 한 단축형 마음챙김 자비 명상 프로그램과 정서적 안녕감의 관련성 : 예비연구
- Lee, Woo-kyeong (Department of Counseling Psychology, Seoul Cyber University) ;
- Ju, Se-Jin (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University)
- Received : 2014.02.25
- Accepted : 2014.06.12
- Published : 2014.06.30
A structured group program was implemented to facilitate mindfulness and self-compassion through a short meditation practices and its effects on the emotional well-being of counseling psychology students at a cyber university were observed. The participants attended a 4-week group program. Twenty-five total participants completed pre- and post-treatment measures of depression, psychological well-being, positive and negative emotions, mindfulness, and self-compassion. This program could provide a useful experiential introduction to mindfulness and self-compassion training for counseling undergraduate psychology students. Future studies should address the effects of practice on the mindfulness and self-compassion in larger student groups exposed to a range of stressful situations.
- Schneiderman, N, Ironson, G., & Siegel, S. "Stress and health: Psychological, behavioral, and biological determinants". Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 1, 607-628, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.clinpsy.1.102803.144141 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.clinpsy.1.102803.144141
- Korean Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology. Higher education statistics, 2012.
- Seoul Cyber University. Annual statistics, 2012.
- Ji, S.E., Kim, J.W, Hwang, E.W, & Cho, H.S. "The study on the clinical aspects of Hwabyung Patients". Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, 8(2), 63-84, 1997.
- Lee, W. K, & Bang, H. J. "Effects of mindfulness-based group intervention on the mental health of middle-aged Korean women in community".Stress and Health, 26,341-348, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.1303
- Shapiro, S.L., Schwartz, G.E., & Bonner, G. "Effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction on medical and premedical students". Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 21 (6), 581-599, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1018700829825 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018700829825
- Kabat-Zinn, J. "Mindfulness-based interventions in context: Past, present, and future. Clinical Psychology" : Science & Practice, 10(2), 144-156, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/clipsy.bpg016 https://doi.org/10.1093/clipsy.bpg016
- Kabat-Zinn J. "Coming to our sense". New York : Hyperion, 2005.
- Segal, Z.V., Williams, J.G., & Teasdale, J.D. Mindfulness-based cognitive Therapy for depression. NewYork, London :The Guilford Press, 2002.
- Teasdale, J.D. "Metacognition, mindfulness and the modification of mood disorders". Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, 6,146-155, 1999a DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0879(199905) https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0879(199905)6:2<146::AID-CPP195>3.0.CO;2-E
- Teasdale, J.D. "Emotional processing, three modes of mind and the prevention of relapse in depression". Behavior Research Therapy, 37, 53-77, 1999b. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7967(99)00050-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7967(99)00050-9
- Shapiro, S.L, Astin, J.A. Bishop, S.R, & Cordova, M. "Mindfulness-based stress reduction for health care professionals: results from a randomized trial". International Journal of Stress Management,12(2), 164-176, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1072-5245.12.2.164 https://doi.org/10.1037/1072-5245.12.2.164
- Schure, M. B., Christopher, J., & Christopher, S. "Mind-body medicine and the art of self-care: Teaching mindfulness to counseling students through yoga, meditation, and qigong". Journal of Counseling and Development, 86, 47--56, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6678.2008.tb00625.x https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6678.2008.tb00625.x
- Neff, K.D. "The development and validation of a scale to measure self-compassion". Self and Identity, 2, 223-250, 2003a. DOI:10.1080/15298860309027 https://doi.org/10.1080/15298860309027
- Neff, K.D. "Self-compassion: An alternative conceptualization of a healthy attitude toward oneself". Self and Identity, 2, 85-102, 2003b. DOI:10.1080/15298860309032 https://doi.org/10.1080/15298860309032
- Allen, N.B., Knight, & W.E.J. Mindfulness, compassion for self, and compassion for others. Implications for understanding the psychopathology and treatment of depression. In P. Gilbert(Ed), Compassion: Conceptualization, research and use in psychotherapy (pp.239-262). London: Routledge, 2005.
- Gilbert, P. & Procter, S. "Compassionate mind training for people with high shame and self-criticism: Overview and pilot study of a group therapy approach". Clinical Psychology and Psycho therapy, 13, 353-379, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cpp.507 https://doi.org/10.1002/cpp.507
- Neff, K. D, Hseih, Y, & Dejitthirat, K. "Self-compassion, achievement goals, and coping with academic failure". Self and Identity, 4,263-287, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13576500444000317 https://doi.org/10.1080/13576500444000317
- Sbarra,D.A, Smith, H. L, & Mehl, M. R. "When leaving your Ex, love yourself: Observational ratings of self-compassion predict the course of emotional recovery following marital separation". Psychological Science, 23(3), 261-269, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0956797611429466 https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797611429466
- Vettese, L. C, Dyer, C. E, Li, W. L, & Wekerle, C. "Does self-compassion mitigate the association between childhood maltreatment and later emotional regulation difficulties?" International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 9, 480-491, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11469-011-9340-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-011-9340-7
- Neff, K. D, & Beretvas, S.N. "The role of self-compassion in romantic relationships". Self and Identity,12,78-98, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15298868.2011.639548 https://doi.org/10.1080/15298868.2011.639548
- Yarnell, L. M, & Neff, K. D. "Self-compassion, interpersonal conflict resolutions, and well-being". Self and Identity,12,146-159,2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15298868.2011.649545 https://doi.org/10.1080/15298868.2011.649545
- Neff, K. D, & Pommier, E. "The relationship between self-compassion and other-focused concern among college undergraduates, community adults, and practicing meditators". Self and Identity, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15298868.2011.649546. https://doi.org/10.1080/15298868.2011.649546.
- Lee, W. K., Cho, S. M., & Hwang, T. Y. Korean version of Mindfulness-based cognitive Therapy for depression .Seoul: Hakjisa, 2006.
- Park, S.H. "Development of the mindfulness scale". Doctoral dissertation. Kora: Catholic University, 2006.
- Kim, K.E, Yi, G.D, Cho, Y.R., Chai, S.H, & Lee, W.K. The validation study of the Korean version of the Self-Compassion Scale". Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 13, 1023-104, 2008. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2008.13.4.012
- Watson, D., Clark, L.A, & Tellegen, A. "Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: The PANAS scales". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54, 1063-1070. 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- Cho, Y. R. "Assessing emotion dysregulation : Psychometric properties of the Korean version of the Difficulties in Emotion Regulation Scale". Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 26(4),1015-1038, 2007. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2007.26.4.012
- Beck, A.T, Steer, R.A, & Brown, G.K.(1996). Manual for Beck Depression Inventory II (BDI-II). San Antonio, TX: Psychology Corporation. 1996.
- Lee, Y.H., & Song, J.Y. "A study of the reliability and the validity of the BDI , SDS , and MMPI-D Scales". Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 10, 98-113, 1991.
- Ryff, C .D., & Keyes, C.L.M. "The structure of psychological well-being revisited". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology,73, 549-559, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.119
- Kim, M.S, Kim, H.W, & Cha, K.H. "Analyses on the construct of psychological well-being of Korean male and female adults". Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 15(2), 19-39, 2001.
- Williams, K., Kolar, M.M, Reger, B.E, & Pearson, J.C. "Evaluation of a wellness-based mindfulness stress reduction intervention: A controlled trial". American Journal of Health Promotion,15, 422-432, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-15.6.422 https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-15.6.422
- Chiesa, A, & Serretti, "A. Mindfulness-based stress reduction for stress management in healthy people: A review and meta-analysis". The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine,15(5),593-600, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2008.0495
- Hofmann, S. G, Sawyer, A. T, Witt, A. A, & Oh, D. "The effect of mindfulness-based therapy on anxiety and depression: A meta-analytic review". Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology,78(2),169-183, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0018555 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018555
- Birnie, K., Speca, M., & Carlson, L. E. "Exploring Self-compassion and Empathy in the Context of Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR)". Stress and Health, 26, 359-371, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smi.1305 https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.1305
- Rimes, K. A. & Wingrove, J. Pilot study of "Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for trainee clinical psychologists". Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 39(2), 235-241, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1352465810000731
- Shapiro, S. L, Brown, K.W, & Biegel,G.M. "Teaching self-care to caregivers: Effects of mindfulness based stress reduction on the mental health of therapists in training". Training and Education in Professional Psychology,1,105-115, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1931-3918.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/1931-3922.214.171.124
- K. W. Brown and R. M. Ryan, "The benefits of being present: mindfulness and its role in psychological well-being", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 84, no. 4,pp. 822-848, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1992 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.522