- Volume 56 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Hanwoo cattle: origin, domestication, breeding strategies and genomic selection
- Lee, Seung-Hwan (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Byoung-Ho (Animal Genetic and Breeding Division, National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Sharma, Aditi (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Dang, Chang-Gwon (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Seung-Soo (Animal Genetic and Breeding Division, National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Choi, Tae-Jeong (Animal Genetic and Breeding Division, National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Choy, Yeon-Ho (Animal Genetic and Breeding Division, National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Kim, Hyeong-Cheol (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Jeon, Ki-Jun (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Si-Dong (Animal Genetic and Breeding Division, National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Yeon, Seong-Heum (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Soo-Bong (Animal Genetic and Breeding Division, National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Kang, Hee-Seol (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- Received : 2014.04.07
- Accepted : 2014.04.07
- Published : 2014.05.15
Hanwoo (Korean cattle) is the native, taurine type of cattle breed of Korea and its history as a draft animal dates back to 5000 Years. In earlier times Hanwoo was used extensively for farming, transportation. Over the period of time, Hanwoo has changed to be meat type cattle. Full-scale production of Hanwoo as meat-type cattle has occurred since 1960s with the rapid growth of the Korean economy. Hanwoo is one of the most economically important species in Korea as it is a significant source of nutrition to the Korean people. Hanwoo beef is the most cherished food of Korea. One of the main goals of researchers is to increase the meat quality, quantity and taste of the beef. In this review we describe the origin, domestication of Hanwoo cattle and breeding program initiated from 1980's. Moreover the advent of technological advancement had provided us a platform to perform genome wide selection on economic traits and its implementation into traditional breeding programs.
Hanwoo (Korean cattle);Origin;Domestication and breeding program
Supported by : National Institute of Animal Science
- Korea Meat Trade Association (KMTA): Information and Data of Agricultural Statistics Of Korea. 2011. Accessed on January 12, 2011. http://kmta.or.kr/html/sub6-1.html?scode=6.
- Jo C, Cho SH, Chang J, Nam KC: Keys to production and processing of Hanwoo beef: a perspective of tradition and science. Anim Front 2012, 2(4):32-38.
- Cho SH, Kim J, Park BY, Seong PN, Kang GH, Kim JH, Jung SG, Im SK, Kim DH: Assessment of meat quality properties and development of a palatability prediction model for Korean Hanwoo steer beef. Meat Sci 2010, 86:236-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.011
- Han SW: The Breed of Cattles: Sun-Jin publishing; 1996:148-160.
- Lee C, Pollak EJ: Genetic antagonism between body weight and milk production in beef cattle. J Anim Sci 2002, 80:316-321.
- Yoon DH, Park EW, Lee SH, Lee HK, Oh SJ, Cheong IC, Hong KC: Assessment of genetic diversity and relationships between Korean cattle and other cattle breeds by microsatellite loci. J Anim Sci Technol (Kor) 2005, 47(3):341-354. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.3.341
- Mannen H, Kohno M, Nagata Y, Tsuji S, Bradley DG, Yeo JS, Nyamsamba D, Zagdsuren Y, Yokohama M, Nomura K, Amano T: Independent mitochondrial origin and historical genetic differentiation in North Eastern Asian cattle. Mol Phylogenet Evol 2004, 32:539-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2004.01.010
- McTavish EJ, Decker JE, Schnabel RD, Taylor JF, Hillis DM: New World Cattle Show Ancestry From Multiple Independent Domestication Events. 2013. PNAS Early Edition.
- Lee SH, Cho YM, Lim D, Kim HC, Choi BH, Park HS, Kim OH, Kim S, Kim TH, Yoon D, Hong SK: Linkage disequilibrium and effective population size in Hanwoo Korean Cattle. Asian Australas J Anim Sci 2011, 24(12):1660-1665. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11165
- Lee SH, Julius VW, Lee SH, Lim DJ, Park EW, Gondro C, Yoon D, Oh SJ, Kim OH, Gibson J, Thompson J: Genome wide QTL mapping to identify candidate genes for carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean Cattle). Genes Genom 2012, 34(1):43-49. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13258-011-0081-6
- Ministry of Agriculture and Fishery (MAF): Code of Practice For Development Programs In Agriculture And Forestry. 1999:40.
- Park B, Choi T, Kim S, Oh S-H: National genetic evaluation (system) of Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle). Asian-Aust J Anim Sci 2013, 26(2):151-156. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12439
- Koch RM, Cundiff LV, Gregory EK: Heritabilitied and genetic, environmental and phenotypic correlations of carcass traits in a population of diverse biological types and their implications in selection programs. J AnimSci 1982, 55:1319-1324.
- Baik DH, Hoque1 MA, Choe HS: Estimation of genetic and environmental parameters of carcass traits in hanwoo (korean native cattle) populations. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci 2002, 15(11):1523-1526. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1523
- Cundiff LV, Gregory EK, Koch RM, Dickerson GE: Genetic relationships among growth and carcass traits of beef cattle. J Anim Sci 1971, 33:550-555. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1971.333550x
- Yi L: Genome-Wide Association Study to Identify Qtl For Growth And Carcass Quality Traits In Korean Native Cattle, Hanwoo. 2012.
- Goddard ME, Hayes BJ: Mapping genes for complex traits in domestic animals and their use in breeding programmes. Nat Rev Genet 2009, 10:381-391. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg2575
- Meuwissen T, Hayes B, Goddard M: Prediction of total genetic value using genome-wide dense marker maps. Genetics 2001, 157:1819-1829.
- Lee SH, van der Werf JHJ, Hayes BJ, Goddard ME, Visscher PM: Predicting unobserved phenotypes for complex traits from whole-genome SNP data. PLoS Genet. 2008, 4:e1000231. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1000231