- Volume 56 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Meta-analysis of factors affecting milk component yields in dairy cattle
- Lee, Junsung (Department of Animal Biosystem Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Seo, Jakyeom (Department of Animal Biosystem Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Se Young (Department of Animal Husbandry, Cheonan Yonam College) ;
- Ki, Kwang Seok (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Seo, Seongwon (Department of Animal Biosystem Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Science, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2014.04.25
- Accepted : 2014.05.08
- Published : 2014.06.05
The objectives of this study were thus to identify most significant factors that determine milk component yield (MCY) using a meta-analysis and, if possible, to develop equations to predict MCY using variables that can be easily measured in the field. A literature database was constructed based on the research articles published in the Journal of Dairy Science from Oct., 2007 till May, 2010. The database consisted of a total of 442 observed means for MCY from 118 studies. The candidate factors that determine MCY were those which can be routinely measured in the field (e.g. DMI, BW, dietary forage content, chemical composition of diets). Using a simple linear regression, the best equations for predicting milk fat yield(MFY) and milk protein yield (MPY) were
Meta analysis;Milk fat;Milk protein;Dry matter intake;Dairy cattle
Supported by : Chungnam National University
- Jenkins TC, McGuire MA: Major advances in nutrition: Impact on milk composition. J Dairy Sci 2006, 89:1302-1310. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72198-1
- Sutton JD: Altering milk-composition by feeding. J Dairy Sci 1989, 72:2801-2814. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(89)79426-1
- Grummer RR: Effect of feed on the composition of milk-fat. J Dairy Sci 1991, 74:3244-3257. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78510-X
- DePeters EJ, Cant JP: Nutritional factors influencing the nitrogen composition of bovine milk: A review. J Dairy Sci 1992, 75:2043-2070. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77964-8
- Palmquist DL, Beaulieu AD, Barbano DM: Feed and animal factors influencing milk-fat composition. J Dairy Sci 1993, 76:1753-1771. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77508-6
- Hristov AN, Price WJ, Shafii B: A meta-analysis examining the relationship among dietary factors, dry matter intake, and milk and milk protein yield in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2004, 87:2184-2196. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)70039-9
- Hristov AN, Price WJ, Shafii B: A meta-analysis on the relationship between intake of nutrients and body weight with milk volume and milk protein yield in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2005, 88:2860-2869. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72967-2
- Huhtanen P, Hristov AN: A meta-analysis of the effects of dietary protein concentration and degradability on milk protein yield and milk N efficiency in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2009, 92:3222-3232. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1352
- Smoler E, Rook AJ, Sutton JD, Beever DE: Prediction of milk protein concentration from elements of the metabolizable protein system. J Dairy Sci 1998, 81:1619-1623. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75728-5
- Hristov AN, Hristova KA, Price WJ: Relationship between dry matter intake, body weight, and milk yield in dairy cows: A summary of published data. J Dairy Sci 2000, 83(Suppl.1):260.
- NRC: Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th edition. Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press; 2001.
- SAS, Institute Inc: User's guide: Statistics, Version 9th ed. Cary, NC: SAS Institute, Inc.; 2002.
- Thomas PC, Martin PA: The influence of nutrient balance on milk yield and composition. In Nutrition and Lactation in the Dairy Cow. Edited by. London, England: Butterworths; 1988.
- Smith NE, Dunkley WL, Franke AA: Effects of feeding protected tallow to dairy cows in early lactation. J Dairy Sci 1978, 61:747-756. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(78)83643-1
- Sporndly E: Effects of diet on milk composition and yield of dairy cows with specical emphasis on milk protein content. Swed J Agric Res 1989, 19:99-106.
- Emery RS: Feeding for increased milk protein. J Dairy Sci 1978, 61:825-828. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(78)83656-X
- Macleod GK, Wood AS: Influence of amount and degree of saturation of dietary fat on yield and quality of milk. J Dairy Sci 1972, 55:439-445. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(72)85513-9
- Van der Honing Y, Weiman BJ, Steg A, Van Donselaar B: The effect of fat supplementation of concentrates on digestion and utilization of energy by productive dairy cows. Neth J Agric Sci 1981, 29:79-85.
- Rook AJ, Sutton JD, France J: Prediction of the yields of milk constituents in dairy-cows offered silage ad-libitum and concentrates at a flat rate. Anim Prod 1992, 54:313-322. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100020766
- Hristov AN, Price WJ, Shafii B: An Overview of Dietary Factors Influencing Dry Matter Intake and Milk and Milk Protein Yields In Dairy Cows, Proceedings of Pacific Northwest Animal Nutrition Conference. 2002:147-165.