- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Learning Orientation on Self-Efficacy and Innovation Behaviors
학습지향성이 자기효능감과 혁신행동에 미치는 영향
- Hwang, Sang-Kyu (Dept. of Business Administration, International University of Korea)
- 황상규 (한국국제대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2014.04.16
- Accepted : 2014.06.19
- Published : 2014.06.30
This paper examines how learning orientation and self-efficacy contributed to explaining innovation behaviors. In order to verify the relationships and mediating effect, data were collected from 368 individuals in employees working in small and medium-sized firms at Gyeongnam region to test theoretical model and its hypotheses. All data collected from the survey were analyzed using with SPSS 18.0. This study reports findings as follows: first, the relationship between the learning orientation and the employee's self-efficacy is positively related. Second, there was also a positive correlation between the employee's self-efficacy and the innovation behaviors. Third, the relationship between the learning orientation and the innovation behaviors is positively related. Finally, the employee's self-efficacy played as a partial mediator on the relationship between learning orientation and innovation behaviors. Based on these findings, the implications and the limitations of the study were presented including some directions for future studies.
- Ahn, K. Y.(2010), "The relationship between learning orientation and incremental innovation, and the moderating effect of tenure," Journal of Korea Safety Management & Science, 12(3):249- 255.
- Amabile, T., R. Conti, H. Coon, J. Lazenby, and M. Herron(1996), "Assessing the work for environment for creativity," Academy of Management Journal, 39(5):1154-1164. https://doi.org/10.2307/256995
- Ames, C.(1992), "Classrooms: Goals, structures, and student motivation," Journal of Educational Psychology, 84(3):261-271. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.1681
- Baker, W. E. and J. M. Sinkula(1999), "The synergistic effect of market orientation and learning orientation on organizational performance," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 27(4):411-427. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070399274002
- Bandura, A.(1986), "Social foundations of thought and action: A social cognitive theory," Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA : Prentice-Hall.
- Baron, R. M. and D. A. Kenny(1986), "The mode rator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6):1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- Calantone, R. J., S. T. Cavusgil, and Y. Zhao(2002), "Learning orientation, firm innovation, and firm performance," Industrial Marketing Management, 31(6):515-524. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(01)00203-6
- Choi, J. and H. J. Park(2009), "Professional self-concept and job satisfaction of clinical nurse in schoolwork," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 15(1), 37-44. (in Korean).
- Choi, S. B.(2011), "An empirical study on the relationships among organizational culture, Learning orientation and innovation of employees: The moderating role of perceived organizational support," Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 24(6):3631-3653.
- Choi, S. B., K. W. Kim, and G. Y. Moon(2010), "The effect of transformational leadership on the innovation behavior -Mediating effects of lear ning orientation and organizational commitment -," Journal of Human Resource Management Research, 17(4):225-243.
- Chung, K. Y., G. H. Guak, and S. S. Yoo(2007), "Impacts of service quality on the Casino market segments based on perceived self efficacy," Korea Academic Society of Hotel Administration, 16(1):1-18.
- Hair, J. E., R. E. Anderson, R. L. Tatham, and W. C. Black(2006), "Multivariate data analysis," Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
- Hong, H. K., K. Y. Chung, and W. H. Kim (2012), "Effects of self-efficacy on job embeddedness, innovation behaviors, and organizational citizenship behavior -The moderating effect worked mainly in the form-," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 12(5):415-430. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.05.415
- Hult, G. T. M., Hurley, R. F. and Knight, G. A. (2004) "Innovativeness: Its antecedents and impact on business performance," Industrial Marketing Management, 33, 429-438. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2003.08.015
- Jones, G. R.(1986), "Socialization tactics, selfefficacy, and newcomers' adjustments to organizations," Academy of Management Journal, 29(2):262-279. https://doi.org/10.2307/256188
- Kang, K. W. and G. J. Song(2010), "The effect of learning organization construction and learning orientation on organizational effectiv eness among hospital nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(3):267-275. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.267
- Kim, D. J., Y. M. Kim, S. B. Whang, and Y. W. Kim(2012), "The impacts of perceived organizational justice on the innovative behaviors of organizational members: Focusing on the mediating effects of knowledge sharing," Korean Corporation Management Review, 19(2):237-258.
- Kim, K. H.(2008), "The effect of individual and organizational learning orientation fit on organizational performance under technical turbulence," Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development, 40(4):251- 269. https://doi.org/10.23840/agehrd.2008.40.4.251
- Kim, M. O. and Y. J. Byun(2009), "The effects of computer self-efficacy on career planning and innovative behavior of office professionals," Journal of Secretarial Sciences, 18(1):65-81.
- Ko, D. Y. and T. Y. Yoo(2012), "The effect of job autonomy on innovation behavior: The mediating effect of job satisfaction and moderating effects of personality and climate for innovation," The Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 25(1):215-238. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.25.1.201202.215
- Lee, H. S.(2007), "Prediction of organizational goal structure and leadership style on employee 's achievement goal orientation, self- efficacy, collective efficacy, and intention for innovative behavior," M.A. thesis paper of Ewha Womans University
- Lee, K. P. and H. K. Park(2010), "A exploratory study on causal relations with hotel's environmental uncertainty, learning orientation and organization performance," Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 20(3): 305-328.
- Moon, G. W., S. B. Choi, and J. S. Moon(2009), "Effects of leadership style and features of organizational culture on innovative behavior," Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 22(6):3289-3320.
- Morrison, E. W. and C. Phelps(1999), "Taking charge: Extra-role efforts to initiate workplace change," Academy of Management Journal, 42(4):403-419. https://doi.org/10.2307/257011
- Park, Y. B. and H. K. Park(2003), "A study on the effect of the learning orientation on organizational performance and the moderating effect of contingent variables," Journal of Organization and Management, 27(2):83-109.
- Parker, L. E. and R. H. Price(1994), "Empowered managers and empowered workers: The effects of managerial support and managerial perceived control on workers' sense of control over decision making," Human Relations, 47(8):911-927. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679404700803
- Parker, S. K., H. M. Williams, and N. Turner(2006), "Modeling the antecedents of proactive behavior at work," Journal of Applied Psychology, 91(3):636-652. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.3.636
- Phillips, J. M. & S. M. Gully(1997), "Role of goal orientation, ability, need for achievement, and locus of control in the self-efficacy and goal-setting process," Journal of Applied Psychology, 82(5):792-802. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.82.5.792
- Scott, S. G. and R. A. Bruce(1994), "Determinants of innovation behavior; A path model of individual innovation in the workplace," Academy of Management Journal, 37(3):580-607. https://doi.org/10.2307/256701
- Shim, D. S and S. W. Ha(2013), "A study on the relationship between job characteristics and innovative behavior: The mediating effect of self-efficacy," The Journal of Industrial Innovation, 29(3):95-124.
- Shin, T. H. and S. H. Kim(2010), "An exploratory study on the interaction of learning orientation and environmental turbulence," Journal of The Korean Society for Railway, 13(3):317-326.
- Sinkula, J. M., W. E. Baker, and T. Noordewier (1997), "Framework for market-based organizational learning: Linking values, knowledge and behavior," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 25(4):305-318. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070397254003
- Spreitzer, G. M.(1995), "Psychological empowerment in the workplace: dimensions, measurement, and validation," Academy of management Journal, 38(5):1442-1465. https://doi.org/10.2307/256865
- Suh, I. D. and S. H. Lee(2009), "A study on the effects of strategic human resource management of universities on organizational performances:Focused on the mediating effect of learning orientation," Journal of Human Resource Management Research, 16(2):69-90.
- Sujan, H., B. A. Weitz, and N. Kumar(1994), "Learning orientation," working smart, and effective selling, Journal of Marketing, 58(3):39- 52. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252309
- West, M. A.(1989), "Innovation among health care professionals," Social Behaviour, 4(3): 173- 84.
- Yoo, S. J., Y. T. Kim, and T. S. Yang(2006), "A Study on the Leadership Influencing the Job Attitudes, Employee's Empowerment, and Service Quality," Journal of Korea Service Management Society, 7(4):3-27.