- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characteristics and in vitro Anti-diabetic Properties of the Korean Rice Wine, Makgeolli Fermented with Laminaria japonica
- Choi, Jae-Suk (RIS Center, Silla University) ;
- Seo, Hyo Ju (RIS Center, Silla University) ;
- Lee, Yu-Ri (Department of Bio-Food Materials, Silla University) ;
- Kwon, Su-Jung (Department of Bio-Food Materials, Silla University) ;
- Moon, Sun Hwa (RIS Center, Silla University) ;
- Park, Sun-Mee (HACCP Training Center, Silla University) ;
- Sohn, Jae Hak (RIS Center, Silla University)
- Received : 2014.01.14
- Accepted : 2014.03.26
- Published : 2014.06.30
New in vitro anti-diabetes makgeolli was produced from rice by adding various quantities of Laminaria japonica, and the fermentation characteristics of the L. japonica makgeolli during the fermentation process were investigated. The contents of alcohol and reducing sugar, and viable count of yeast, of L. japonica makgeolli were not significantly changed when the proportion of L. japonica was increased. The total acid content decreased with an increase in L. japonica concentration; the pH and total bacterial cell count increased in proportion with the increase in L. japonica concentration. The L. japonica makgeolli contents of free sugars, such as fructose, glucose, and sucrose, and of organic acids, such as acetic acid, citric acid, succinic acid, and lactic acid, were altered during fermentation and showed various patterns. The effects of the quantity of L. japonica added on the acceptability and anti-diabetes activities of L. japonica makgeolli were also investigated. In a sensory evaluation, L. japonica makgeolli brewed by adding 2.5 or 5% L. japonica to the mash showed the best overall acceptability; the 12.5% L. japonica sample was least favored due to its seaweed flavor. L. japonica addition did not increase the peroxynitrite-scavenging activity of makgeolli. L. japonica makgeolli showed potent anti-diabetes activity, particularly that containing >7.5% L. japonica. Therefore, L. japonica makgeolli may represent a new functional makgeolli with anti-diabetes properties.
Supported by : Ministry of Knowledge and Economy
- Kennedy IR, Mwandemele OD, McWhirter KS. 1985. Estimation of sucrose, raffinose and stachyose in soybean seeds. Food Chem 17: 85-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(85)90077-9
- Romero Rodriguez MA, Vazquez Oderiz ML, Lopez Hernandez J, Simal Lozano J. 1992. Determination of vitamin C and organic acids in various fruits by HPLC. J Chromatogr Sci 30: 433-437. https://doi.org/10.1093/chromsci/30.11.433
- Lee CH, Chae SG, Lee SG. 1990. Food Industry Quality Control. Yourim Publish Co., Seoul, Korea. p 98-177.
- Lee DH, Kim JH, Kim NM, Pack JS, Lee JS. 2002. Manufacture and physiological functionality of Korean traditional liquor by using Paecilomyces japonica. Korean J Mycol 30: 142-146. https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2002.30.2.142
- Beckman JS, Chen J, Ischiropulos H, Crow JP. 1994. Oxidative chemistry of peroxynitrite. Methods Enzymol 233: 229-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(94)33026-3
- Cushman DW, Cheung HS. 1971. Spectrophotometric assay and properties of the angiotensin-converting enzyme of rabbit lung. Biochem Pharmacol 20:1637-1648. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(71)90292-9
- Hamaguchi T, Sudo T, Osada H. 1995. RK-682, a potent inhibitor of tyrosine phosphatase, arrested the mammalian cell cycle progression at G1phase. FEBS Lett 372: 54-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(95)00953-7
- Oh H, Kim BS, Bae EY, Kim MS, Kim BY, Lee HB, Kim CJ, Ahn JS. 2004. Inhibition of PTP1B by metabolites from Micromucor ramannianus var. angulisporus CRM000232. J Antibiot 57: 528-531. https://doi.org/10.7164/antibiotics.57.528
- Korea Food and Drug Administration. 2009. Korean Food Standards Codex. Korea Food Industry Association, Seoul. Korea.
- Lee CY, Kim TW, Song CK. 1996. Studies on the souring of Hansan sogokju (Korean traditional rice wine). Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 117-121.
- Choi SH, Bock JY, Nam SH, Bad JS, Choi WY. 1998. Effect of tannic substances from acorn (Quercus acutissima Carruthers) on the storage quality of rice wine. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 1420-1425.
- Cho JY, Kang JY, Khan MNA, Park NH, Kim SK, Hong YK. 2007. Anti-inflammatory activities of Undaria pinnatifida and Laminaria japonica (Phaeophyta). J Fish Sci Technol 10: 127-132. https://doi.org/10.5657/fas.2007.10.3.127
- Wang J, Zhang Q, Zhang Z, Li Z. 2008. Antioxidant activity of sulfated polysaccharide fractions extracted from Laminaria japonica. Int J Biol Macromol 42: 127-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2007.10.003
- Han JA, Kang SA, Choue RW, Kim HK, Leem K, Chung S, Kim CJ, Chung J. 2002. Free radical scavenging effect of Diospyros kaki, Laminaria japonica and Undaria pinnatifida. Fitoterapia 73: 710-712. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0367-326X(02)00236-8
- Park MJ, Ryu HK, Han JS. 2007. Effects of Laminaria japonica extract supplement on blood glucose, serum lipids and antioxidant systems in type II diabetic patients. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nur 36: 1391-1398. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.11.1391
- Go H, Hwang HJ, Nam TJ. 2010. A glycoprotein from Laminaria japonica induces apoptosis in HT-29 colon cancer cells. Toxicol In Vitro 24: 1546-1553. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2010.06.018
- Huang L, Wen K, Gao X, Liu Y. 2010. Hypolipidemic effect of fucoidan from Laminaria japonica in hyperlipidemic rats. Pharm Biol 48: 422-426. https://doi.org/10.3109/13880200903150435
- Ren DD, Wang QK, Wu C, Chen Q, Hu JE. 2012. Study on extraction process of ACE inhibitor from kelp. Sci Technol Food Ind 2012-02.
- Miller GL. 1959. Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Anal Chem 31: 420-428.
- Kim EK, Chang YH, Ko JY, Jeong YH. 2013. Physicochemical and microbial properties of Korean traditional rice wine, Makgeolli, supplemented with banana during fermentation. Prev Nutr Food Sci 18: 203-209. https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2013.18.3.203
- Choi JS, Shin SH, Ha YM, Kim YC, Kim TB, Park SM, Choi IS, Song HJ, Choi YJ. 2008. Mineral contents and physiological activities of dried sea tangle (Laminaria japonica) collected from Gijang and Wando in Korea. Korean J Life Sci 18: 474-481. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.4.474
- Choi JS, Lee BB, Joo CU, Shin SH, Ha YM, Bae HJ, Choi IS. 2009. Inhibitory effects of seaweed extracts on growth of Malassezia furfur and Malassezia restricta. J Fish Sci Technol 12: 29-34. https://doi.org/10.5657/fas.2009.12.1.029
- Wang J, Zhang Q, Zhang Z, Song H, Li P. 2010. Potential antioxidant and anticoagulant capacity of low molecular weight fucoidan fractions extracted from Laminaria japonica. Int J Biol Macromol 46: 6-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2009.10.015
- Lee HS, Hong KH, Yoon CH, Kim JM, Kim SM. 2009. Effect of Korean turbid rice wine (Takju) lees extract on blood glucose in the db/db mouse. Korean J Food Culture 24: 219-223.
- Shin MO, Kang DY, Kim MH, Bae SJ. 2008. Effect of growth inhibition and quinone reductase activity stimulation of Makgeoly fractions in various cancer cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 288-293. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.3.288
- Lee JW, Shim JY. 2010. Quality characteristics of Makgeolli during freezing storage. Food Eng Prog 14: 328-334.
- Frustration of Makgeolli. http://biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/05/08/2013050802861.html. (accessed July 10th 2013).
- Sung JH, Han MJ. 2008. Quality characteristics of Jeungpyun manufactured by ginseng makgeolli. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 837-848.
- Lee DH, Kim JH, Lee JS. 2009. Effect of pears on the quality and physiological functionality of Makgeoly. Korean J Food Nutr 22: 606-611.
- Jeon MH, Lee WJ. 2011. Characteristics of blueberry added Makgeolli. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 444-449. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.3.444
- Jung JW, Park KJ, Kim MH, Kim DS. 2006. Quality characteristics of Takju fermentation by addition of chestnut peel powder. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 329-336.
- Kim SY, Kim EK, Yoon SJ, Jo NJ, Jung SK, Kwon SH, Chang YH, Jeong YH. 2011. Physicochemical and microbial properties of Korean traditional rice wine, Makgeolli, supplemented with cucumber during fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 223-228. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.2.223
- Lee HS, Hong KH, Kim JY, Kim DH, Yoon CH, Kim SM. 2009. Blood pressure lowering effect of Korean turbid rice wine (Takju) lees extracts in spontaneously hypertensive rat (SHR). Korean J Food Culture 24: 338-343.
- Lee SK, Kim IH, Min BY. 1990. Effect of lysozyme and glycine on the Mageoly brewing process. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 33: 252-256.
- Kim JY, Kim DH, Park PJ, Kang HI, Ryu EK, Kim SM. 2011. Effects of storage temperature and time on the biogenic amine content and microflora in Korean turbid rice wine, Makgeolli. Food Chem 128: 87-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.02.081
- Wang SJ, Lee HJ, Cho JY, Jang MY, Park KH, Moon JH. 2012. Inhibition effect against the rat blood plasma oxidation of the makgeolli (takju) Korean rice wine. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 116-122. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.1.116
- Seo YS, Bae HN, Eom SH, Lim KS, Yun IH, Chung YH, Jeon JM, Kim HW, Lee MS, Lee YB, Kim YM. 2012. Removal of off-flavors from sea tangle (Laminaria japonica) extract by fermentation with Aspergillus oryzae. Bioresour Technol 121: 475-479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.07.007
- Kim JW, Kwon YR, Youn KS. 2012. Quality characteristics and antioxidant properties in spray-dried and freeze-dried powder prepared with powdered seaweed extracts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 44: 716-721. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.6.716
- Kim SJ, Lee GS, Moh SH, Park JB, Auh CK, Chung YJ, Ryu TK, Lee TK. 2013. Phenolic contents and antioxidant activities of six edible seaweeds. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 14: 3081-3088. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.3081
- Cha SH, Ahn GN, Heo SJ, Kim KN, Lee KW, Song CB, Kim SM, Jeon YJ. 2006. Screening of extracts from marine green and brown algae in Jeju for potential marine angiotensin-I converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory activity. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 307-314. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.3.307
- Lee NY. 2013. Antioxidant effect and tyrosinase inhibition activity of seaweeds ethanol extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 1893-1898. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.12.1893
- Enhanced anti-inflammatory activity of brown seaweed Laminaria japonica by fermentation using Bacillus subtilis vol.51, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2016.08.024
- Application of seaweeds to develop new food products with enhanced shelf-life, quality and health-related beneficial properties vol.99, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2016.08.016
- Laminaria japonica increases plasma exposure of glycyrrhetinic acid following oral administration of Liquorice extract in rats vol.13, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/S1875-5364(15)30049-2
- Extract Attenuates Palmitate-Induced Toxicity and Enhances Insulin Secretion in Pancreatic Beta-Cells vol.2018, pp.1942-0994, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4973851
- Diversity analysis of Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolated from natural sources by multilocus sequence typing (MLST) vol.27, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-018-0335-z