- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Effects of Cranberry Powder in Lipopolysaccharide Treated Hypercholesterolemic Rats
- Kim, Mi Joung (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul Women's University) ;
- Kim, Jung Hee (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul Women's University) ;
- Kwak, Ho-Kyung (Department of Home Economics, Korea National Open University)
- Received : 2013.10.21
- Accepted : 2014.03.05
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of cranberry power on antioxidant defense system in rats fed an atherogenic diet and injected with lipopolysaccharide (LPS). Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into the following 5 groups: normal diet+saline (NS), atherogenic diet+saline (AS), atherogenic diet+LPS (AL), atherogenic diet with 5% cranberry powder+LPS (AL-C5), and atherogenic diet with 10% cranberry powder+LPS (AL-C10). Total antioxidant status measured by ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) was significantly reduced by LPS injection (24%) and was restored by the cranberry powder treatment (P<0.05). In addition, the mean level of plasma total phenolics was significantly decreased by LPS injection (P<0.05) and tended to be increased when cranberry powder was incorporated in to the diet. Activity of serum superoxide dismutase (SOD) tended to be lowered by LPS injection and declined further in cranberry powder fortified groups. Overall results indicate that dietary cranberry powder may provide appropriate antioxidants to counter the diminished antioxidant status induced by exposing hypercholesterolemic rats to LPS.
- Maher MA, Mataczynski H, Stefaniak HM, Wilson T. 2000. Cranberry juice induces nitric oxide-dependent vasodilation in vitro and its infusion transiently reduces blood pressure in anesthetized rats. J Med Food 3: 141-147. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2000.3.141
- Wilson T, Porcari JP, Maher MA. 1999. Cranberry juice inhibits metal and non-metal initiated oxidation of human low density lipoproteins in vitro. Journal of Nutraceuticals, Functional and Medical Foods 2: 5-14.
- Henderson B, Poole S, Wilson M. 1996. Bacterial modulins: a novel class of virulence factors which cause host tissue pathology by inducing cytokine synthesis. Microbiol Rev 60: 316-341.
- Hsu DZ, Liu MY. 2003. Sesame oil protects against lipopolysaccharide- stimulated oxidative stress in rats. Crit Care Med 32: 227-231.
- Yamada H, Arai T, Endo N, Yamashita K, Fukuda K, Sasada M, Uchiyama T. 2006. LPS-induced ROS generation and changes in glutathione level and their relation to the maturation of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells. Life Sci 78: 926-933. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2005.05.106
- Pedersen CB, Kyle J, Jenkinson AM, Gardner PT, McPhail DB, Duthie GG. 2000. Effects of blueberry and cranberry juice consumption on the plasma antioxidant capacity of healthy female volunteers. Eur J Clin Nutr 54: 405-408. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1600972
- Cao G, Russell RM, Lischner N, Prior RL. 1998. Serum antioxidant capacity is increased by consumption of strawberries, spinach, red wine or vitamin C in elderly women. J Nutr 128: 2383-2390. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.12.2383
- Zheng W, Wang SY. 2003. Oxygen radical absorbing capacity of phenolics in blueberries, cranberries, chokeberries, and lingonberries. J Agric Food Chem 51: 502-509. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020728u
- Reagan-Shaw S, Nihal M, Ahmad N. 2008. Dose translation from animal to human studies revisited. FASEB J 22: 659-661. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.07-9574LSF
- Masmoudi A, Labourdette G, Mersel M, Huang FL, Huang KP, Vincendon G, Malviya AN. 1989. Protein kinase C located in rat liver nuclei. Partial purification and biochemical and immunochemical characterization. J Biol Chem 264: 1172-1179.
- Benzie IFF, Strain JJ. 1996. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": the FRAP assay. Anal Biocem 239: 70-76. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Singleton VL, Rossi JA. 1956. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic 16: 144-158.
- Jia A, Tang M, Wu J. 1999. The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals. Food Chem 64: 555-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00102-2
- Paglia DE, Valentine WN. 1967. Studies on the quantitative and qualitative characterization of erythrocyte glutathione peroxides. J Lab Clin Med 70: 158-169.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. 1951. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Vinson JA, Bose P, Proch J, Al Kharrat H, Samman N. 2008. Cranberries and cranberry products: powerful in vitro, ex vivo, and in vivo sources of antioxidants. J Agric Food Chem 56: 5884-5891. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf073309b
Kim SJ, Park JH, Kim KH, Lee WR, Lee S, Kwon OC, Kim KS, Park KK. 2010. Effect of NF-
$\kappa$B decoy oligodeoxynucleotide on LPS/high-fat diet-induced atherosclerosis in an animal model. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 107: 925-930. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7843.2010.00617.x
- Iiyama K, Hajra L, Iiyama M, Li H, DiChiara M, Medoff BD, Cybulsky MI. 1999. Patterns of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 expression in rabbit and mouse atherosclerotic lesions and at sites predisposed to lesion formation. Circ Res 85: 199-207. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.RES.85.2.199
- Kukongviriyapan U, Sompamit K, Pannangpetch P, Kukongviriyapan V, Donpunha W. 2012. Preventive and therapeutic effects of quercetin on lipopolysaccharideinduced oxidative stress and vascular dysfunction in mice. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 90: 1345-1353. https://doi.org/10.1139/y2012-101
- WHO. 1990. Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic disases: report of a WHO study group. World Health Organization technical report series; 797. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Pietta PG. 2000. Flavonoids as antioxidant. J Nat Prod 63: 1035-1042. https://doi.org/10.1021/np9904509
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, Cronin MT, Mazur M, Telser J. 2007. Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39: 44-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2006.07.001
- Yang RL, Shi YH, Hao G, Li W, Le GW. 2008. Increasing oxidative stress with progressive hyperlipidemia in human: relation between malondialdehyde and atherogenic index. J Clin Biochem Nutr 43: 154-158. https://doi.org/10.3164/jcbn.2008044
- Del Boccio G, Lapenna D, Porreca E, Pennelli A, Savini F, Feliciani P, Ricci G, Cuccurullo F. 1990. Aortic antioxidant defence mechanisms: time-related changes in cholesterolfed rabbits. Atherosclerosis 81: 127-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9150(90)90019-F
- Kim MJ, Jung HN, Kim KN, Kwak HK. 2008. Effects of cranberry powder on serum lipid profiles and biomarkers of oxidative stress in rats fed an atherogenic diet. Nutr Res Pract 2: 158-164. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2008.2.3.158
- Matos SL, de Paula H, Pedrosa ML, dos Santos RC, de Oliveira EL, Chianca Júnior DA, Silva ME. 2005. Dietary models for inducing hypercholesterolemia in rats. Braz Arch Biol Technol 48: 203-209. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-89132005000200006
- Wang W, Jittikanont S, Falk SA, Li P, Feng L, Gengaro PE, Poole BD, Bowler RP, Day BJ, Crapo JD, Schrier RW. 2003. Interaction among nitric oxide, reactive oxygen species, and antioxidants during endotoxemia-related acute renal failure. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 284: F532-F537. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajprenal.00323.2002
- Kim JH, Kim MK. 2003. Effect of different part of mandarin intake on antioxidative capacity in 15-month-old rats. Korean J Nutr 36: 559-569.
- Rouanet JM, Decorde K, Rio DD, Auger C, Borges G, Cristol JP, Lean MEJ, Crozier A. 2010. Berry juices, teas, antioxidants and the prevention of atherosclerosis in hamsters. Food Chem 118: 266-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.04.116
- Crespo I, Garcia-Mediavilla MV, Almar M, Gonzalez P, Tunon MJ, Sanchez-Campos S, Gonzalez-Gallego J. 2008. Differential effects of dietary flavonoids on reactive oxygen and nitrogen species generation and changes in antioxidant enzyme expression induced by proinflammatory cytokines in Chang Liver cells. Food Chem Toxicol 46: 1555-1569. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.12.014
- Decorde K, Teissedre PL, Auger C, Cristol JP, Rouanet JM. 2008. Phenolics from purple grape, apple, purple grape juice and apple juice prevent early atherosclerosis induced by an atherogenic diet in hamsters. Mol Nutr Food Res 52: 400-407. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.200700141
- Kaur G, Tirkey N, Chopra K. 2006. Beneficial effect of hesperidin on lipopolysaccharide-induced hepatotoxicity. Toxicology 226: 152-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2006.06.018
- Reed J. 2002. Cranberry flavonoids, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular health. Critl Rev Food Sci Nutr 42: 301-316. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408390209351919
- Duthie SJ, Jenkinson AM, Crozier A, Mullen W, Pirie L, Kyle J, Yap LS, Christen P, Duthie GG. 2006. The effects of cranberry juice consumption on antioxidant status and biomarkers relating to heart disease and cancer in healthy human volunteers. Eur J Nutr 45: 113-122. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-005-0572-9
- Nijveldt RJ, van Nood E, van Hoorn DE, Boelens PG, van Norren K, van Leeuwen PA. 2001. Flavonoids: a review of probable mechanisms of action and potential applications. Am J Clin Nutr 74: 418-425. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/74.4.418
- Evans P, Halliwell B. 2001. Micronutrients: oxidant/antioxidant status. Br J Nutr 85: S67-S74. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2000296
- Deepa PR, Varalakshmi P. 2003. Salubrious effect of low molecular weight heparin on atherogenic diet-induced cardiac, hepatic and renal lipid peroxidation and collapse of antioxidant defences. Mol Cell Biochem 254: 111-116. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1027324318973
- Watson AM, Warren G, Howard G, Shedlofsky SI, Blouin RA. 1999. Activities of conjugating and antioxidant enzymes following endotoxin exposure. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 13: 63-69. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0461(1999)13:2<63::AID-JBT1>3.0.CO;2-I
- Martinello F, Soares SM, Franco JJ, Santos AC, Sugohara A, Garcia SB, Curti C, Uyemura SA. 2006. Hypolipemic and antioxidant activities from Tamarindus indica L. pulp fruit extract in hypercholesterolemic hamsters. Food Chem Toxicol 44: 810-818. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2005.10.011
- Rocha KK, Souza GA, Ebaid GX, Seiva FR, Cataneo AC, Novelli EL. 2009. Resveratrol toxicity: effects on risk factors for atherosclerosis and hepatic oxidative stress in standard and high-fat diets. Food Chem Toxicol 47:1362-1367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2009.03.010
- Yoshikawa T, Takano H, Takahashi S, Ichikawa H, Kondo M. 1994. Changes in tissue antioxidant enzyme activities and lipid peroxides in endotoxin-induced multiple organ failure. Circ Shock 42: 53-58.
- Effects of cranberry (Vaccinum macrocarpon) supplementation on iron status and inflammatory markers in rowers vol.14, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12970-017-0165-z
- INHIBITION OF INSECT GLUTATHIONE S-TRANSFERASE (GST) BY CONIFER EXTRACTS vol.87, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/arch.21192
- Chemical characterization and chemo-protective activity of cranberry phenolic powders in a model cell culture. Response of the antioxidant defenses and regulation of signaling pathways vol.71, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2015.02.022
- Beneficial effects of cranberry in the prevention of obesity and related complications: Metabolic syndrome and diabetes – A review vol.20, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2015.11.001
- The extracts from Panax quinquefolium shoots derived from somatic embryos accumulate ginsenosides and have the antioxidant properties vol.51, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11627-015-9730-9
- Cranberry antioxidant power on oxidative stress, inflammation and mitochondrial damage vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2017.1409758