- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Ameliorating Effect of Mycoleptodonoides aitchisonii on High-fat Diet-induced Obese Mice
- Lee, Mi Ra (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Begum, Shahnaz (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Oh, Deuk Sil (Jeollanam-do Forest Resource Research Institute) ;
- Wee, An Jin (Jeollanam-do Forest Resource Research Institute) ;
- Yun, Byung Sun (Jeollanam-do Forest Resource Research Institute) ;
- Sung, Chang Keun (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2014.03.31
- Accepted : 2014.05.20
- Published : 2014.06.30
The present study investigated the anti-obesity effects of Mycoleptodonoides aitchisonii (MA) in mice fed a high-fat (HF) diet. Two groups were fed either a normal control diet or an HF (45% kcal fat) diet for 12 weeks and three groups were fed an HF diet supplemented with powdered MA (MAP, 1%, 3%, and 5%) for 12 weeks. The anti-obesity effects of MAP supplementation on body weight, fat mass development, and lipid-related markers were assessed. Consumption of an HF diet resulted in increased body weight, serum lipids, relative adipose tissues weight, and liver fat accumulation. However, administration of MAP significantly decreased body weight gain, food intake, food efficiency ratio, hepatic cholesterol level, and adipose tissue weight in a dose-dependent manner. In addition, treatment with MAP significantly reduced the occurrence of fatty liver deposits and steatosis, and inhibited an HF diet-induced increase in adipocyte size. These results suggest that dietary supplementation with MAP exerts anti-obesity effects and indicate that MAP could be used as a functional food to control obesity.
Supported by : Jeollanam-do Forest Resource Research Institute
- Hu FB, van Dam RM, Liu S. 2001. Diet and risk of type II diabetes: the 18 role of types of fat and carbohydrate. Diabetologia 44: 805-817. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001250100547
- Arner P, Spalding KL. 2010. Fat cell turnover in humans. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 396: 101-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2010.02.165
- Karamadoukis L, Shivashankar GH, Ludeman L, Williams AJ. 2009. An unusual complication of treatment with orlistat. Clin Nephrol 71: 430-432. https://doi.org/10.5414/CNP71430
- de Simone G, D'Addeo G. 2008. Sibutramine: balancing weight loss benefit and possible cardiovascular risk. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18: 337-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2008.03.008
- Mayer MA, Hocht C, Puyo A, Taira CA. 2009. Recent advances in obesity pharmacotherapy. Curr Clin Pharmacol 4: 53-61. https://doi.org/10.2174/157488409787236128
- Nakayama T, Suzuki S, Kudo H, Sassa S, Nomura M, Sakamoto S. 2007. Effects of three Chinese herbal medicines on plasma and liver lipids in mice fed a high fat diet. J Ethnopharmacol 109: 236-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2006.07.041
- Krzyzanowska J, Czubacka A, Oleszek W. 2010. Dietary phytochemicals and human health. Adv Exp Med Biol 698: 74-98. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-7347-4_7
- Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA, Baile CA. 2008. Phytochemicals and regulation of the adipocyte life cycle. J Nutr Biochem 19: 717-726. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2007.12.007
- Gonzalez-Castejon M, Rodriguez-Casado A. 2011. Dietary phytochemicals and their potential effects on obesity: a review. Pharmacol Res 64: 438-455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2011.07.004
- Lindequist U, Niedermeyer THJ, Julich WD. 2005. The pharmacological potential of mushrooms. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2: 285-299. https://doi.org/10.1093/ecam/neh107
- Wu D, Pae M, Ren Z, Guo Z, Smith D, Meydani SN. 2007. Dietary supplementation with white button mushroom enhances natural killer cell activity in C57BL/6 mice. J Nutr 137: 1472-1477. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/137.6.1472
- Chang R. 1996. Functional properties of edible mushrooms. Nutr Rev 54: S91-S93.
- Yasukawa K, Kanno H, Kaminaga T, Takido M, Kasahara Y, Kumaki K. 1996. Inhibitory effect of methanol extracts from edible mushroom on TPA-induced ear oedema and tumour promotion in mouse skin. Phytother Res 10: 367-369. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1573(199606)10:4<367::AID-PTR852>3.0.CO;2-D
- Sakamoto Y, Takeuchi A, Sato T, Obara K, Takai K, Fujino K, Hirose T, Inagaki Y. 2001. Identification of antihypertensive substance in an aqueous extract from fruit body of Mycoleptodonoides aitchisonii. Oyo Yakuri 61: 221-229.
- Lo HC, Tsai FA, Wasser SP, Yang JG, Huang BM. 2005. Effects of ingested fruiting bodies, submerged culture biomass, and acidic polysaccharide glucuronoxylomannan of Tremella mesenterica Retz.:Fr. on glycemic responses in normal and diabetic rats. Life Sci 78: 1957-1966.
- Schneider I, Kressel G, Meyer A, Krings U, Berger RG, Hahn A. 2011. Lipid lowering effects of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) in humans. J Funct Foods 3: 17-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2010.11.004
- Garg A, Misra A. 2002. Hepatic steatosis, insulin resistance, and adipose tissue disorders. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 3019-3022. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.87.7.8736
- Jeong SC, Jeong YT, Yang BK, Islam R, Koyyalamudi SR, Pang G, Cho KY, Song CH. 2010. White button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) lowers blood glucose and cholesterol levels in diabetic and hypercholesterolemic rats. Nutr Res 30: 49-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2009.12.003
- Archer BJ, Johnson SK, Devereux HM, Baxter AL. 2004. Effect of fat replacement by inulin or lupin-kernel fibre on sausage patty acceptability, post-meal perceptions of satiety and food intake in men. Br J Nutr 91: 591-599. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN20031088
- Ibrugger S, Kristensen M, Mikkelsen MS, Astrup A. 2012. Flaxseed dietary fiber supplements for suppression of appetite and food intake. Appetite 58: 490-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2011.12.024
- Dandona P, Mohanty P, Ghanim H, Aljada A, Browne R, Hamouda W, Prabhala A, Afzal A, Garg R. 2001. The suppressive effect of dietary restriction and weight loss in the obese on the generation of reactive oxygen species by leukocytes, lipid peroxidation, and protein carbonylation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86: 355-362.
- Smith BW, Adams LA. 2011. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and diabetes mellitus: pathogenesis and treatment. Nat Rev Endocrinol 7: 456-465. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2011.72
- Catta-Preta M, Mendonca LS, Fraulob-Aquino J, Aguila MB, Mandarim-de-Lacerda CA. 2011. A critical analysis of three quantitative methods of assessment of hepatic steatosis in liver biopsies. Virchows Arch 459: 477-485. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-011-1147-1
- Burt AD, Mutton A, Day CP. 1998. Diagnosis and interpretation of steatosis and steatohepatitis. Semin Diagn Pathol 15: 246-258.
- Mancini FP, Lanni A, Sabatino L, Moreno M, Giannino A, Contaldo F, Colantuoni V, Goglia F. 2001. Fenofibrate prevents and reduces body weight gain and adiposity in diet-induced obese rats. FEBS Lett 491: 154-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(01)02146-9
- Cheung PCK. 1996. The hypocholesterolemic effect of two edible mushrooms: Auricularia auricula (tree ear) and Tremella fuciformis (white jelly-leaf) in hypercholesterolemic rats. Nutr Res 16: 1721-1725. https://doi.org/10.1016/0271-5317(96)00191-1
- Okuyama S, Terashima T, Kawamura Y, Yokogoshi H. 2004. Enhancing effect of Mycoleptodonoides aitchisonii on synthesis of nerve growth factor and releasing dopamine in the rat brain. Nutr Neurosic 7: 41-47. https://doi.org/10.1080/10284150310001653613
- Kokubo T, Taniguchi Y, Kanayama M, Shimura M, Konishi Y, Kawagishi H, Yamamoto M, Shindo K, Yoshida A. 2011. Extract of the mushroom Mycoleptodonoides aitchisonii induces a series of anti-oxidative and phase II detoxifying enzymes through activation of the transcription factor Nrf2. Food Chem 129: 92-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.04.031
- Oh DS, Wee AJ, Park HS, Kim HS, Shin HJ, Yang EJ. 2012. New Mycoleptodonoides aitchisonii strains and artificial method for cultivating same. KR patent 10-1110487B.
- Folch J, Lees M, Sloane-Stanley GH. 1957. A simple method for theisolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 226: 497-509.
- Uchiyama M, Mihara M. 1978. Determination of malonaldehyde precursor in tissues by thiobarbituric acid test. Anal Biochem 86: 271-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(78)90342-1
- Kawagishi H, Suzuki H, Watanabe H, Nakamura H, Sekiguchi T, Murata T, Usui T, Sugiyama K, Suganuma H, Inakuma T, Ito K, Hashimoto Y, Ohnishi-Kameyama M, Nagata T. 2000. A lectin from an edible mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus as a food intake-suppressing substance. Biochim Biophys Acta 1474: 299-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4165(00)00027-1
- Bartnicki-Garcia S. 1970. Cell wall composition and other biochemical markers in fungal phylogeny. In Phytochemical Phylogeny. Harborne JB, ed. Academic Press, London, UK. p 81-103.