- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Whitening Effect of Fagopyrum tataricum Extract
쓴메밀 추출물의 미백 개선 효과
- Han, Na Kyeong (R&D Center, Hankook Cosmetics MAFG Co., Ltd.) ;
- Park, Chang Min (R&D Center, Hankook Cosmetics MAFG Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kwon, Ju Chan (R&D Center, Hankook Cosmetics MAFG Co., Ltd.) ;
- Joung, Min Seok (R&D Center, Hankook Cosmetics MAFG Co., Ltd.) ;
- Choi, Jong Wan (R&D Center, Hankook Cosmetics MAFG Co., Ltd.)
- 한나경 ((주)한국화장품제조 기술개발연구소) ;
- 박창민 ((주)한국화장품제조 기술개발연구소) ;
- 권주찬 ((주)한국화장품제조 기술개발연구소) ;
- 정민석 ((주)한국화장품제조 기술개발연구소) ;
- 최종완 ((주)한국화장품제조 기술개발연구소)
- Received : 2013.12.27
- Accepted : 2014.02.27
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study was performed to DPPH radical scavenging activity, ABTS radical scavenging activity, tyrosinase inhibition activity and intracellular melanin synthesis inhibition to verify the whitening effect of Fagopyrum tataricum (bitter buckwheat) extract as contrasted with Fagopyrum esculentum (sweet buckwheat) extract. F. tataricum extract in consequence showed higher antioxidant activities, tyrosinase inhibition activity and melanin synthesis inhibition compared with F. esculentum extract. We investigated skin bright value during 8 weeks after induction of pigmentation in human skin from UV irradiation. In result, we obtained statistically a significant skin whitening effect from visual and mechanical evaluation. Accordingly, F. tataricum extract is expected to be high availability as functional cosmetic material for skin whitening.
- H. Masaki, Role of antioxidants in the skin: anti-aging effects, J. Dermatol. Sci., 58(2), 85 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdermsci.2010.03.003
- M. Yaar and B. A. Gilchrest, Skin aging: postulated mechanisms and consequent changes in structure and function, Clin. Geriatr. Med., 17(4), 617 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-0690(05)70089-6
- G. U. Seo, S. Y. Choi, T. W. Kim, S. G. Ryu, J. H. Park, and S. C. Lee, Functional activities of makgeolli by-products as cosmetic materials, J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 23(4), 505 (2013).
- R. E. Roberta, N. Pellegrini, A. Proteggente, A. Pannala, M. Yang, and C. Rice-Evans, Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay, Free Radic. Biol. Med., 26, 1231 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- I. S. Kwak, Comparison of different assays for evaluating antioxidant activity of polyphenols and tea extract, Master's Thesis Dissertation, Chonbuk National Univ., Jeonju, Korea (2008).
- J. Y. Hwang, T. S. Park, and J. H. Son, Whitening effect of extract and fractions from Diospyros kaki caly, J. Life Sci., 23(3), 383 (2013). https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.3.383
- B. R. Yoon, B. J. Cho, H. k. Lee, D. J. Kim, S. K. Rhee, H. D. Hong, K. T. Kim, C. W. Cho, H. S. Choi, B. Y. Lee, and O. H. Lee, Antioxidant and anti-adipogenic effects of ethanolic extract from tartary and common buckwheat, Korean J. Food Preserv., 19(1), 123 (2012). https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.1.123
- G. S. Chung, Physicochemical properties of common and tartary buckwheats, Master's Thesis Dissertation, Department of Food Science and Nutrition Dankook University, Cheonan, Korea (2006).
- M. S. Ko, H. J. Lee, and M. J. Kang, Antioxidant activities and whitening effects of extract from Hippophae rhamnoides L., J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life, 22(6), 812 (2012).
- E. J. Seo, E. S. Hong, M. H. Choi, K. S. Kim, and S. J. Lee, The antioxidant and skin whitening effect of Artemisia iwayomogi extract, Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol., 44(1), 89 (2012). https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.1.089
- D. H. Won, S. B. Han, J. P. Hwang, S. J. Kim, J. O. Park, and S. N. Park, Antioxidative effect and tyrosinase inhibitory activity of Lindera obtusiloba blume extract, J. Soc. Cosmet. Sci. Korea, 38(4), 297 (2012).
- C. M. Park, J. Y. Bae, M. S. Joung, and J. W. Choi, Whitening effect of 3-O-cetyl-L-ascorbic acid, J. Soc. Cosmet. Sci. Korea, 37(1), 91 (2011).
- K. M. Lee, E. C. Lee, S. C Cho, and S. S Moon, The antimelanogenic effects of compounds extracted from bamboo inner fil, J. Soc. Cosmet. Sci. Korea, 34(4), 287 (2008).
- Y. H. Chang, J. S. Ryu, S. H. Lee, S. G. Park, H. D. Bhattarai, J. H. Yim, and M. H. Jin, Inhibition of melanogenesis by ramalin from the antarctic lichen Ramalina terebrata, J. Soc. Cosmet. Sci. Korea, 38(3), 247 (2012).
- E. J. Seo, E. S. Hong, M. H. Choi, K. S. Kim, and S. J. Lee, Antioxidant and skin whitening effects of Rhamnus yoshinoi extract, Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol., 42(6), 750 (2010).
- J. Y. Kim and S. N. Park, A study on application for cosmeceutical of Fagopyrum esculentum extracts, J. Soc. Cosmet. Sci. Korea, 34(2), 83 (2008).
- S. J. Lee, Y. Y. Kwon, S. W. Cho, H. S. Kwon, and W. C. Shin, Effects of ehwa makgeolli containing oriental herbs on skin whitening and wrinkle, J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 42(4), 550 (2013). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.550
- J. K. Yoo, J. H. Lee, H. Y. Cho, and J. G. Ki, The effects of soybean protopectinase on melanin biosynthesis, J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 42(3), 355 (2013). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.3.355
- Y. G. Yu, M. S. Jeong, J. Y. Choe, and J. Y. Kim, A study on whitening effect of Ephedra sinica extract, Korean J. Design Cult. Soc., 31, 153 (2005).
- E. Y. Hwang, D. H. Kim, J. Y. Hwang, H. J. Kim, T. S. Park, I. S. Lee, and J. H. Son, A Study on the depigmenting effect of Carthamus tinctorius seed, Cyperus rotundus and Schizonepeta tenuifolia extract, Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 44(1), 76 (2012). https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.1.076
- M. J. Jeon, M. H. Kim, H. J. Jang, S. W. Lee, J. H. Kim, H. S. Kim, and S. H. Lee, Whitening effect of Hizikia fusiformis ethanol extract and its fraction, J. Life Sci., 22(7), 889 (2012). https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.7.889
- S. Y. Seo, Screening of tyrosinase inhibitors from oriental herbs, Kor. J. Plant Res., 14, 32 (2001).
- J. Y. Lee and B. J. An, Whitening and anti-wrinkling effects of fractions from Prunus persica Flos, Korean J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 40(4), 364 (2012). https://doi.org/10.4014/kjmb.1207.07007
- F. Solano, S. Briganti, M. Picardo, and G. Ghanem, Hypopigmenting agents: an updated review on biological, chemical and clinical aspects, Pigment Cell Res., 19, 550 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0749.2006.00334.x
- Y. J. Jeong, Kinetic analysis on tyrosinase inhibition activity whitening of agents, Master's Thesis Dissertation, Soongsil Univ., Seoul, Korea (2012).
- J. Y. Choi, Protective effects of tartary buckwheat from recognition impairment through anti-inflammation and protection from neuronal cell, Master's Thesis Dissertation, Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National Univ., Pusan, Korea (2013).
- Whitening and anti-wrinkle effect ofPinus koraiensisleaves extracts according to the drying technique vol.60, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2017.013
- Whitening Effect of Banana Leaf Extract vol.42, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15230/SCSK.2016.42.1.37
- Applicability of Lindera obtusiloba Flower Extracts as Cosmetic Ingredients vol.15, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.20402/ajbc.2016.0088
- Whitening Effect of Green Tea Seed Shell Ethanol Extracts vol.44, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.10.1470