- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Performance Degradation of a Battery in an Energy Storage System (ESS) under Various Operating Conditions and Monitoring Study of ESS Connected with Photovoltaic
에너지 저장 시스템 (ESS)용 배터리의 운전조건에 따른 성능 저하 및 태양광 연계형 ESS 모니터링 연구
- Jung, Euney (Ruby Co., Ltd.) ;
- Jung, Hanjoo (Ruby Co., Ltd.) ;
- Jeong, Younki (Ruby Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Jaeyoung (Hydrogen Fuel Cell Parts and Applied Technology RIC, Woosuk University) ;
- Lee, Hongki (Hydrogen Fuel Cell Parts and Applied Technology RIC, Woosuk University)
- 정윤이 ((주)루비) ;
- 정한주 ((주)루비) ;
- 정연기 ((주)루비) ;
- 이재영 (우석대학교 수소연료전지 부품 및 응용기술 지역혁신센터) ;
- 이홍기 (우석대학교 수소연료전지 부품 및 응용기술 지역혁신센터)
- Received : 2014.06.02
- Accepted : 2014.06.30
- Published : 2014.06.30
Performance degradation of a battery in 20 kWh energy storage system (ESS) under various operating conditions was studied. And energy saving of the ESS was also monitored by connecting with 20 kW photovoltaic (PV). PV-connected ESS saved 5~7% of energy consumption in 2013 compared to that without such system in 2012. As charge-discharge cycle increased, capacity decreased and the performance degradation was glaringly obvious after 40 cycles. And as charge and discharge rate increased, the performance degradation was more serious. After 50 charge-discharge cycles, a lot of degraded product was deposited on the surface of anode and cathode electrodes, and the cathode side was more contaminated. Therefore, in order to maintain the cell performance, it was more important to protect the degradation of the cathode side.
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- K. S. Choi, Y. K. Ahn, Y. C. Park, W. C. Park, H. M. Seo, K. M. Jung, and K. H. Seo, "Architectural design of home energy saving system based on realtime energy-awareness," Proceedings of the 4th International Conference, 2009, pp. 1-5.
- C. Y. Leong, A. R. Ramli, and T. Perumal, "A rule-based framework for heterogeneous subsystems management in smart home environment," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics (55), 2009, pp. 1208-1213. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2009.5277977
- A. H. Mohsenian-Rad, V. Wong, J. Jatskevich, and R. Schober, "Optimal and autonomous incentivebased energy consumption scheduling algorithm for smart grid", Innovative Smart Grid Technologies, ISGT, 2010.
- A. A. Akhil, G. Huff, A. B. Currier, B. C. Kaun, D. M. Rastler, S. B. Chen, A. L. Cotter, D. T. Bradshaw, W. D. Gauntlett, "(forthcoming) DOE/EPRI 2013 Electricity Storage Handbook in Collaboration with NRECA", 2013.
- D. Bhatnagar, V. Loose, "Evaluating Utility Procured Electric Energy Storage Resources: A Perspective for State Electric Utility Regulators", SAND2012-9422. Albuquerque, NM: Sandia National Laboratories.
- California Energy Commission (CEC), "Comparative Costs of California Central Station Electricity Generation", CEC-200-2009-07SF. Sacramento, CA: CEC, 2010.
- D. Connolly, H. Lund, P. Finn, B. V. Mathiesen, and M. Leahy, "Practical Operation Strategies for Pumped Hydroelectric Energy Storage (PHES) Utilizing Electricity Price Arbitrage", Energy Policy (39), 2011, pp. 4189-4196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2011.04.032
- P. Denholm, E. Ela, B. Kirby and M. Milligan, "The Role of Energy Storage with Renewable Electricity Generation. NREL/TP-6A2-47187", Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2010.
- A. Poullikkas, "A Comparative Overview of Largescale Battery Systems for Electricity Storage", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews (27), 2013, pp. 778-788. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.07.017
- C. J. Rydh, and B. A. Sande, "Energy Analysis of Batteries in Photovoltaic Systems. Part II: Energy Return Factors and Overall Battery Efficiencies", Energy Conversion & Management (46), 2005, pp. 1980-2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2004.10.004
- J. P. Barton, and D. G. Infield, "Energy Storage and Its Use with Intermittent Renewable Energy", IEEE Transactionson Energy Conversion (19), 2004, pp. 441-448. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.822305