- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on Body Shape Perception and Satisfaction of Korean and Chinese Female University Students
한·중 여대생의 체형인지도와 신체만족도 비교연구
- Received : 2014.02.26
- Accepted : 2014.05.28
- Published : 2014.06.28
Survey was conducted on 201 female college students who in at the university to analyze perceptions and satisfaction levels about their body shapes. Results revealed that the Chinese female students recognized that they had broader shoulder angles, bigger breasts and longer calves and legs than Korean female students whereas the Korean female students had larger hip and thigh circumference than Chinese female students. It was found that the Chinese female students had preference for drooping shoulders while the Korean students perceived themselves as thinner and have longer arms, fingers, waist measurement, torso thickness, calves, feet and legs are ideal body shapes. The results of this study show that body weight, height and chest size have a lot of influence on it and the Korean female students were less satisfied their body shape compared with the Chinese female college students. The correlation analysis indicated that body shapes were an important indicator of satisfaction and the thinner the body shape, chest, thigh, waist, finger, arms, the greater the satisfactions.
Actual body shapes;ideal body shapes;satisfaction with one's body
- Show. S, & L, Kemeny(1989). Fitness promotion for adolescent girls: The impact and effectiveness of Promotional, Adolescence 14(95), 677
- Song, K. J., & Kim, Jae. sook. (2005). The Effect of Body-image Measured by Multi Measurements on Body Modification, Self Concept, and Clothing Behavior, Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 29(3), 91-402.
- Su, H. S., & Song, J. A. (2004). A Study on Body Cathexis, Satisfaction with Apparel Fit and Appearance - Management Behaviors according to Physical figure, Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 6(3), 329-335.
- Sung, M. J., & Kim, H. E. (2001). Classification of the Somatotype by Obesity Indexes and Body Cognition of Female College Students, Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 3(3), 227-234.
- Nam, Y. J., & Lee, S. H. (2001). Comparison of Perceived Body size and actual body size between Korean and American college woman. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 25(4), 764-772.
- Lim, K. B. (2008). A Study on Attitudinal Body Image and Clothing Behavior According to the Body Cathexis, Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 10(6), 882-889.
- Mable, H. M., Balance, W., & Galgan, R. (1986). Body image distortion and dissatisfaction in university students. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 63, 907-911. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1918.104.22.1687
- Moses, M., Banilvy, M. M., & Lishitz, F. (1989). Fear of Obesity Among Adolescent Girls, Pediatrics 83(3), 393
- Park, J. H., & Park, O. L. (2009). A Study on the Degree of Bodily Satisfaction and the Attitude towards Managing External Appearance according to women's Degree of Interest in External Appearance, Journal of the Korea Soc. Beauty and Art, 10(2), 115-126.
- Park, J. K., & Nam, Y. J., & Choi, K. M. (2004). A Comparison of Satisfaction for Actual Body and Perceived Body between Korean and Japanese Female College Students, Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 28(6), 758-766.
- Park, W. M. (1999). Preferred Style of Clothing with Body Cathexis by Korean and American Female Students, Journal of Korean Socity of Costume, 48, 25-36.
- Park, W. M. (2000). Comparative Study on the Satisfaction with and Perception about their Bodies by Korean and American Female Students. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 24(5), 736-747.
- Richard E. A., Hawthome R. E(1971). Volues."body cathexis and clothing of mali university students", Journal of Home economics, 63(3), pp. 190-194
- Rudd, N.A., & Lennon. S. J.(2001). Body image: Linking aesthetics and social psychology of appearance. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 19(3). 120-133 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X0101900303
- Shim, J. H. (2003). A Study on Self-Evaluation about Real Body-type of te Middle-Aged Women, Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 27(1), 18-28.
- Kim, I, H., & Lim, J. Y. (2010). The Effect of Body Image on the Clothes and Dieting of Female University Students, Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 19(4), 687-698. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2010.19.4.687
- Jung, J. E., & Lee, S. W. (1993). A Study on Real Body Size and Ideal Body Shape of 18 to 26 Year-Old Women, Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 17(3), 448-458
- Kang, N. S. (2011). The Effect of Satisfaction in University Students on Appearance Management Behavior and Beauty Consumption Behavior. The Korean Society for Aesthetics and cosmetology, 9(1), 63-80.
- Kim, C. J., & Yu, H. K. (2010). Regional Characteristics of Street Fashion In China-Focused on Yanji, Beijing, Shanghai in 2008 F/W-, Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(10), 1581-1595. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.10.1581
- Korea Federation of Textile Industries(2013). 패션 섬유산업현황(Present Status of Fashion Textile Industry), Retrieved October 17, 2013, from http://www .Kofoti .or.kr /textile/present.asp
- Labat, K. L,, & Delong, M. R. (1990). Body Cathexis and Satisfaction with Fit of Apparel. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 8(2), 43 -48 . https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9000800206
- Lee, H. M., & Kim, Y. J. 2003). Body Image and Body Satisfaction of College Women, Journal of the Korean Society of BEAUTY AND ART, 4(2), 363-374.
- Lee, J. S., & Han, G. H. (2007). The Effects of University Woman Students Recognition on the image and satisfaction of their physical bodies, Journal of Fashion Business, 11(2), 145-154.
- Lee, J. S., & Han, G. H. (2007). The Research on the Female College Students Perception of their bodies and their Appearance-Management Behaviors, Journal of Fashion Business, 11(4), 111-119.
- Lee, K. L., & Park, S. H. (2004). Apparel Fit by Body Perception and Body Satisfaction, Journal of the Society of Costume, 54(1), 69-81.
- Lee, M. J., & Kim, Y. W. (2012). Body Cathexis and Clothing Image of Female Collegians by Somatotype, Korean J Community Living Sci, 23(3), 221-231 https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2012.23.3.221
- Lim, K. B. (1997). The Effect of Body Cathexis on the Clothing Behavior-among Male and Female College Students. The Research Journal of Culture Association, 5(2), 195-205.
- Cho, H. R., & Choi, J. M. (2007). Relationship between Body Satisfaction and Appearance Enhancement Behavior of College Students, Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 16(4), 825-835 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.4.825
- Cho, S. M., & Koh, A. R. (2001). The Effects of Sociocultural Attitude toward Appearance and Body Images on Clothing Benefits Sought, Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 25(7), 1227-1238.
- Cho, Y. J. (2003). The Comparative Study on Perception and Satisfaction of Somatotype of University Woman Students. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 41 (11), 73-80.
- Cho, Y. J. (2005). Clothing Preference Based on the Perceived Body Types, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 43(10), 155-165.
- Cho, Y. J., & Lee, J. R. (2004). A Study on the Satisfaction and the Clothing Behavior based on the Perceived Somatotype by Korean Female Students. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 28(2), 262-269.
- Choi, B. S., & Hong, J. P. (2000). A Comparative Survey on Misconception and Desire for Physique of College Women in Taegu and Fukuoka. Journal of the Korean Society of Dietary Culture, 15(5), 435-442.
- Choi, Y. M., & Son, He. Soon. (1997). A Study on Real somatotype and Body consciousness of Middle-aged women, The Journal of the Korean society of costumes, 31, 119-130.
- Choo, Tae. Gue. (2002). Multiple Body-Image and Clothing-Benefit Sought According to Body-Cathexis, Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 4(4), 376-382.
- International Textile Newspaper(2011), 패션, 중국서 길을 찾다(Fashion, Find a Way in China), Retrieved April 4, 2011, from http://www.itnk.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=32496
- Jeon, K. S. (2002). Clothing Involvement and Clothing Satisfaction by the Awareness of Body Type, Journal of the Society of Costume, 52(3), 75-85.
- Attitudes toward Appearance and Body Satisfaction according to Uniform Modification Behavior of Middle and High School Girls vol.19, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12940/jfb.2015.19.4.168