- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Traffic Adaptive Wakeup Control Mechanism in Wireless Sensor Networks
무선 센서 네트워크에서 트래픽 적응적인 wakeup 제어 메커니즘
- Received : 2014.02.10
- Accepted : 2014.05.07
- Published : 2014.06.30
In this paper, we propose a traffic adaptive mechanism that controls the receiver's wakeup periods based on the generated traffic amounts. The proposed control mechanism is designed for military, wild animal monitoring, and forest fire surveillance applications. In these environments, a low-rate data transmission is usually required between sensor nodes. However, continuous data is generated when events occur. Therefore, legacy mechanisms are ineffective for these applications. Our control mechanism showed a better performance in energy efficiency compared to the RI-MAC owing to the elimination of the sender node's idle listening.
WSNs (Wireless Sensor Networks);Energy Efficiency;traffic adaptive;RI-MAC
- J. Polastre, J. Hill, and D. Culler, "Versatile Low Power Media Access for Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the Second International Conference On Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, pp. 95-107, 2004.
- A. El-Hoiydi and J.D. Decotignie, "WiseMAC: An Ultra Low Power MAC Protocol for Multi-hop Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Algorithmic Aspects of Wireless Sensor Networks, pp. 18-31, 2004.
- Y. Sun, O. Gurewitz, and D.B. Johnson, "RI-MAC: A Receiver-initiated Asynchronous Duty Cycle MAC Protocol for Dynamic Traffic Loads in Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceeding of the 6th ACM Conference on Embedded Network Sensor Systems, pp. 1-14, 2008.
- M. Buettner, G.V. Yee, E. Anderson, and R. Han. "X-MAC: A Short Preamble MAC Protocol for Duty-cycled Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceeding of the 4th International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, pp. 307-320, 2006.
- W. Ye, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, "An Energy-Efficient MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the 21st Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, Vol. 3, pp. 1567-1576, 2002.
- T.V. Dam and K. Langendoen, "An Adaptive Energy-Efficient MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the First International Conference On Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, pp. 171-180, 2003.
- P. Huang, L. Xiao, S. Soltani, M.W. Mutka, and N. Xi, "The Evolution of MAC Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey," Communications Surveys & Tutorials, IEEE, Vol. 15, Issue 1, pp. 101-120, 2013.
- 최동민, 모상만, 정일용,"무선 센서 네트워크에서 에너지 효율적인 가변 영역 라우팅 프로토콜," 한국멀티미디어학회 논문지, vol. 11. no. 8, pp. 1072-1081, 2008.
- J. Hui, Z. Ren, and B.H. Krogh, "Sentry-based Power Management in Wireless Sensor Networks," Second International Workshop on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 458-472, 2003.
- I. Howitt and J. Wang, "Energy Balanced Chain in Distributed Sensor Networks," IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Vol. 3, pp. 1721-1726, 2004.
- I.F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, "A Survey on Sensor Networks," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 40, Issue 8, pp. 102-114, 2002.
- Energy Efficient and Multimedia Traffic Friendly MAC Protocol in Wireless Sensor Networks vol.19, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2016.19.8.1460
- Design and Implementation of Farm Pest Animals Repelling System Based on Open Source vol.19, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2016.19.2.451
- Efficient Packet Transmission Mechanism for Multi-hop Wireless Sensor Networks vol.18, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2015.18.4.492