- Volume 3 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Identification of Herbicide-Resistant Barnyardgrass (Echinochloa crus-galli var. crus-galli) Biotypes in Korea
- Won, Ok Jae (Department of Crop Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Jeung Joo (Department of Applied Biology, IALS, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Eom, Min Yong (Department of Crop Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Suh, Su Jeoung (Department of Crop Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Park, Su Hyuk (Department of Crop Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Hwang, Ki Seon (Department of Crop Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Pyon, Jong Yeong (ReSEAT Program, Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information) ;
- Park, Kee Woong (Department of Crop Science, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2014.05.29
- Accepted : 2014.06.09
- Published : 2014.06.30
The continuous use of acetolactate synthase (ALS) and acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACCase) inhibitors has led to the selection of herbicide resistant barnyardgrass populations in direct-seeded rice fields of Korea. This study was conducted to identify herbicide resistant barnyardgrass biotypes and to determine the cross- and multiple-resistance of them. 25% of the population collected from Taeahn was partially resistant to ACCase inhibitors and 22% collected from Kimjae were partially resistant to ALS inhibitors. However, 8.2% of the population from both sites was resistant to ALS and ACCase inhibitors. Resistance to sulfonylurea herbicide, flazasulfuron was identified from two barnyardgrass accessions collected from both Taeahn and Kimjae. One barnyardgrass accession from both sites was resistant to ACCase inhibitor, sethoxydim. The cross-resistance to ALS inhibitors was identified at one barnyardgrass accession from Taeahn and at two accessions from Kimjae. Further, crossresistance to ACCase inhibitors was also identified at barnyardgrass accessions from Taeahn and Kimjae. Multiple-resistance to flazasulfuron and sethoxydim was determined at four barnyardgrass accessions from Taeahn and at six accessions from Kimjae. Therefore, the herbicide mixture and sequences within a growing season or the herbicide rotation with different modes of actions across growing seasons are recommended to control herbicide-resistant barnyardgrass in infested fields.
Acetolactate synthase (ALS);Acetyl coenzyme A carboxylase (ACCase);Barnyardgrass;Herbicide-resistance
- Maxwell, B.D. and Mortimer, A.M. 1994. Selection for herbicide resistance. In: Powles, S. B. and J. A. M. Holtum (eds): Herbicide resistance in plants; Biology and biochemistry. Lewis Publishers, Florida, USA. pp. 1-26.
- Ruiz-Santaella, J.P., Prado, R.D., Wagner, J., Fischer, A.J. and Gerhards, R. 2006. Resistance mechanism to cyhalofop-butyl in a biotype of Echinochloa phyllopogon from California. J. Plant Dis. Protec. 20: 95-100.
- Yasuor, H., Osuna, M.D., Ortiz, A., Saldain, N.E., Eckert, J.W. and Fischer, A.J. 2009. Mechanism of resistance to penoxsulam in late watergrass (Echinochloa phyllopogon). J. Agric. Food Chem. 57(9):3653-3660. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf8039999
- Im, S.H., Park, M.W., Yook, M.J. and Kim, D.S. 2009. Resistance to ACCase inhibitor cyhalofop-butyl in Echinochloa crus-galli var. crus-galli collected in Seosan, Korea. Korean J. Weed Sci. 29(1):178-184. (In Korean)
- Iwakami, S., Uchino, A., Watanabe, H.W. and Yamasue, Y. 2012. Isolation and expression of genes for acetolactate synthase and acetyl-CoA carboxylase in Echinochloa phyllopogon, a polyploidy weed species. Pest Manag. Sci. 68(7):1098-1106. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.3287
- Kaloumenos, N.S., Chatzilazaridou, S.L., Mylona, P.V., Polidoros, A.N. and Eleftherohorinos, L.G. 2013. Target-site mutation associated with cross-resistance to ALS-inhibiting herbicides in late watergrass (Echinochloa oryzicola Vasing.). Pest Manag. Sci. 69(7):865-873. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.3450
- Osuna, M.D., Vidotto, F., Fischer, A.J., Bayer, D.E. and Ferrero, A. 2002. Cross-resistance to bispyribac-sodium, and bensulfuronmethyl in Echinochloa phyllopogon and Cyperus difformis. Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 73(1)9-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-3575(02)00010-X
- Park, T.S., Kim, C.S., Park, J. E., Oh, Y.K. and Kim, K.U. 1999. Sulfonylurea-resistant biotype of Monochoria korsakowii in reclaimed paddy fields in Seosan, Korea. Korean J. Weed Sci. 19(4):340-344.
- Park, T.S., Ku, B.I., Kang, S.K., Choi, M.K., Park, H.K., Lee, K.B. and Ko, J.K. 2010. Response of the resistant biotype of Echinochloa oryzoides to ACCase and ALS inhibitors and effect of alternative herbicides. Korean J. Weed Sci. 30(3):291- 299. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5660/KJWS.2010.30.3.291
- Riar, D.S., Norsworthy, J.K., Srivastava, V.S., Nandula, V.N., Bond J.A. and Scott R.C. 2013. Physiological and molecular basis of acetolactate synthase-inhibiting herbicide resistance in barnyardgrass (Echinochloa crusgalli). J. Agric. Food Chem. 61(2):278-289. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf304675j
- Fischer, A.J., Ateh, C.M., Bayer, D.E. and Hill, J.E. 2000. Herbicide- resistant Echinochloa oryzoides and E. phyllopogon in California Oryza sativa fields. Weed Sci. 48(2):225-230. https://doi.org/10.1614/0043-1745(2000)048[0225:HREOAE]2.0.CO;2
- Heap, I. 2012. International survey of herbicide resistant weeds. http://www.weedscience.com (Accessed on Sep. 10. 2012).
- Im, I.B. 2009. Control and emergence of herbicides resistant Echinochloa oryzicola in paddy field of Korea. Korean J. Weed Sci. 29(2):103-104. (In Korean)
- Cross-resistance of Echinochloa species to acetolactate synthase inhibitor herbicides vol.17, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/wbm.12123
- Multiple-herbicide resistance in Echinochloa crus-galli var. formosensis, an allohexaploid weed species, in dry-seeded rice vol.119, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pestbp.2015.02.007
- Barnyardgrass with Multiple Resistance to Synthetic Auxin, ALS and Accase Inhibitors vol.34, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/s0100-83582016340400023