- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Application of Botulinum Toxin on Masticatory Muscle of Patients with Bruxism
- Jang, Seok-Min (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Jeon, Hye-Mi (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Hee (Department of Oral Medicine, Busan Paik Hospital, Inje University College of Medicine) ;
- Ok, Soo-Min (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Heo, Jun-Young (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Jeong, Sung-Hee (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Ahn, Yong-Woo (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2014.03.12
- Accepted : 2014.04.17
- Published : 2014.06.30
Purpose: This study aims to evaluate the changes in soft tissue thickness of the masseteric region after injection of botulinum toxin type A (BTX-A). Methods: Twenty-four data acquired from medical records were classified into 4 groups: bruxer group that received masseter muscle injection only (M-B), bruxer group that received both masseter and temporalis muscle injections (MT-B), non-bruxer group that received masseter muscle injection only (M-NB) and non-bruxer group that received both masseter and temporalis muscle injections (MT-NB). Injection dose of BTX-A was 30 units for each masseter muscle and 20 units for each temporalis muscle. We measured the reduced thickness of the masseteric region before and after 12 weeks after injection using cone-beam computed tomography. Results: Among the patients that received both masseter and temporalis muscle injections, bruxer group showed a tendency to have more reduction in masseter muscle thickness than non-bruxer group. The difference in reduced thickness between M-B and MT-B tended to show greater than the difference between M-NB and MT-NB. Conclusions: In case of masseter hypertrothy patients with bruxism there was a tendency to show a difference in reduced thickness of soft tissue between the group that received both masseter and temporalis muscles injection and the group that received masseter muscle injection only hence a thorough inspection before the injection of BTX-A is condisered to be needed.
Botulinum toxins;Cone-beam computed tomography;Masticatory muscles
Supported by : Pusan National University Dental Hospital
- Pidcock FS, Wise JM, Christensen JR. Treatment of severe posttraumatic bruxism with botulinum toxin-A: case report. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002;60:115-117. https://doi.org/10.1053/joms.2002.29127
- Amorim CF, Vasconcelos Paes FJ, de Faria Junior NS, de Oliveira LV, Politti F. Electromyographic analysis of masseter and anterior temporalis muscle in sleep bruxers after occlusal splint wearing. J Bodyw Mov Ther 2012;16:199-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2011.04.001
- von Lindern JJ, Niederhagen B, Bergé S, Appel T. Type A botulinum toxin in the treatment of chronic facial pain associated with masticatory hyperactivity. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2003;61:774-778. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-2391(03)00153-8
- Van Zandijcke M, Marchau MM. Treatment of bruxism with botulinum toxin injections. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1990;53:530.
- To EW, Ahuja AT, Ho WS, et al. A prospective study of the effect of botulinum toxin A on masseteric muscle hypertrophy with ultrasonographic and electromyographic measurement. Br J Plast Surg 2001;54:197-200. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjps.2000.3526
- Kim HJ, Yum KW, Lee SS, Heo MS, Seo K. Effects of botulinum toxin type A on bilateral masseteric hypertrophy evaluated with computed tomographic measurement. Dermatol Surg 2003;29:484-489.
- Kalaykova SI, Lobbezoo F, Naeije M. Risk factors for anterior disc displacement with reduction and intermittent locking in adolescents. J Orofac Pain 2011;25:153-160.
- Alves AC, Alchieri JC, Barbosa GA. Bruxism. Masticatory implications and anxiety. Acta Odontol Latinoam 2013;26:15-22.
- Lobbezoo F, van der Zaag J, van Selms MK, Hamburger HL, Naeije M. Principles for the management of bruxism. J Oral Rehabil 2008;35:509-523. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2008.01853.x
- Scott AB. Botulinum toxin injection of eye muscles to correct strabismus. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 1981;79:734-770.
- Rao LB, Sangur R, Pradeep S. Application of Botulinum toxin type A: an arsenal in dentistry. Indian J Dent Res 2011;22:440-445. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.87068
- Silberstein S, Mathew N, Saper J, Jenkins S. Botulinum toxin type A as a migraine preventive treatment. For the BOTOX Migraine Clinical Research Group. Headache 2000;40:445-450. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1526-4610.2000.00066.x
- Sidebottom AJ, Patel AA, Amin J. Botulinum injection for the management of myofascial pain in the masticatory muscles. A prospective outcome study. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013;51:199-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2012.07.002
- Binder WJ, Brin MF, Blitzer A, Schoenrock LD, Pogoda JM. Botulinum toxin type A (BOTOX) for treatment of migraine headaches: an open-label study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000;123:669-676. https://doi.org/10.1067/mhn.2000.110960
- Schulte-Mattler WJ, Wieser T, Zierz S. Treatment of tension-type headache with botulinum toxin: a pilot study. Eur J Med Res 1999;4:183-186.
- El Maaytah M, Jerjes W, Upile T, Swinson B, Hopper C, Ayliffe P. Bruxism secondary to brain injury treated with botulinum toxin- A: a case report. Head Face Med 2006;2:41. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-160X-2-41
- Ivanhoe CB, Lai JM, Francisco GE. Bruxism after brain injury: successful treatment with botulinum toxin-A. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1997;78:1272-1273. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(97)90343-9
- Guarda-Nardini L, Manfredini D, Salamone M, Salmaso L, Tonello S, Ferronato G. Efficacy of botulinum toxin in treating myofascial pain in bruxers: a controlled placebo pilot study. Cranio 2008;26:126-135.
- Long H, Liao Z, Wang Y, Liao L, Lai W. Efficacy of botulinum toxins on bruxism: an evidence-based review. Int Dent J 2012;62:1-5.
- Clark GT, Ram S. Four oral motor disorders: bruxism, dystonia, dyskinesia and drug-induced dystonic extrapyramidal reactions. Dent Clin North Am 2007;51:225-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2006.09.002
- Sohn SM, Chung GC, Kim ME, Kim KS. Nocturnal bruxism and botulinum toxin effect on the subjects with masseteric hypertrophy. Korean J Oral Med 2007;32:337-346.
- Tsai CY, Lin YC, Su B, Yang LY, Chiu WC. Masseter muscle fibre changes following reduction of masticatory function. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012;41:394-399. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2011.10.016
- [No authors listed]. The glossary of prosthodontic terms. J Prosthet Dent 2005;94:10-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2005.03.013
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The international classification of sleep disorders: diagnostic & coding manual. 2nd ed. Westchester: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2005.
- De Leeuw R. Orofacial pain: guidelines for assessment, diagnosis, and management. 4th ed. Chicago: Quintessence Publishing;2008. pp. 316.
- Manfredini D, Winocur E, Guarda-Nardini L, Paesani D, Lobbezoo F. Epidemiology of bruxism in adults: a systematic review of the literature. J Orofac Pain 2013;27:99-110. https://doi.org/10.11607/jop.921
- Ahlberg J, Lobbezoo F, Ahlberg K, et al. Self-reported bruxism mirrors anxiety and stress in adults. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2013;18:e7-e11.
- Lobbezoo F, Naeije M. Bruxism is mainly regulated centrally, not peripherally. J Oral Rehabil 2001;28:1085-1091. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2001.00839.x
- Moore AP, Wood GD. The medical management of masseteric hypertrophy with botulinum toxin type A. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1994;32:26-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-4356(94)90168-6
- Smyth AG. Botulinum toxin treatment of bilateral masseteric hypertrophy. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1994;32:29-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-4356(94)90169-4
- Nigam PK, Nigam A. Botulinum toxin. Indian J Dermatol 2010;55:8-14. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-5154.60343
- Freund B, Schwartz M, Symington JM. The use of botulinum toxin for the treatment of temporomandibular disorders: preliminary findings. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1999;57:916-920; discussion 920-921. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-2391(99)90007-1
- Niamtu J 3rd. Aesthetic uses of botulinum toxin A. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1999;57:1228-1233. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-2391(99)90493-7
- Lee SJ, McCall WD Jr, Kim YK, Chung SC, Chung JW. Effect of botulinum toxin injection on nocturnal bruxism: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2010;89:16-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/PHM.0b013e3181bc0c78
- Sleep Disturbances and Personality Type Test vol.40, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14476/jomp.2015.40.3.102