- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Cultural and Environmental Unsoundness of the Chinese Public Squatting-Type Toilet: A Case Study toward a Sustainable Excreta Treatment System
- Chang, Jin-Soo (Molecular Biogeochemistry Laboratory, Biological and Genetic Resources Institute (BGRI))
- Received : 2014.01.25
- Accepted : 2014.02.28
- Published : 2014.06.30
The inconvenient truth of sustainable public squat toilet culture varies among nationalities. This culture may be comfortable to the people of China, yet uncomfortable to the non-Chinese, according to the adequate environmental management in Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture (YKAP), northern China. We conducted a series of field surveys and individual interviews (Chinese n = 1,000 and non-Chinese [foreign visitors] n = 100) on several aspects of the public squat toilet: structural properties, waste disposal methods, important factors, and overall satisfaction level. The significant factors in response to the public squat toilets were cleanliness, odor, toilet paper, temperature, soap, other facilities, and presence of cubicles. These factors should be policy priorities of the local government. In addition, 66.2% of Chinese and 91% of foreign visitors desired type E toilets (two full-high partition walls and a door). The results illustrate the nature of a sustainable and beautiful approach to the culturally and environmentally sound management of various types of public squat toilet in YKAP. The government needs to focus on the future-oriented and excreta treatment management of the sustainable toilet culture for residents and visitors of YKAP.
- Mara DD. The design of pour-flush latrines. Washington: The World Bank; 1985.
- Stanwell-Smith R. Public toilets down the drain? Why privies are a public health concern. Public Health 2010;124:613-616. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2010.07.002
- Korea Toilet Association [Internet]. Suwon: Korea Toilet Association; c2012 [cited 2014 Apr 15]. Available from: http://www.toilet.or.kr/site/index.php.
- Miller FP, Vandome AF, McBrewster J. Composting toilet. Saarbrucken: Alphascript Publishing; 2010. p. 38-69.
- Chang JS, Chey MH, Huh MS. The cultural sustainability of squat outhouse toilets in rural and urban arean: a case study of the Yanbian region in China. Int. J. Green Eng. Manag. 2012;1:84-94.
- Bath area, Mohenjo-daro in Sindh, Pakistan [Internet]. San Francisco: harappa.com; c2008 [cited 2014 Apr 15]. Available from: http://www.harappa.com/indus/12.html.
- Cho UH, Hyun YJ. Ubiquitous toilet. Seoul: Yocheolyo Publishing; 2006.
- US Environemntal Protection Agency. Wastewater technology fact sheet: high-efficiency toilets (EPA 832-F-00-047). Washington: Environemntal Protection Agency; 2000.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. Water efficiency technology fact sheet: incinerating toilets (EPA 832-F-99-072). Washington: Environemntal Protection Agency; 1999.
- Langergraber G, Muellegger E. Ecological sanitation: a way to solve global sanitaion problems? Environ. Int. 2005;31:433-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2004.08.006
- Zhang ZN, Su G, Ge GL, Zhao GY, Wu ZY. Rural sanitary domestic flushing toilet system. Water Res. 1996;30:2826-2829. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(96)00186-8
- Quitzau MB. Water-flushing toilets: systemic development and path-dependent characteristics and their bearing on technological alternatives. Technol. Soc. 2007;29:351-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2007.04.005
- Zavala MA, Funamizu N, Takakuwa T. Biological activity in the composting reactor of the bio-toilet system. Bioresour. Technol. 2005;96:805-812. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.07.009
- Hotta S, Funamizu N. Simulation of accumulated matter from human feces in the sawdust matrix of the composting toilet. Bioresour. Technol. 2009;100:1310-1314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.07.044
- Lindholm O, Greatorex JM, Paruch AM. Comparison of methods for calculation of sustainability indices for alternative sewerage systems: theoretical and practical considerations. Ecol. Indic. 2007;7:71-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2005.10.002
- Redlinger T, Graham J, Corella-Barud V, Avitia R. Survival of fecal coliforms in dry-composting toilets. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2001;67:4036-4040. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.67.9.4036-4040.2001
- Tonner-Klank L, Moller J, Forslund A, Dalsgaard A. Microbiological assessments of compost toilets: in situ measurements and laboratory studies on the survival of fecal microbial indicators using sentinel chambers. Waste Manag. 2007;27:1144-1154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2006.04.021
- Borsuk ME, Maurer M, Lienert J, Larsen TA. Charting a path for innovative toilet technology using multicriteria decision analysis. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2008;42:1855-1862. https://doi.org/10.1021/es702184p
- Lienert J, Larsen TA. High acceptance of urine source separation in seven European countries: a review. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2010;44:556-566. https://doi.org/10.1021/es9028765
- Cai D, You M. An ergonomic approach to public squattingtype toilet design. Appl. Ergon. 1998;29:147-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-6870(96)00023-3
- Mamee W, Sahachaisaeree N. Public toilet design criteria for users with walking disability in conjunction of universal design paradigm. Procedia Soc. Behav. Sci. 2010;5:1246-1250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.07.269
- Blum NJ, Taubman B, Nemeth N. Why is toilet training occurrig at older? A study of factors associated with alter training. J. Pediatr. 2004;145:107-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2004.02.022
- Lienert J, Larsen TA. Considering user attitude in early development of environmentally friendly technology: a case study of NoMix toilets. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2006;40:4838-4844. https://doi.org/10.1021/es060075o
- You M, Cai D, Chen W. A case study of the design and evaluation of squatting-type toilet for public lavatories. Proceedings of the 7th TVE Conference of ROC; 1992 Mar 20-21; Pingtung, Taiwan.
- Hephaestus Books. Toilet types, including: flush toilet, squat toilet, composting toilet, chemical toilet, blair toilet, clivus multrum, board toilet, accessible toilet, arborloo, dual flush toilet, pail closet. [place unknown]: Hephaestus Books; 2011.
- Anand C, Apul DS. Economic and environmental analysis of standard, high efficiency, rainwater flushed, and composting toilets. J. Environ. Manag. 2011;92:419-428. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.08.005
- Nasir A, Korejo R, Noorani KJ. Child birth in squatting position. J. Pak. Med. Assoc. 2007;57:19-22.
- Tung YC, Hu SC, Tsai TY. Influence of bathroom ventilation rates and toilet location on odor removal. Build. Environ. 2009;44:1810-1817. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2008.12.005
- Howard G, Bogh C. Healthy villages: a guide for communities and community health workers. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2002.
- Batterman S, Eisenberg J, Hardin R, et al. Sustainable control of water-related infectious diseases: a review and proposal for interdisciplinary health-based systems research. Environ. Health Perspect. 2009;117:1023-1032. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.0800423
- Bridle KL, Kirkpatrick JB. An analysis of the breakdown of paper products (toilet paper, tissues and tampons) in natural environments, Tasmania, Australia. J. Environ. Manag. 2005;74:21-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2004.08.004
- Del Porto D, Steinfeld C. The composting toilet system book. Concord: The Center for Ecological Pollution; 2000. p.125-166.
- March JG, Gual M, Orozco F. Experiences on greywater re-use for toilet flushing in a hotel (Mallorca Island, Spain). Desalination 2004;164:241-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(04)00192-4