- Volume 34 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Physicochemical and Functional Traits of Hanwoo Steer Beef by the Quality Grade
- Received : 2013.12.16
- Accepted : 2014.04.14
- Published : 2014.06.30
The physicochemical and functional traits for loin muscles of Hanwoo steers were compared by quality grade (QG). A total of 500 Hanwoo steers were slaughtered, their carcasses were categorized into four groups (QG 1++, 1+, 1, and 2), and the longissimus dorsi muscles were analyzed. QG 1++ group had the highest fat and lowest moisture content (p<0.05). QG 1++ showed higher
Hanwoo steers;quality grade;functional components;sensory evaluation
- Lee, K. H. and Lee, Y. S. (2001) Changes of nucleotides and their related compounds in cultured and wild red sea bream and flounder muscle. Korean J. Food Soc. Cookery Sci. 17, 517-522.
- Kim, C. J. and Lee, E. S. (2003). Effects of quality grade on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) beef. Meat Sci. 63, 397-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00099-2
- Kim, D. H., Kim, Y. K., Chung, Y. H., Yoo, Y. M., and Park, B. Y. (1993). A study on the consumer's attitude to beef: 1. Consumer's purchasing pattern and preference. RDA J. Agric. Sci. 35, 598-601.
- Lee, C. M., Trevino, B., and Chaiyawat, M. (1996). A simple and rapid solvent extraction method for determining total lipids in fish tissue. J. Assoc. Offic. Anal. Chem. 79, 487-492.
- Lee, Y. J., Kim, C. J., Park, B. Y., Seong, P. N., Kim, J. H., Kang, G. H., Kim, D. H., and Cho, S. H. (2010). Korean J. Food Sci. An. 30, 997-1006. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.6.997
- Moon, S. S., Hwang, I. H., Jin, S. K., Lee, J. G., Joo, S. T., and Park, G. B. (2003). Carcass traits determining quality and yield grades of Hanwoo steer. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 16, 1049-1054. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1049
- Moon, S. S., Yang, H. S., Park, G. B., and Joo, S. T. (2006). The relationship of physiological maturity and marbling judged according to Korean grading system to meat quality traits of Hanwoo beef females. Meat Sci. 74, 516-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.027
- Mora, L., Sentandreu, M. A., and Toldra, F. (2007) Hydrophilic chromatographic determination of carnosine, anserine, balenine, creatine, and creatinine. J. Agric. Food Chem. 55, 4664-4669. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0703809
- Neely, T. R., Lorenzen, C. L., Miller, R. K., Tatum, J. D., Wise, J. W., Taylor, J. F., Buyck, M. J., Reagan, J. O., and Savell, J. W. (1998). Beef customer satisfaction: role of cut, USDA quality grade, and city on in-home consumer ratings. J. Anim. Sci. 76, 1027-1032. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7641027x
- Hughes, M. C., Kerryb, J. P., Arendtb, E. K., Kenneallyc, P. M., McSweeneya, P. L. H., and O'Neilla, E. E. (2002) Characterization of proteolysis during the ripening of semi-dry fermented sausages. Meat Sci. 62, 205-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00248-0
- Fiems, L. O., De Campeneere, S., De Smet, D., Van de Voorde, G., Vanacker, J. M., and Boucque, C. V. (2000). Relationship between fat depots in carcasses of beef bulls and effect on meat colour and tenderness. Meat Sci. 56, 41-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00017-6
- Flores, M., Armero, E., Aristoy, M. C., and Toldra, F. (1999) Sensory characteristics of cooked pork loin as affected by nucleotide content post-mortem meat quality. Meat Sci. 51, 53-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00097-7
- Folch, J., Lee, M., and Sloane-Stanley, G. H. (1957). A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497-507.
- Hwang, Y. H., Kim, G. D., Jeong, J. Y., Hur, S. J., and Joo, S. T. (2010). The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and meat quality traits of highly marbled Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) steers. Meat Sci. 86, 456-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.034
- Jo, C., Cho, S. H., Chang, J., and Nam, K. C. (2012) Keys to production and processing of Hanwoo beef: A perspective of tradition and science. Animal Frontiers 2, 32-38.
- KAFE (2013) Report of business for animal products grading. Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation, Korea.
- AOAC (2000) Official methods of analysis. 17th ed, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Bures, D., Barton, L., Zahradkova, R., Teslik, V., and Krejcova, M. (2006) Chemical composition, sensory characteristics, and fatty acid profile of muscle from Aberdeen Angus, Charolais, Simmental, and Hereford bulls. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 51, 279-284.
- Cho, S. H., Kim, J., Park, B. Y., Seong, P. N., Kang, G. H., Kim, J. H., Jung, S. G., Im, S. K., and Kim, D. H. (2010). Assessment of meat quality properties and development of a palatability prediction model for Korean Hanwoo steer beef. Meat Sci. 86, 236-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.011
- Cho, S. H., Park, B. Y., Kim, J. H., Hwang, I. H., Kim, J. H., and Lee, J. M. (2005) Fatty acid profiles and sensory properties of Longissimus dorsi, Triceps brachii, and Semimembranosus muscles from Korean Hanwoo and Australian Angus beef. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 18, 1786-1793. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1786
- Cho, S. H., Seong, P. N., Kim, J. H., Park, B. Y., Baek, B. H., Lee, Y. J., In, T. C., Lee, J. M., Kim, D. H., and Ahn, J. N. (2008). Calorie, cholesterol, collagen, free amino acid, nucleotide- related compounds and fatty acid composition of Hanwoo steer beef with 1++ quality grade. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 28, 333-343. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.3.333
- Enser, M. (2001). The role of fats in human nutrition. In: Oils and fats. Rossell, B. (ed) Leatherhead Publishing, Surrey, UK, pp. 77-122.
- Tatum, J. D., Smith, G. C., and Carpenter, Z. L. (1982). Interrelationships between marbling, subcutaneous fat thickness, and cooked beef palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 34, 777-784.
- Wood, J. D., Nute, G. R., Richardson, R. I., Whittington, F. M., Southwood, O., Plastow, G., Mansbridge, R., da Costa, N., and Chang, K. C. (2004). Effects of breed, diet and muscle on fat deposition and eating quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 67, 651-667. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.01.007
- Rikimaru, K. and Takahashi, H. (2010) Evaluation of the meat from Hinai-jidori chickens and broilers: Analysis of general biochemical components, free amino acids, inosine 5'-monophosphate, and fatty acids. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 19: 327-333. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2010-00157
- SAS (1999) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 6.11, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Savell, J. W., Cross, H. R., and Smith, G. C. (1986). Percentage ether extractable fat and moisture content of beef longissimus muscle as related to USDA marbling score. J. Food Sci. 51, 838-845. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1986.tb13946.x
- Savell, J. W., Cross, H. R., Francis, J. J., Wise, J. W., Hale, D. S., Wilkes, D. L., and Smith, G. C. (1989). National consumer retail beef study: Interaction of trim level, price and grade on consumer acceptance of beef steaks and roasts. J. Food Qual. 12, 251-260. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1989.tb00328.x
- Tikk, M., Tikk, K., Torgen, M. A., Meinert, L., Aaslyng, M. D., Karlsson, A. H., and Anderson, H. J. (2006) Development of inosine monophosphate and its degradation products during aging of pork of different qualities in relation to basic taste and retronasal flavor perception of the meat. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54, 7769-7777. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf060145a
- Tseng, Y. H., Lee, R. C., Li, J. L., and Mau, J. L. (2005) Nonvolatile flavour components of Ganoderma tsugae. Food Chem. 90, 409-415. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.03.054
- Wheeler, T. L., Cundiff, L. V., Koch, R. M., and Crouse, J. D. (1996). Characterization of biological types of cattle (cycle IV): carcass traits and longissimus palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 74, 1023-1035. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7451023x
- WHO (2003) Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. Report of a joint WHO/FAO expert consultation. Geneva: WHO technical report series, p. 916.
- Park, B. Y., Cho, S. H., Yoo, Y. M., Kim, J. H., Lee, J. M., and Joung, S. K. (2000). Effect of intramuscular fat contents on the physicochemical properties of beef longissimus dorsi from Hanwoo. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 42, 189-194.
- NLCF (1998) Korean carcass grading standard. National Livestock Cooperatives Federation, Seoul, Korea.
- Okumura, T., Saito, K., Nade, T., Misumi, S., Masuda, Y., Sakuma, H., Nakayama, S., Fujita, K., and Kawamura, T. (2007) Effects of intramuscular fat on the sensory characteristics of M. longissimus dorsi in Japanese black steers as judged by a trained analytical panel. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 20, 577-581 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.577
- Ozawa, S., Mitsuhashi, T., Mitsumoto, M., Matsumoto, S., Itoh, N., and Itagaki, K. (2000). The characteristics of muscle fiber types of longissimus thoracis muscle and their influences on the quantity and quality of meat from Japanese Black steers. Meat Sci. 54, 65-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00072-8
- Park, G. B., Moon, S. S., Ko, Y. D., Ha, J. K., Chang, H. H., and Joo, S. T. (2002). Influence of slaughter weight and sex on yield and quality grades of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 80, 129-136. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.801129x
- Peiretti, P. G., Medana, C., Visentin, S., Bello, F. D., and Meineri, G. (2012). Effect of cooking method on carnosine and its homologues, pentosidine and thiobarbituric acid-reactive substance contents in beef and turkey meat. Food Chem. 132, 80-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.10.035
- Renand, G., Picard, B., Touraille, C., Berge, P., and Lepetit, J. (2001). Relationship between muscle characteristics and meat quality traits of young Charolais bulls. Meat Sci. 59, 49-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00051-1
- Rhee, M. S. and Kim, B. C. (2001). Effect of low voltage electrical stimulation and temperature conditioning on postmortem changes in glycolysis and calpains activities of Korean native cattle (Hanwoo). Meat Sci. 58, 231-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00155-8
- Comparison of the Microsatellite and Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Methods for Discriminating among Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle), Imported, and Crossbred Beef in Korea vol.34, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.6.763
- Comparison of Carcass and Sensory Traits and Free Amino Acid Contents among Quality Grades in Loin and Rump of Korean Cattle Steer vol.28, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0128
- Comparison of meat quality, fatty acid composition and aroma volatiles of Chikso and Hanwoo beef vol.31, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0902
- Effects of cooking method and final core-temperature on cooking loss, lipid oxidation, nucleotide-related compounds and aroma volatiles of Hanwoo brisket vol.31, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0217