- Volume 13 Issue 2
This paper discusses a green supply chain with a manufacturer and a collection trader, and it proposes an optimal production planning for remanufacturing of parts in used products with quality classification errors made by the collection trader. When a manufacturer accepts an order for parts from a retailer and procures used products from a collection trader, the collection trader might have some quality classification errors due to the lack of equipment or expert knowledge regarding quality classification. After procurement of used products, the manufacturer inspects if there are any classification errors. If errors are detected, the manufacturer reclassifies the misclassified (overestimated) used products at a cost. Accordingly, the manufacturer decides to remanufacture from the higher-quality used products based on a remanufacturing ratio or produce parts from new materials. This paper develops a mathematical model to find how quality classification errors affect the optimal decisions for a lower limit of procurement quality of used products and a remanufacturing ratio under the lower limit and the expected profit of the manufacturer. Numerical analysis investigates how quality of used products, the reclassification cost and the remanufacturing cost of used products affect the optimal production planning and the expected profit of a manufacturer.
Green Supply Chain;Uncertainty in Quality;Quality Classification Errors
- Zikopoulos, C. and Tagaras, G. (2008), On the attractiveness of sorting before disassembly in remanufacturing, IIE Transactions, 40(3), 313-323. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170701488078
- Yan, N. N. and Sun, B. W. (2012), Optimal Stackelberg strategies for closed-loop supply chain with thirdparty reverse logistics, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 29(5), 1250026. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217595912500261
- Zhang, P., Xiong, Y., Xiong, Z., and Yan, W. (2014), Designing contracts for a closed-loop supply chain under information asymmetry, Operations Research Letters, 42(2), 150-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orl.2014.01.004
- Zikopoulos, C. and Tagaras, G. (2007), Impact of uncertainty in the quality of returns on the profitability of a single-period refurbishing operation, European Journal of Operational Research, 182(1), 205-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.10.025
- Shi, J., Zhang, G., and Sha, J. (2011), Optimal production planning for a multi-product closed loop system with uncertain demand and return, Computers and Operations Research, 38(3), 641-650. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2010.08.008
- Pochampally, K. K., Nukala, S., and Gupta, S. M. (2009), Strategic Planning Models for Reverse and Closed-Loop Supply Chains, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Pokharel, S. and Liang, Y. (2012), A model to evaluate acquisition price and quantity of used products for remanufacturing, International Journal of Production Economics, 138(1), 170-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2012.03.019
- Savaskan, R. C. and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (2006), Reverse channel design: the case of competing retailers, Management Science, 52(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1050.0454
- Shi, J., Zhang, G., Sha, J., and Amin, S. H. (2010), Coordinating production and recycling decisions with stochastic demand and return, Journal of Systems Science and Systems Engineering, 19(4), 385-407. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11518-010-5147-5
- Tagaras, G. and Zikopoulos, C. (2008), Optimal location and value of timely sorting of used items in a remanufacturing supply chain with multiple collection sites, International Journal of Production Economics, 115(2), 424-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2007.10.026
- Tang, O. and Teunter, R. (2006), Economic lot scheduling problem with returns, Production and Operations Management, 15(4), 488-497.
- Teunter, R. H. and Flapper, S. D. P. (2011), Optimal core acquisition and remanufacturing policies under uncertain core quality fractions, European Journal of Operational Research, 210(2), 241-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2010.06.015
- Thierry, M., Salomon, M., Van Nunen, J. and Van Wassenhove, L. (1995), Strategic issues in product recovery management, California Management Review, 37(2), 114-135. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165792
- Van Wassenhove, L. N. and Zikopoulos, C. (2010), On the effect of quality overestimation in remanufacturing, International Journal of Production Research, 48(18), 5263-5280. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540903150585
- Wei, C., Li, Y., and Cai, X. (2011), Robust optimal policies of production and inventory with uncertain returns and demand, International Journal of Production Economics, 134(2), 357-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.11.008
- Wei, J., Zhao, J., and Li, Y. (2012), Pricing decisions for a closed-loop supply chain in a fuzzy environment, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 29(1), 1240003. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217595912400039
- Wu, C. H. (2012), Product-design and pricing strategies with remanufacturing, European Journal of Operational Research, 222(2), 204-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.04.031
- Guide, V. D. R. and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (2001), Managing product returns for remanufacturing, Production and Operations Management, 10(2), 142-155.
- Ferguson, M., Guide, V. D., Koca, E., and Souza, G. C. (2009), The value of quality grading in remanufacturing, Production and Operations Management, 18(3), 300-314. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2009.01033.x
- Fleischmann, M., Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J. M., Dekker, R., Van der Laan, E., Van Nunen, J. A., and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (1997), Quantitative models for reverse logistics: a review, European Journal of Operational Research, 103(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(97)00230-0
- Guide, V. D. R. (2000), Production planning and control for remanufacturing: industry practice and research needs, Journal of Operation Management, 18(4), 467-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(00)00034-6
- Guide, V. D. R., Teunter, R. H., and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (2003), Matching demand and supply to maximize profits from remanufacturing, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, 5(4), 303-316. https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.5.4.303.24883
- Guider, V. D. R. and Jayaraman, V. (2000), Product acquisition management: current industry practice and a proposed framework, International Journal of Production Research, 38(16), 3779-3800. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540050176003
- Inderfurth, K. (2005), Impact of uncertainties on recovery behavior in a remanufacturing environment: a numerical analysis, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 35(5), 318-336. https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030510607328
- Kaya, O. (2010), Incentive and production decisions for remanufacturing operations, European Journal of Operational Research, 201(2), 442-453. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2009.03.007
- Konstantaras, I., Skouri, K., and Jaber, M. Y. (2010), Lot sizing for a recoverable product with inspection and sorting, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 58(3), 452-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2009.11.004
- Lee, C., Realff, M., and Ammons, J. (2011), Integration of channel decisions in a decentralized reverse production system with retailer collection under deterministic non-stationary demands, Advanced Engineering Informatics, 25(1), 88-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aei.2010.04.001
- Mukhopadhyay, S. K. and Ma, H. (2009), Joint procurement and production decisions in remanufacturing under quality and demand uncertainty, International Journal of Production Economics, 120(1), 5-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.07.032
- Nenes, G., Panagiotidou, S., and Dekker, R. (2010), Inventory control policies for inspection and remanufacturing of returns: a case study, International Journal of Production Economics, 125(2), 300-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2010.02.008
- Aras, N., Boyaci, T., and Verter, V. (2004), The effect of categorizing returned products in remanufacturing, IIE Transactions, 36(4), 319-331. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170490279561
- Bakal, I. S. and Akcali, E. (2006), Effects of random yield in remanufacturing with price-sensitive supply and demand, Production and Operations Management, 15(3), 407-420.
- Behret, H. and Korugan, A. (2009), Performance analysis of a hybrid system under quality impact of returns, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 56(2), 507-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2007.11.001
- 1. Planning Demand- and Legislation-Driven Remanufacturing for a Product Family: A Model for Maximizing Economic and Environmental Potential vol.14, pp.2, 2015, doi:10.7232/iems.2014.13.2.231
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Japan Society for the Promotion of Science