- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Novel Carrier-to-noise Power Ratio Estimation Scheme with Low Complexity for GNSS Receivers
GNSS 수신기를 위한 낮은 복잡도를 갖는 새로운 반송파 대 잡음 전력비 추정기법
- Yoo, Seungsoo (Division of Electronics Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Baek, Jeehyeon (LIG Nex1) ;
- Yeom, Dong-Jin (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Jee, Gyu-In (Division of Electronics Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Sun Yong (Division of Electronics Engineering, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2014.02.24
- Accepted : 2014.04.16
- Published : 2014.07.01
The carrier-to-noise power ratio is a key parameter for determining the reliability of PVT (Position, Velocity, and Time) solutions which are obtained by a GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) receiver. It is also used for locking a tracking loop, deciding the re-acquisition process, and processing advanced navigation in the receiver subsystem. The representative carrier-to-noise power ratio estimation schemes are the narrowband-wideband power ratio method (NW), the MM (Moment Method), and Beaulieu's method (BL). The NW scheme is the most classical one for commercial GNSS receivers. It is often used as an authoritative benchmark for assessing carrier-to-noise power estimation schemes. The MM scheme is the least biased solution among them, and the BL scheme is a simpler scheme than the MM scheme. This paper focuses on the less biased estimation with low complexity when the residual phase noise remains, then proposes a novel carrier-to-noise power ratio estimation scheme with low complexity for GNSS receivers. The asymptotic bias of the proposed scheme is derived and compared with others, and the simulation results demonstrate that the complexity of the proposed scheme is lowest among them, while the estimation performance of the proposed scheme is similar to those of the BL and MM schemes in normal and high gained reception environments.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- E. D. Kaplan and C. J. Hegarty, Understanding GPS Principles and Applications, 2nd Edition, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2006.
- B. W. Parkinson, J. J. Spilker Jr., P. Axelrad, and P. Enge, Global Positioning System: Theory and Applications, vol. 1, AIAA, Reston, VA, 1996.
- E. Falletti, M. Pini, and L. Lo Presti, "Low complexity carrier-to-noise ratio estimators for GNSS digital receivers," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 47. no. 1, pp. 420-437, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2011.5705684
- M. Pini, E. Falletti, and M. Fantino, "Performance evaluation of C/N0 estimators using a real time GNSS software receiver," in Proc. of IEEE the 10th International Symposium on Spread Spectrum Techniques and Applications (ISSSTA 2008), Bologna, Italy, pp. 28-31, Aug. 2008.
- E. Falletti, M. Pini, L. Lo Presti, and D. Margaria, "Assessment on low complexity C/No estimators based on M-PSK signal model for GNSS receivers," in Proceedings on IEEE/ION Position, Location and Navigation Symposium (PLANS 2008), Monterey, CA, pp. 167-172, May 2008.
- D. R. Pauluzzi and N. C. Beaulieu, "A comparison of SNR estimation techniques for the AWGN channel," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1681-1691, Oct. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.871393
- N. C. Beaulieu, A. S. Toms, and D. R. Pauluzzi, "Comparison of four SNR estimators for QPSK modulations," IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 43-45, Feb. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/4234.824751
- F. M. Schubert, T. Jost, P. Robertson, R. Prieto-Cerdeira, and B. H. Fleury, "Evaluating tracking performance and a new carrier-to-noise estimation method using SNACS," in Proc. on IEEE/ION Position, Location and Navigation Symposium (PLANS 2010), Indian Wells, CA, pp. 254-263, May 2010.
- M. Baracchi-Frei, Real-time GNSS Software Receiver: Optimized for General Purpose Microprocessors, Sudwestdeutscher Verlag fur Hochschulschriften GmbH & Co. KG, Herstellung, Deutschland, 2011.
- J. Baek, S. Yoo, and S. Y. Kim, "A comparison of C/No estimation techniques for commercial GPS receivers under jamming environments," The Journal of Korea Information and Communications Society (in Korean), vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 973-975, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2013.38A.11.973
- M. K. Bek, S. Elgamel, E. Shaheen, and K. A. El-Barbary, "Evaluation of the GPS carrier to noise ratio in the presence of different interference signals," International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 458-468, Jul. 2013.
- J. W. Betz, "Effect of partial-band interference on receiver estimation of C/N0: Theory," in Proc. of the 2001 National Technical Meeting of The Institute of Navigation (ION/NTM 2001), Long Beach, CA, pp. 817-828, Jan. 2001.
- S. Jeong, S. Lee, and J. Kim, "Implementation and test of GNSS spoofing detection module," in Proc. of the 2013 13th International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS 2013), Gwangju, Republic of Korea, pp. 536-538, Oct. 2013.
- T.-H. Kim, C. S. Sin, S. Lee, and J. H. Kim, "Analysis of effect of anti-spoofing signal for mitigation to spoofing in GPS L1 signal," in Proc. of the 2013 13th International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS 2013), Gwangju, Republic of Korea, pp. 523-526, Oct. 2013.
- D. W. Lim, J. M. Kang, and M. B. Heo, "Hybrid TDOA/AOA localization algorithm for GPS jamming," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 101-105, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.13.1943
- Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual-Combined Volumes: 1, 2A, 2B, 2C, 3A and 3C, Intel, Developer's Manual, 2014.
- J. Baek, A Novel C/N0 Estimation Method considering Various Reception Environments with Low Complexity (in Korean), Master's Thesis, Konkuk University, Dec. 2013.