- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Prediction Algorithm for a Heavy Rain Newsflash using the Evolutionary Symbolic Regression Technique
진화적 기호회귀 분석기법 기반의 호우 특보 예측 알고리즘
- Hyeon, Byeongyong (Dept. of Electronics Engineering, Seokeyong University) ;
- Lee, Yong-Hee (National Institute of Meteorological Research/Korea Meteorological Administration) ;
- Seo, Kisung (Dept. of Electronics Engineering, Seokeyong University)
- Received : 2013.11.18
- Accepted : 2014.05.05
- Published : 2014.07.01
This paper introduces a GP (Genetic Programming) based robust technique for the prediction of a heavy rain newsflash. The nature of prediction for precipitation is very complex, irregular and highly fluctuating. Especially, the prediction of heavy precipitation is very difficult. Because not only it depends on various elements, such as location, season, time and geographical features, but also the case data is rare. In order to provide a robust model for precipitation prediction, a nonlinear and symbolic regression method using GP is suggested. The remaining part of the study is to evaluate the performance of prediction for a heavy rain newsflash using a GP based nonlinear regression technique in Korean regions. Analysis of the feature selection is executed and various fitness functions are proposed to improve performances. The KLAPS data of 2006-2010 is used for training and the data of 2011 is adopted for verification.
- C. Park, J. Moon, E. Cha, W. Yun, and Y. Choi, "Recent changes in summer precipitation characteristics over south korea," Journal of the Korean Geographical Society (in Korean), vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 324-336, 2008.
- Y. Kim, D. Choi, D. Chang, H. Yoo, and G. Jin, "An improvement on the criteria of special weather report for heavy rain considering the possibility of rainfall damage and the recent meteorological characteristics," Atmosphere (in Korean), vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 481-495, 2011.
- D. Kim and T. Kwon, "Characteristics of satellite brightness temperature and rainfall intensity over the life cycle of convective cells-case study," Atmosphere (in Korean), vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 273-284, 2011.
- M. G. Bosilovich, J. Chen, F. R. Robertson, and R. F. Adler, "Evaluation of global precipitation in reanalyses," Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 2279-2299, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1175/2008JAMC1921.1
- U. Romatschke and R. A. Houze Jr., "Characteristics of precipitating convective systems in the south asian monsoon," Journal of Hydrometeorology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 3-26, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1175/2010JHM1289.1
- R. S. Schumacher and C. A. Davis, "Ensemble-based forecast uncertainty analysis of diverse heavy rainfall events," Weather and Forecasting, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1103-1122, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1175/2010WAF2222378.1
- Y. Kim and S. Ham, "Heavy rainfall prediction using convective instability index," Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical Science and Flight Operation (in Korean), vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 17-23, 2009.
- T. M. Hamill and J. S. Whitaker, "Probabilistic quantitative precipitation forecasts based on reforecast analogs: theory and application," Monthly Weather Review, vol. 134, no. 11, pp. 3209-3229, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR3237.1
- M. A. Little, P. E. McSharry, and J. W. Taylor "Generalized linear models for site-specific density forecasting of U.K. daily rainfall," Monthly Weather Review, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 1029-1045, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1175/2008MWR2614.1
- Korean Meteorological Society, Introduction to Atmospheric Science, Sigma Press, 2009.
- J. R. Koza, Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection, The MIT Press, 1992.
- W. B. Langdon, R. Poli Foundations of Genetic Programming, Springer, 2002.
- K. Seo and C. Pang, "Genetic operators based on tree structure in genetic programming," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 1110-1116, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2008.14.11.1110
- S. Mariani and M. Casaioli, "Forecast verification: a summary of common approaches and examples of application," FORALPS Technical Report, 5. Universita degli Studi di Trento, Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile e Ambientale, Trento, Italy, p. 60, 2008.