- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Fault Detection and Isolation for the Inverter of BLDC Motor Drive using EKF
EKF를 이용한 BLDC 모터 구동기 인버터의 고장 검출 및 분리
- Kim, SunKi (School of Mechatronics, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Seong, SangMan (School of Mechatronics, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Kang, Kiho (School of Mechatronics, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2013.11.19
- Accepted : 2014.04.20
- Published : 2014.07.01
The inverters used to drive Brushless DC motors (BLDC) include switching devices such as FETs and the faults in FETs cause severe performance degradation in systems where a BLDC acts as actuator. This paper presents a fault detection and isolation method for the FETs of an inverter for BLDC motor control systems, which is based on the EKF (Extended Kalman filter). Firstly, an equivalent circuit model for a BLDC motor plus its inverter system was derived. Secondly, a state-space equation was established, where the on-resistance of the FETs is expressed as a state variable and the EKF equation estimates the on-resistance. If the estimated resistance differs greatly from the known value, it can be asserted that there is a fault on that FET. Thirdly, the local convergence of the established EKF was proved. Finally, through the experiments, the performance of the proposed method was verified. The results show that the on-resistance is estimated close to the value specified in the FET data sheet in normal operation, whereas the estimated resistance is a much larger value than the normal one in case an FET fault occurs. Therefore, it is confirmed that the proposed fault detection and isolation method works appropriately in real systems.
Supported by : 한국기술교육대학교
- J. J. Lee, H. C. Lee, and J. Y. J, "Model-based fault detection and isolation for electric power steering system," KSAE, pp. 2207-2208, 2007.
- J. J. Delhotal, "Observer-based Fault Detection and Isolation for Motor Drive Inverters," pp. 9-31, 2011.
- J. Klima, "Analytical investigation of an induction motor drive under inverter fault mode operations," IEE Proceedings-Electric Power Applications, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 255-262, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20030122
- K. H. Kim and D. K. Bae, "Fault diagnosis based on real-time data of the inverter system for BLDCM drive," Journal of Korean Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers (in Korean), vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 29-37, 1998.
- S. H. Kim, DC, AC, BLDC Motor Control (in Korean), BOGDOO, pp. 426-439, 2011.
- R. Krishnan, Permanent Magnet Synchronous and Brushless DC Motor Drives, CRC Press, pp. 457-463, 2009.
- J. W. Dixon, "Simplified sensorless control for BLDC motor, using DSP technology," EVS19, pp. 1435-1436, 2002.
- D. J. Simon, Optimal State Estimation - Kalman, H infinity, and Nonlinear Approaches, John & Wiley, 2006.
- A. Bazzi, A. Dominguez-Garcia, and P. Krein, "A method for impact assessment of faults on the performance of Field-oriented control drives: A first step to reliability modeling," in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2010 Twenty-Fifth Annual IEEE, pp. 256-263, Feb. 2010.
- D. Torres, Sensorless BLDC Control with Back-EMF Filtering Using a Majority Function, Microchip, AN1160, pp. 2-4, 2009.
- R. Peuget, S. Courtine, and J. P. Rognon, "Fault detection and isolation on a PWM inverter by knowledge-based model," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1318-1326, 1998 https://doi.org/10.1109/28.739017
- Y. S. Jeong, S. K. Sul, S. Schulz, and N. Patel, "Fault detection and fault-tolerant control of interior permanent-magnet motor drive system for electric vehicle," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 46-51, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.840947
- S. G. Ahn, B. G. Park, R. Y. Kim, and D. S. Hyun, "Fault diagnosis scheme for open-phase fault of permanent magnet synchronous motor drive using extended Kalman filter," The Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics (in Korean), vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 191-198, 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2011.16.2.191
- K. Reif, S. Gunther, E. Yaz, and R. Unbehauen, "Stochastic stability of the discrete time extended kalman filter," IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 714-728, Apr. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/9.754809