- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Rock Slope Stability and Factor Analysis with a Consideration of a Damaged Zone
손상대를 고려한 암반사면 안정성 평가 및 인자분석
- Received : 2014.04.18
- Accepted : 2014.06.11
- Published : 2014.06.30
After excavation or blasting, rock properties within an excavation damaged zone can be perpetually weakened on account of stress redistribution or blasting impact. In the present study, the excavation damaged zone is applied to a rock slope. The objective of this research is to compare the mechanical stability of the rock slope depending on the presence of the damaged zone using 2-dimensional modeling and analyze factors affecting factor-of-safety. From the modeling, it was founded that the mechanical stability of the rock slope is significantly dependent on the presence of the damaged zone. In particular, factor-of-safety with a consideration of the damaged zone decreased by approximately 49.4% in comparison with no damaged zone. Factor analysis by fractional factorial design was carried out on factor-of-safety. It showed that the key parameters affecting factor-of-safety are angle of the slope, cohesion, internal friction angle and height.
Damaged Zone;Mechanical Stability;Factor-of-safety;Design of Experiment;Fractional Factorial Design
- Yang, H.S., T.W. Ha, W.B. Kim, M.J. Choi, J.H. Lee, 2005, Development of a rock slope analysis software considering ground water level, Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Vol. 15, No. 3, 213-222.
- Zhou, J., X. Yang, H. Xing, Y. Xue, G. He, 2014, Assessment of the excavation-damaged zone in a tall rock slope using acoustic testing method, Geotech. Geol. Eng., Technical note, Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- Lee, C.S., S. Kwon, J.W. Choi, S. Jeon, 2011, An estimation of the excavation damaged zone at the KAERI Underground Research Tunnel, Tunnel & Underground Space, Vol. 21, No. 5, 359-369.
- Lim, H.U., C.H. Kim, H.J. Baek, 2001, Stability analysis of rock slope in limestone mine by numerical analysis, Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Vol. 11, No. 3, 270-278.
- Lu, W.B., Y.G. Hu, J.H. Yang, M. Chen, P. Yan, 2013, Spatial distribution of excavation induced damage zone of high rock slope, International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, 64, 181-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2013.08.030
- Malmgren, L., D. Saiang, 2005, Excavation damaged zone at Kiirunavaara Mine, Journal of Applied Geophysics.
- Malmgren, L., D. Saiang, J. Toyra, A. Bodare, 2007, The excavation disturbed zone (EDZ) at Kiirunavaara Mine, Sweden-by seismic measurements, Journal of Applied Geophysics 61, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jappgeo.2006.04.004
- Martino, J.B., N.A. Chandler, 2004, Excavatio-induced damage studies at the Underground Research Laboratory, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 41, 1413-1426. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2004.09.010
- Montgomery, D.C., 1991, Design and analysis of experiments-3rd edition, 335-378.
- Park, S.H., 2010, Enforcement method of design of experiment, 2p.
- Park, S.H., J.W. Kim, 2011, Modern design of experiment using MINITAB, Minyoung Publisher, 15p, 324p.
- Saiang, D., 2011, Blast-induced damaged zone studies, Final report to Trafikverket, Lulea university of technology, Sweden.
- Saiang, D., E. Nordlund, 2008, Numerical study of the mechanical behavior of the damaged rock mass around an underground excavation, Appendix D: 2008 Massmin power point presentation, Lulea university of technology, Sweden.
- Sato, T., T. Kikuchi, K. Sugihara, 2000, In situ experiments on an excavation disturbed zone induced by mechanical excavation in Neogen sedimentary rock at Tono Mine, Central Japan, Engineering Geology 56(1-2), 97-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7952(99)00136-2
- Sheng, Q., Z.Q. Yue, C.F. Lee, L.G. Tham, H. Zhou, 2002, Estimating the excavation disturbed zone in the permanent shiplock slopes of the Three Gorges Project, China, Int. Journal Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 39(2002), 165-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00015-1
- Ericsson, L.O., P. Brinkhoff, G. Gustafson, S. Kvartsberg, 2009, Hydraulic features of the excavation disturbed zone-laboratory investigations of samples taken from the Q-and S-tunnel at Aspo HRL, SKB Report R-09-45.
- Fisher, R.A., 1935, The design of experiments, Oxford, England: Oliver & Boyd., 251p.
- Goodman, R.E., D.S. Kieffer, 2000, Behavior of rock slope, Journal Geotech Geoenviron Eng., ASCE 2000; 126(8), 675-684. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2000)126:8(675)
- Itasca Consulting Group Inc., 2002, FLAC, FISH in FLAC, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
- Itasca Consulting Group Inc., 2011, FLAC Version 7.0, Factor of Safety, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
- Kang, S.S., Atsuo Hirata, Yuzo Obara, Naoyuki Haraguchi, 2006, Evaluation of rock damage zone using seismic logging method, Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Vol. 16, No. 1, 50-57.
- Kim, H.C., 2007, Introduction to design of experiment, Hanol Publisher, 1-2, 192-196, 168p
- Kim, J.S., S. Kwon, 2014, Sensitivity analysis of tunnel stability with a consideration of an excavation damaged zone, Journal of Korean Tunnelling Underground Space Association, Vol. 16, No. 1, 91-103. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2014.16.1.091
- Kim, J.S., S. Kwon, W.J. Cho, 2009, An assessment of the excavation damaged zon in the KAERI Underound Research Tunnel, Journal of Korean Society of Explosives & Blasting Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 1, 21-31.
- Kown, S., 2003, Thermo-mechanical sensitivity analysis of repository design parameters using Korean geological conditions, KAERI/TR-2360/2003
- Kwon, S., W.J. Cho, 2008, Investigation of the development of the effect of an excavation damaged zone at KAERI Underground Research Tunnel, KAERI/TR-3533/2008.
- Lai, X., M. Cai, F. Ren, M. Xie, T. Esaki, 2006, Assessment of rock mass characteristics and the excavation disturbed zone in the Lingxin Coal Mine beneath the Xitian River, China, International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, 43, 572-581. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2005.10.005
- Lee, C.S., 2012, Characterization of thermal-mechanical behavior of rock mass in the excavation damaged zone at KURT, Ph.D. Thesis of Seoul national university, 78-79.
- Backblom, G., C.D. Martin, 1999, Recent experiments in hard rocks to study the excavation response: Implication for the performance of a nuclear waste geological repository, Tunnelling and underground space technology, Vol. 14, 377-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(99)00053-X
- Bauer, C., F. Hommand, 1996, Disturbed zones assessment with permeability measurements in the ZEDEX tunnel, Proceedings of the excavation disturbed zone workshop, Designing the excavation disturbed zone for a nuclear waste repository in hard rock, Manitoba, Canada.
- Bossart, P., P.M. Meier, A. Moeri, T. Trick, J. Mayor, 2002, Geological and hydraulic characterization of the excavation disturbed zone in the opalinus clay of the Mont Terri Rock Laboratory, Engineering Geology, 66, 19-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7952(01)00140-5
- Cai, M., P.K. Kaiser, 2005, Assessment of excavation damaged zone using a micromechanics model, Tunnelling and underground space technology, 301-310.
- Choi, B.H., D.W. Ryu, C. Sunwoo, 2006, A study on the improvement of surface blasting method in Pasir Coal Mine, Journal of Korean Society of Explosives & Blasting Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 1, 57-62.
- Collins, D.S., R.P. Young, 2003, Interpreting the amount and orientation of microcracks in the excavation damaged zone using velocity, modulus and crack density values, The 2002 international EDZ workshop, Ontario, Canada, Atomic Emergy of Canada Limited.
- Deng, J.H., C.F. Lee, X.R. Ge, 2001, Characterization of the disturbed zone in a large rock excavation for the Three Gorges Project, Can. Geotech. J. 38: 95-106.
- Emsley, S., O. Olsson, L. Stenberg, H.J. Alheid, S. Falls, 1997, A study of damage and disturbance from tunnel excavation by blasting and tunnel boring, ZEDEX, SKB(Swedish Nuclear Fuel and Waste Management Co.) Technical report 97-30, 198p.
Supported by : 인하대학교