- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Acute Toxicity Evaluation to Daphnia magna of Disease Resistant(OsCK1) Rice
병저항성 GM(OsCK1)벼의 물벼룩(Daphnia magna)에 대한 급성독성 평가
- Received : 2014.03.31
- Accepted : 2014.05.01
- Published : 2014.06.30
BACKGROUND: The disease resistant (OsCK1) rice was generated by inserting choline kinase (CK1) and phosphinothricin acetyltransferase (PAT) genes isolated from Oryza sativa and Streptomyces hygroscopicus into the genome of the rice, Nakdongbyeo. With the potential problems of safeties, the evaluations on non-target organisms are essentially required for the environmental risk assessment of genetically modified (GM) crops. In the present study, we conducted the evaluation of acute toxicity on Daphnia magna that commonly used as a model organism in ecotoxicological studies for non-target organism evaluation. METHODS AND RESULTS: Effect of acute toxicity to Daphnia magna by each concentration were investigated in the disease resistant (OsCK1) rice and non-genetically modified (non-GM) rice, Nakdongbyeo, as concentration (0, 1,000, 1,800, 3,240, 5,830, 10,500 and 20,000 mg/L). The OsCK1 rice used for the test was confirmed to express the OsCK1/PAT gene by the PCR(Polymerase chain reaction) and western blot analysis. Feeding test showed that no significant differences in cumulative immobility and abnormal response of Daphnia magna fed on OsCK1 rice or non-GM rice. The 48hr-
Daphnia magna;Disease resistant transgenic rice;Risk assessment
- Owen, M.D.K., 2000. Current use of transgenic herbicide resistant soybean and corn in the USA, Crop Prot. 19, 765-771. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-2194(00)00102-2
- Oh, S.D., Lee, K.J., Park, S.Y., Sohn, S.I., Ryu, T.H., Kim, J.K., Kim, J.S., Ahn, H.I., Ha, S.H., Park, J.S., Ahn, B.O., Cho, H.S., Suh, S.J., 2012c. Molecular biological analysis of Carotenoid-Biofortified rice and its effect on Daphnia magna feeding. Korean J. Intl. Agric. 24, 477-484.
- Oh, S.D., Lee, K.J., Park, S.Y., Lee, D.Y., Sohn, S.I., Kim, M.Y., Ryu, T.H., 2013. Responses of Misgurnus anguillicaudatus and Cyprinus carpio fed on Disease Resistant(OsCK1) rice variety. Korean J. Environ Agric. 32, 231-239. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.3.231
- Oh, S.K., Baek, K.H., Seong, E.S., Joung, Y.H., Choi, G.J., Park, J.M., Cho, H.S., Kim, E.A., Lee, S., Choi, D.I., 2010. CaMsrB2, pepper methionine sulfoxide reductase B2, is a novel defense regulator against oxidative stress and pathogen attack. Plant Physiol. 154, 245-261. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.110.162339
- Shin, K.S., Lee, S.M., Lim, S.H., Woo, H.J., Cho, H.S., Lee, K.R., Lee, M.C., Kweon, S.J., Suh, S.C., 2009. Molecular biological characteristics and analysis using the specific markers of leaf folder-resistant GM rice. Plant Biotechnol. 36, 115-123. https://doi.org/10.5010/JPB.2009.36.2.115
- Thomas, B., Traavik, T., Primicerio, R., 2010. Demographic responses of Daphnia magna fed transgenic Bt-maize. Ecotoxicology 19, 419-430. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10646-009-0427-x
- Toriyama, K., Arimotoa, Y., Uchimiyaa, H., Hinata, K., 1988. Transgenic rice plants after direct gene transfer into protoplasts. Nat. Biotechnol. 6, 1072-1074. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt0988-1072
- Oh, S.D., Lee, K.J., Park, S.Y., Ryu, T.H., Kim, J.K., Sohn, S.I., Kim, J.S., Ha, S.H., Park, J.S., Ahn, B.O., Cho, H.S., Suh, S.J., 2012b. Effect on insecticide susceptibility of Lissorhoptrus oryzophilus fed on Carotenoid-Biofortified rice variety. Korean J. Environ Agric. 31, 286-292. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2012.31.3.286
- Oh, S.D., Shin, H.C., Sohn, S.I., Lee, K.J., Kim, H.J., Ryu, T.H., Lee, J.Y., Park, B.S., Kweon, S.J., Suh, S.C., Park, J.S., 2011a. Evaluation and assessment of biosafety for Bt-transgenic rice : Responses of Daphnia magna fed on Bt-transgenic rice variety, J. Appl. Biol. Chem. 54, 296-302. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2011.048
- Oh, S.D., Lee, D.Y., Sohn, S.I., Lee, K.J., Ryu, T.H., Lee, J.Y., Park, B.S., Kweon, S.J., Suh, S.C., Park, J.S.., 2011b. Risk assessment and evaluation of Bt-transgenic rice : Responses of Misgurnus anguillicaudatus and Cyprinus carpio fed on Bt-transgenic rice variety, Korean J. Intl. Agri. 23, 570-577.
- Oh, S.D., Lee, K.J., Sohn, S.I., Kwon, W.J., Kim, J.S., Lee, J.Y., Park, B.S., Kwon, S.J., Suh, S.C., Ryu, T.H., Park, J.S., Ahn, B.O., Cho, H.S., Suh, S.J., 2012a. Effect on insecticide susceptibility of Lissorhoptrus oryzophilus fed on Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt)-Transgenic rice variety. Korean J. Intl. Agric. 24, 247-253.
- Kim, K.Y., Kim, K.R., Lee, S.I., 2010a. Acute toxicity test for heavy metals using water fleas, J Korean Wood Sci Technol 18, 37-47.
- Ha, S.H., Liang, Y.S., Jung, H.R., Ahn, M.J., Suh, S.C., Kweon, S.J., Kim, D.H., Kim, Y.M., Kim, J.K., 2010. Application of two bicistronic systems involving 2A and IRES sequences to the biosynthesis of carotenoids in rice endosperm. Plant Biotechnol. J. 8, 928-938. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-7652.2010.00543.x
- James, C., 2013. The global status of commercialized biotech/GM crops: 2013. ISAAA Brief No. 46. ISAAA: Ithaca, NY.
- Jung, S., Lee, Y., YANG, K., Lee, S.B., Jang, S.M., Ha, S.B., BACK, K., 2004. Dual targeting of Myxococcus xanthus protoporphyrinogen oxidase into chloroplasts and mitochondria and high level oxyfluorfen resistance, Plant Cell Environ. 27, 1436-1446. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3040.2004.01247.x
- Kim, H.J., Lee, S.M., Kim, J.K., Ryu, T.H., Suh, S.C., Cho, H.S., 2010b. Expression of PAT and NPT II proteins during the developmental stages of a genetically modified pepper developed in Korea, Food Sci. Biotechnol. 22, 195-200.
- Kim, H.J., Lee, S.M., Kim, J.K., Ryu, T.H., Suh, S.C., Cho, H.S., 2013. Quantification of mCry1Ac1 and PAT Proteins over time in genetically modified pepper developed in Korea, Food Chem. 58, 10906-10910.
- Lee, J.S., Suh, S.C., Lee, Y.H., Kim, Y.H., Heo, S.K., 2007. OsCK1 gene from Oryza sativa, expression vector comprising the gene, transformants transformed with the vector and production method of the transformants. Korean Patent No. 100682129.
- Brookes, G., Barfoot, P., 2006. Global impact of biotech crops: Socio-economic and environmental effects in the first ten years of commercial use. AgBioForum 9, 139-151.
- De Vries, J., Wackernagel, W., 2005. Microbial horizontal gene transfer and the DNA release from transgenic crop plants. Plant and Soil 266, 91-104. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-005-4783-x
Grant : Research Program for Agricultural Science & Technology Development
Supported by : National Academy of Agricultural Science