- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Monitoring of Pesticide Residues and Risk Assessment in Some Fruits on the Market in Incheon, Korea
인천지역 유통 과일 중 잔류농약 모니터링 및 위해성 평가
- Chung, Se Jin (Department of Agricultural Products Inspection, Incheon Institute of Public Health and Environment Research) ;
- Kim, Hye Young (Department of Agricultural Products Inspection, Incheon Institute of Public Health and Environment Research) ;
- Kim, Ji Hyeung (Department of Agricultural Products Inspection, Incheon Institute of Public Health and Environment Research) ;
- Yeom, Mi Suk (Department of Agricultural Products Inspection, Incheon Institute of Public Health and Environment Research) ;
- Cho, Joong Hee (Department of Agricultural Products Inspection, Incheon Institute of Public Health and Environment Research) ;
- Lee, Soo Yeon (Department of Agricultural Products Inspection, Incheon Institute of Public Health and Environment Research)
- 정세진 (인천광역시 보건환경연구원 농산물검사소) ;
- 김혜영 (인천광역시 보건환경연구원 농산물검사소) ;
- 김지형 (인천광역시 보건환경연구원 농산물검사소) ;
- 염미숙 (인천광역시 보건환경연구원 농산물검사소) ;
- 조중희 (인천광역시 보건환경연구원 농산물검사소) ;
- 이수연 (인천광역시 보건환경연구원 농산물검사소)
- Received : 2014.01.14
- Accepted : 2014.04.16
- Published : 2014.06.30
BACKGROUND: This study was conducted to investigate the levels of pesticide residues in fruits and to assess their risk to human health. METHODS AND RESULTS: Monitoring of 215 samples of fruits collected from local markets in incheon during 2013 was performed. 259 pesticides were analyzed by multi-residue method and Quick, Easy, Cheap, Effective, Rugged, and safe/Mass/Mass(QuEChERS/MS/MS) method using Gas Chromatography-Electron Capture Detector/Nitrogen Phosphorus Detector(GC-ECD/NPD), GC-MS, LC(Liquid Chromatography-Mass/Mass(LC-MS/MS) and High Performance Liquid Chromatography-Photodiode Array/Fluorescence Detector(HPLC-PDA/FLD). In 56.3% of the samples detected pesticide residues and were not found to exceed Maximum Residue Limits(MRL). The highest detected samples were found in citrus fruits(83.9%). Among the detected compounds, carbendazim(13.1%), imazalil (11.7%), thiabendazole(10.7%) and fludioxonil(9.8%) were frequently found in fruits. A risk assessment of pesticide residues in fruits was performed by calculating Estimated Daily Intake(EDI) and Acceptable Daily Intake(ADI). Also, we were evaluated removal efficiency of pesticide residues by washing and peeling. The removal efficiency of pesticide residues in citrus and tropical fruits by peeling processes were 91.6%. After the washing process, the removal rates were 43.1%(Cherry, Grape, Blueberry). CONCLUSION: The level of pesticide residues in fruits was within the MRL. The range of %ADI values was from 0.00011 to 0.98795%. The process of washing or peeling reduces the level of pesticide residues. The results of this research concluded that the detected pesticides are not harmful to human being.
Fruits;Incheon city;Monitoring;Pesticide residues;Risk assessment;%ADI
- Yang, Y.S., Seo, J.M., Kim, J.P., Oh, M.S., Chung, J.K., Kim, E.S., 2006, A survey on pesticide residues of imported agricultural products circulated in Gwangju. J. Food Hyg. Safety 21(2), 52-59.
- You, Y.H., Lee, Y.S., Kwon, H.J., 2011, Reduction factors of pesticides with different physicochemical properties under washing and cooking conditions. Korean J. Food Sci. Techlol. 43, 537-543. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.5.537
- Zhouk, Raffoul, J.J., 2012, Potential anticancer properties of grape antioxidants. J. Oncol. 803294, 1-8.
- Lee, M.H., Kim, M.S., Shin, H.G., Sohn, H.Y., 2011, Evaluation of antimicrobial, antioxidant, and antithrombin activity of domestic fruit and vegetable juice. Korean J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 39, 146-152.
- Ko, B.S., Jeon, T.H., Jung, K.S., Lee, S.K., 1996, Removal effects of oranic-phosphorus pesticide residue in lettuce by washing method, Korean J. Rural Med. 21, 159-171.
- Koh, Y.J., Lee, J.G., Hur, J.S., Park, D.M., Jung, S.J., Yu, Y.,M., 2003, Optimum spray program of preventive fungicides for the control of postharvest fruit rots of Kiwifruit, Res, Plant Dis. 9, 205-208. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2003.9.4.205
- Kwon, O.K., Hang, S.M., Choi, D.D., Park, C.W., Song, B.H., Ryu, G.H., Oh, B.Y., 2001, Survey on pesticide usage for the development of pesticide use indicator in fruit vegetable, Korean J. pesticide sci. 5, 40-44.
- Lee, J.B., Moon, B.C., Jin, Y.D., Kwon, H.Y., Im, G.J., Hong, M.K., Kang, K.Y., 2011, Trend Analysis of Hazard Substances in/on Agricultural Products Reported. Korean J. pesticide sci. 15, 434-440
- Lee, M.G., Lee, S.R., 1997. Reduction fector and risk assessment of organophosphoros pesticide in Korea food, Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 29, 240-248.
- Kruve, A., Lamos, L., Kirillova, J., Heodes, K., 2007. Pesticide residues in commercially available orange and evaluation of potential washing methods. Proc. Estonian Acad. Sci. Chem. 56, 3, 134-141.
- Ridgway, R.L., Tinney, J.C., MacGregor, T.J., Starler, N.J., 1978, Pesticide use in agriculture. Environ. Health Perspect. 27, 103-112. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.7827103
- Lehotay, S.J., de Kok, A., Hiemstra, M., Van, B.P., 2005. Validation of a fast and easy method for the determination of residues from 229 resticides in fruits and vegetables using gas and liguid chromatographu and mass spectromrtric detection. J. AOAC Int. 88, 595-614.
- Kim, Y.H., Lee, S.Y., Kim, C.G., Choi, E.J., Jo, N.G., Lee, J. M., Kim, Y.H., 2013, A survey on the pesticide residues and risk assessment for agricultural products on the markets in Incheon area from 2010 to 2012. Korean J Environ Agric. 32, 61-69 https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.1.61
- Han, S.H., Park, S.K., Kim, O.H., Choi, Y.H., Seoung, H.J., Lee, Y.J., Jung, J.K., Kim, Y.H., Yu, I.S., Kim, Y.K., Han, K.Y., Chae, Y.Z., 2012. Monitoring of pesticide residues in commercial agricultural products in the northern area of Seoul, Korean J. pesticide sci. 16, 109-120. https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2012.16.2.109
- Jang, M.R., Moon, H.K., Kim, T.R., Yuk, D.H., Kim, J.H., Park, S.G., 2010. Dietary risk assessment for pesticide residues of vesgetales in Seoul, Korea. Korean. J. Nutr. 43, 404-412. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.4.404
- Kim, G.H., Lee, Y.S., Jung, J.S., Hur, J.,S., Koh, Y., F., 2013, Optimal spray time, interval and number of preventive fungicides for the cControl of fruit rots of green and gold Kiwifruit cultivar. Res, Plant Dis. 19, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2013.19.1.001
- Darby, W.J., 1964. Pesticides: a contribution to agriculture and nutrition. Am. J. Public Health Nations Health. 54, 18-23 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.54.Suppl_1.18
- Do, Y.S., Kim, J.B., Kang, S.H., Kim, N.Y., Um, M.N., Park, Y.B., Oh, M.S., Yoon, M.H., 2012, Risk assessment of pesticide residues in fruits collected in Gyeonggi-do, Korea from 2006 to 2010. Korean J. pesticide sci. 16, 85-97. https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2012.16.2.085
- Ahn, J.W., Jeon, Y.H., Hwang, J.I., Kim, H.Y., Kim, J.H., Chung, D.H., Kim, J.E., 2012. Monitoring of pesticide residues and risk assessment for fruit vegetables and root vegetables of environment-friendly certified and general agricultural products, Korean J. Environ Agric. 31, 164-169. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2012.31.2.164
- Bao, M.J., Shen, J., Jia, Y.L., Li, F.F., Ma, W.J., Shen, H.J., Shen, L.L., Lin, X.X., Zhang, L.H., Dong, X.W., Xie, Y.C., Zhao, Y.Q., Xie, Q.M., 2013, Apple polyphenol protects against cigarette smoke-induced acute lung injury. Nutrition 29, 235 - 243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2012.04.008
- Cho, Y.S., Kang, J.B., Kim, Y.H., Jeong, J.A., Huh, J.W., Lee, S.H., Lim, Y.S., Bae, H.J., Kang, H.G., Lee, J.H., Jung, E.S., Lee, B.H., Park, Y.B., Lee, J.B., 2012, A survey on pesticide residues of imported fruits circulated in Gyeonggido. Korean J. pesticide sci. 16, 195-201. https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2012.16.3.195
- Choi, S.J., Kim, E.J., Lee, J.I., Cho, I.S., Park, W.H., Hwang, I.S., Kim, M.S., Kim, G.H., 2013. Determination of post-harvest fungicide in citrus fFruits using LC-MS, Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 45, 409-415. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.4.409
- Monitoring and Risk Assessment of Pesticide Residues in Agricultural Products for Raw Juice in Gyeonggi-Do, Korea vol.33, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2018.33.5.339