- Volume 6 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Seismic response of active or semi active control for irregular buildings based on eigenvalues modification
- Pnevmatikos, Nikos G. (Department o Civil Engineering, Surveying and Geoinformatics, Technological Educational Institution of Athens) ;
- Hatzigeorgiou, George D. (Hellenic Open University, Director of Post-Graduate Program: Engineering Project Management)
- Received : 2013.10.17
- Accepted : 2014.02.04
- Published : 2014.06.25
A reduction of the response of irregular structures subjected to earthquake excitation by control devices equipped by suitable control algorithm is proposed in this paper. The control algorithm, which is used, is the pole placement one. A requirement of successful application of pole placement algorithm is a definition-selection of suitable poles (eigen-values) of controlled irregular structures. Based on these poles, the required action is calculated and applied to the irregular structure by means of control devices. The selection of poles of controlled irregular structure, is a critical issue for the success of the algorithm. The calculation of suitable poles of controlled irregular structure is proposed herein by the following procedure: a fictitious symmetrical structure is considered from the irregular structure, adding vertical elements, such as columns or shear walls, at any location where is necessary. Then, the eigen-values of symmetrical structure are calculated, and are forced to be the poles of irregular controlled structure. Based on these poles and additional damping, the new poles of the controlled irregular structure are calculated. By pole placement algorithm, the feedback matrix is obtained. Using this feedback matrix, control forces are calculated at any time during the earthquake, and are applied to the irregular structure by the control devices. This procedure results in making the controlled irregular structure to behave like a symmetrical one. This control strategy can be applied to one storey or to multi-storey irregular buildings. Furthermore, the numerical results were shown that with small amount of control force, a sufficient reduction of the response of irregular buildings is achieved.
structural control;pole placement;irregular structures;earthquake engineering
- Abdel-Rohman, M. and Leipholz, H.H. (1978), "Structural control by pole assignment method", ASCE J. Eng. Mech., 104, 1157-1175.
- Aguirre, J.J., Almazan, J.L. and Paul, C.J. (2013), "Optimal control of linear and nonlinear asymmetric structures by means of passive energy dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(3), 377-395. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2211
- Almaz'an, J.L. and De la Llera, J.C. (2009), "Torsional balance as new design criterion for asymmetric structures with energy dissipation devices", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 38(12), 1421-1440. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.909
- Stathopoulos, K.G. and Anagnostopoulos, S.A. (2004), "Earthquake induced inelastic torsion in asymmetric multistory buildings", 13th World Conference in Earthquake Engineering, Paper No. 558, Vancouver, Canada, August.
- Syrmakezis, C.A. (2006), "Seismic protection of historical structures and monuments", Struct. Control Health Monitor., 13(6), 958-979. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.89
- Takewaki, I., Yoshitomi, S., Uetani, K. and Tsuji, M. (1999), "Non-monotonic optimal damper placement via steepest direction search", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28(6), 655-670. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199906)28:6<655::AID-EQE833>3.0.CO;2-T
- Tena-Colunga, A. and Gomez-Soberon, L. (2002), "Torsional response of base-isolated structures due to asymmetries in the superstructure", Eng. Struct., 24(12), 1587-1599. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00102-5
- Tena-Colunga, A. and Jose Luis Escamilla-Cruz. (2007), "Torsional amplifications in asymmetric baseisolated structures", Eng. Struct., 29(2), 237-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.03.036
- Utku, S. (1998), Theory of adaptive structures: Incorporative intelligent into engineering products, CRC press, USA.
- Vial, I.J., De la Llera, J.C., Almazan, J.L. and Caballos, V. (2006), "Torsional balance of plan asymmetric structures with frictional dampers: experimental results", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(15), 1875-1898. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.610
- Wang, P.C., Kozin, F. and Amini, F. (1983), "Vibration control of tall buildings", Eng. Struct., 5(4), 282-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(83)90007-X
- Wong, K.K.F. and Harris, J.L. (2013), "Seismic fragility and cost analyses of actively controlled structures", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 22, 569-583. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.705
- Wu, B., Ou, J.P. and Soong, T.T. (1997), "Optimal placement of energy dissipation devices for threedimensional structures", Eng. Struct., 19(2), 113-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(96)00034-X
- Yoshida, O., Dyke, J.S., Giacosa, M.L. and Truman, Z.K. (2003), "Experimental verification of torsional response control of asymmetric buildings using MR dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 32(13), 2085-2105. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.316
- Martin, R.C. and Soong, T.T. (1976), "Modal control of multistory structures"ASCE, Journal of engineering mechanics.102, 613- 623.
- Li, C., Yu, Z., Xiong, X. and Wang, C. (2010), "Active multiple-tuned mass dampers for asymmetric structures considering soil-structure interaction",Structural Control and Health Monitoring, 17(4),452-472.
- Lin, C.C., Chang, C.C. and Wang, J.F. (2010), "Activecontrolofirregularbuildingsconsideringsoil-structure interactioneffects", Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 30(3), 98-09. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2009.09.005
- Lin, W.H. and Chopra, A.K. (2001), "Understanding and predicting effects of supplemental damping on seismic response of asymmetric one-storey system" Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics,30 (10), 1475-1494. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.73
- Meirovotch, L. (1990), Dynamics and control of structures, John Willey & Sons,New York, NY, USA.
- Ogata, K. (1997), Modern control engineering. 3rd edition,Prentice Hall International Inc., New Jersey, NJ, USA.
- Pnevmatikos, G.N. and Gantes, J.C. (2010),"Control strategy for mitigating the response of structures subjected to earthquake actions", Engineering Structures,32(11), 3616-3628. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.08.006
- Pnevmatikos, G.N. and Gantes, J.C. (2011), "The influence of time delay and saturation capacity in control of structures under seismic excitations" Smart Structures and systems, An International Journal, 8( 5), 479-490.
- Preumont, A. (2002), Vibration control of active structures. An introduction. 2nd edition, Kluwer academic publishers.
- Roberts, M.W., Barroso, L.R. and Lutes, L.D. (2002), "GNUFEM: A Nonlinear Finite Element Toolbox for Structural Control, Proceedings of Third World Conference on Structural Control 3rd WCSC, Como, Italy, April.
- Sage A.P. and White C.C. (1977), Optimum systems control. 2nd edition, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs New Jersey, NJ, USA.
- Singh, M.P. and Moreschi, L.M. (2002), "Optimal placement of dampers for passive response control", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(4), 955-976. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.132
- Soong, T.T. (1990). Active Structural Control: Theory and Practice. London/New York: Longman Scientific &Technical/Wiley New York, USA.
- Kobori, T. (2003), "Past, present and future in seismic response control in civil engineering structures", Proceeding of 3rd World Conf. on Structural Control, New York, USA, June.
- Kautsky, J. and Nichols, N.K. (1985), "Robust Pole Assignment in Linear State Feedback", Int. J. Control, 41(5), 1129-1155. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020718508961188
- Kim, H. and Adeli, H. (2005), "Hybrid control of irregular steel high-rise building structures under seismic excitations", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 63(12), 1757-1774. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1336
- Kim, J. and Bang, S. (2002), "Optimum distribution of added viscoelastic dampers for mitigation of torsional responses of plan-wise asymmetric structures", Eng. Struct., 24(10), 1257-1269. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00046-9
- Kobori, T., Koshika, N., Yamada, N. and Ikeda, Y. (1991), "Seismic response controlled structure with active mass driver system. Part1: Design", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 20(2), 133-139. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290200204
- Kwakernaak, H. and Sivan, R. (1972), Linear optimal control systems, Wiley, New York, NY, USA.
- Kyrkos, T.M. and Anagnostopoulos, S.A. (2011), "An assessment of code designed, torsionally stiff, asymmetric steel buildings under strong earthquake excitations", Earthq. Struct., 2(2).
- Lavan, O. and Levy, R. (2010), "Performance based optimal seismic retrofitting of yielding plane frames using added viscous damping", Earthq. Struct., 1(3), 307-326 https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.3.307
- Lavan, O. and Daniel, Y. (2013), "Full resources utilization seismic design of irregular structures using multiple tuned mass dampers", Struct. Multidisc. Optimiz., 48(3), 517-532. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-013-0913-x
- Lavan, O. and Levy, R. (2006), "Optimal peripheral drift control of 3D irregular framed structures using supplemental viscous dampers", J. Earthq. Eng., 10(6), 903-923.
- Lavan, O. and Levy, R. (2009), "Simple iterative use of Lyapunov's solution for the linear optimal seismic design of passive devices in framed buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 13(5), 650-666. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460902837736
- Li, C., Li, J. and Qu, Y. (2010), "An optimum design methodology of active tuned mass damper for asymmetric structures", Mech. Syst. Signal Proc., 24, 746-765. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2009.09.011
- Li, C. and Qu, W. (2006), "Optimum properties of multiple tuned mass dampers for reduction oftranslational and torsional response of structures subject to groundacceleration", Eng. Struct., 28, 472-494. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.09.003
- Blachowski, B. (2007), "Model Based Predictive Control for Guyed Mast Vibration", J. Theoretical Appl. Mech., 45(2), 405-423.
- Attard, T.L. and Dansby, R.E. (2008), "Evolutionary control of damaged systems using a rehabilitative algorithm", Proceedings of Tenth Pan American Congress of Applied Mechanics PACAM X, Grand Oasis Resort, Cancun, Mexico, January.
- Barroso, L.R. and Smith, H.A. (1999), Performance evaluation of vibration controlled of steel structures under seismic loading, John A. Blume Earthquake engineering center, Report No 133, June.
- Battaini, M., Casciati, F. and Faravelli, L. (1998), "Fuzzy control of structural vibration. An active mass system driven by a fuzzy controller", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 27(11), 1267-1276. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(1998110)27:11<1267::AID-EQE782>3.0.CO;2-D
- Bogacki, P. and Shampine, L. (1989), "A 3(2) pair of Runge-Kutta formulas", Appl. Math. Letters, 2(4), 321-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0893-9659(89)90079-7
- Brogan, W.L. (1974), "Application of determinant identity to pole-Assignment and observer problems", IEEE Transact. Auto. Control, 19, 689-692.
- Date, V.A. and Jangid, R.S. (2001), "Seismic Response of Torsionally CoupledStructures with Active Control Device", Journal of Structural Control, 8(1), 5-15.
- Desu, N.B., Deb, S.K. and Dutta, A. (2006), "Coupled tuned mass dampers for control of coupled vibrations in asymmetric buildings", Structural Control and Health Monitoring,13(5),897-916 https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.64
- Fu, C. (2011), "Application of torsional tuned liquid column gas damper for plan-asymmetric buildings", Structural Control and Health Monitoring, 18(5),492-509. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.380
- Gavin, H. and Alhan, C. (2002), "Control of torsionally asymmetric structures", Proceedings of the American Control Conference, Anchorage, AK, 357.
- Goel, R.K. (1998), "Effects of supplemental viscous damping on seismic response of asymmetric-plan systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 27(2), 125-141. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199802)27:2<125::AID-EQE720>3.0.CO;2-6
- Goel, R.K. (2000), "Seismic behaviour of asymmetric buildings withsupplemental damping", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 29(4), 461-480. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(200004)29:4<461::AID-EQE917>3.0.CO;2-6
- Housner, G.W., Bergman, L.A., Caughey, T.K., Chassiakos, A.G., Claus, R.O., Masri, S.F., Skelton, R.E., Soong, T.T., Spencer, Jr., B.F. and Yao, J.T.P. (1997), "Structural control: Past, present and future", J. Eng. Mech., 123, 897-971. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:9(897)
- Technical Note: Active and Semi-Active Strategies to Control Building Structures Under Large Earthquake Motion vol.19, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2015.1036326
- Robust multi-objective optimization of STMD device to mitigate buildings vibrations vol.11, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.2.347