- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Wind loads on fixed-roof cylindrical tanks with very low aspect ratio
- Lin, Yin (Spatial Structures Research Center, Zhejiang University) ;
- Zhao, Yang (Spatial Structures Research Center, Zhejiang University)
- Received : 2013.08.05
- Accepted : 2014.02.04
- Published : 2014.06.25
Wind tunnel tests are conducted to investigate the wind loads on vertical fixed-roof cylindrical tanks with a very low aspect ratio of 0.275, which is a typical ratio for practical tanks with a volume of
wind load;fixed-roof tank;wind tunnel test;non-Gaussian feature;conditional sampling;POD analysis
- Portela, G. and Godoy, L.A. (2005b), "Wind pressures and buckling of cylindrical steel tanks with a conical roof", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(6), 808-824. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.11.001
- MacDonald, P.A., Kwok, K.C.S. and Holmes, J.D. (1988), "Wind loads on circular storage bins, silos and tanks: I. Point pressure measurements on isolated structures", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 31, 165-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(88)90003-7
- Godoy, L.A. and Jaca, R.C. (2010), "Wind buckling of metal tanks during their construction", Thin Wall. Struct., 48(6), 453-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2010.01.001
- Holroyd, R.J. (1983), "On the behaviour of open-topped oil storage tanks in high winds. Part I. Aerodynamic aspects", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 12(3), 329-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(83)90054-5
- Koo, C., Uematsu, Y., Kondo, K. and Okubo, K. (2010), "Wind Loads for designing open-topped oil storage tanks", Proceedings of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures (IASS) Symposium: Spatial Structures - Permanent and Temporary, Shanghai, China, November.
- Maher, F.J. (1966), "Wind loads on dome-cylinders and dome-cone shapes", J. Struct. Div. - ASCE, 91(3), 79-96.
- Myers, P. (1997), Aboveground storage tanks, McGraw-Hill, New York, American.
- Portela, G. and Godoy, L.A. (2005a), "Wind pressures and buckling of cylindrical steel tanks with a dome roof", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(6), 786-807. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.11.002
- National Standard of P. R. China (2012), Load code for the design of building structures, Beijing, China.
- Purdy, D.M, Maher, P.E, Frederick, D. (1967), "Model studies of wind loads on flat-top cylinders", J. Struct. Div. - ASCE, 93, 379-395.
- Rotter, J.M. (2009), "Silos and tanks in research and practice: state of the art and current challenges", Proceedings of Symposium on Evolution and Trends in Design, Analysis and Construction of Shell and Spatial Structures, IASS. Valencia, Spain, September.
- Sosa, E.M. (2005), Computational buckling analysis of cylindrical thin-walled aboveground tanks, Ph.D. Dissertation, University Of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus, Mayaguez.
- Sabransky, I.J. and Melbourne, W.H. (1987), "Design pressure distribution on circular silos with conical roofs", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 26(1), 65-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(87)90036-5
- Sun, Y., Wu, Y. and Lin, Z. et al. (2007), "Non-Gaussian features of fluctuating wind pressures on long span roofs", China Civil Eng. J., 40(4), 1-5. (In Chinese)
- Uematsu, Y., Koo, C. and Kondo, K. (2008),"Wind loads on open-topped oil-storage tanks", Proceedings of the 6th International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics and Application, Milan, Italy, July.
- Chatterjee, A. (2000), "An introduction to the proper orthogonal decomposition", Current Science, 78(7), 808-817
- Godoy, L.A (2007), "Performance of storage tanks in oil facilities following hurricanes katrina and rita", J. Perform. Constr. Fac., 21(6), 441-449. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3828(2007)21:6(441)
- Buckling of vertical oil storage steel tanks: Review of static buckling studies vol.103, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2016.01.026
- Strengthening effects of spiral stairway on the buckling behavior of metal tanks under wind and vacuum pressures vol.106, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2016.05.023
- Numerical evaluation on shell buckling of empty thin-walled steel tanks under wind load according to current American and European design codes vol.95, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2015.07.007