- Volume 51 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
FE assessment of dissipative devices for the blast mitigation of glazing façades supported by prestressed cables
- Amadioa, Claudio (Department of Engineering and Architecture, University of Trieste) ;
- Bedon, Chiara (Department of Engineering and Architecture, University of Trieste)
- Received : 2011.04.20
- Accepted : 2014.05.18
- Published : 2014.07.10
The paper focuses on the dynamic response of a blast-invested glass-steel curtain wall supported by single-way pretensioned cables. In order to mitigate the critical components of the façade from severe structural damage, an innovative system able to absorb and dissipate part of the blast-induced stresses in the critical façade components is proposed. To improve the blast reliability of the studied glazing system, specifically, rigid-plastic and elastoplastic devices are introduced at the base and at the top of the vertical bearing cables. Several combinations and mechanical calibrations of these devices are numerically investigated and the most structurally and economically advantageous solution is identified. In conclusion, a simple analytical formulation totally derived from energetic considerations is also suggested for a preliminary estimation of the maximum dynamic effects in single-way cable-supported façades subjected to high-level blast loads.
- Baker, W.E., Cox, P.A., Wsetine, P.S., Kulesz, J.J. and Strehlow, R.A. (1983), Explosion Hazards and Evaluation, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, New York.
- Bulson P.S. (1997), Explosive Loading of Engineering Structures, E & FN Spon, Chapman & Hall, London.
- Corely, W.G., Mlarkar, P.F., Sozen, M.A. and Thornton, C.H. (1998), "The Oklahoma city bombing: summary and recommendations for multihazard mitigation", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., ASCE, 12(3), 100-112. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3828(1998)12:3(100)
- Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp. (2009), "ABAQUS ver. 6.9 User's Manual", Providence, RI, USA.
- Feng, R.Q., Zhang, L.L., Wu, Y. and Shen, S.Z. (2009), "Dynamic performance of cable net facades", J. Construct. Steel Res., 65, 2217-2227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.06.020
- GSA-TSO1-2003 (2003), "Standard test method for glazing and window systems subject to dynamic overpressure loadings", U.S. General Service Administration.
- Lam, N., Mendis, P. and Ngo, T. (2004), "Response spectrum solutions for blast loading", Elec. J. Struct. Eng., 4, 28-44.
- Li, Q.S. and Li, Q.G. (2005), "Time-dependent reliability analysis of glass cladding under wind action", Struct. Eng., 25(11), 1599-1612.
- Mays, G.C. and Smith, P.D. (1995), Blast Effects on Buildings, Thomas Telford Ltd.
- Norville, H.S. and Conrath, E.J. (2001), "Considerations for blast-resistant glazing design", J. Arch. Eng., ASCE, 7, (3), 80-86. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1076-0431(2001)7:3(80)
- Schlaich, J., Schober, H. and Moschner, T. (2005), "Prestressed cable net facades", Struct. Eng., 15(1), 36-9. https://doi.org/10.2749/101686605777963332
- Schmidt, J.A. (2003), "Structural design for external terrorist bomb attacks", Struct., 3, 21-23.
- Smith, D. (2001), "Glazing for injury alleviation under blast loading - United Kingdom practice", Proceedings of the seventh international conference on architectural and automotive glass, Glass Processing Days, Tamglass Ltd. Tampere.
- TM 5-1300 (1990), "The design of structures to resist the effects of accidental explosions", U.S. Departments of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force, Technical Manual, Washington DC.
- Weggel, D.C., Zapata, B.J. and Kiefer, M.J. (2007), "Properties and dynamic behavior of glass curtain walls with split screw spline mullions", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 133(10), 1415-1425. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:10(1415)
- Blast performance of water tank with energy absorbing support vol.96, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2015.07.022
- RC beams under blast load: Reliability and sensitivity analysis vol.66, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2016.05.003
- Dynamic Crushing Behaviors of Aluminum Foam Filled Energy Absorption Connectors pp.2093-6311, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-018-0113-z