- Volume 51 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparisons of Elasto-Fiber and Fiber & Bernoulli-Euler reinforced concrete beam-column elements
- Karaton, Muhammet (Civil Engineering Department, Engineering Faculty, Firat University)
- Received : 2013.05.02
- Accepted : 2014.05.01
- Published : 2014.07.10
In this study, two beam-column elements based on the Elasto-Fiber element theory for reinforced concrete (RC) element have been developed and compared with each other. The first element is based on Elasto Fiber Approach (EFA) was initially developed for steel structures and this theory was applied for RC element in there and the second element is called as Fiber & Bernoulli-Euler element approach (FBEA). In this element, Cubic Hermitian polynomials are used for obtaining stiffness matrix. The beams or columns element in both approaches are divided into a sub-element called the segment for obtaining element stiffness matrix. The internal freedoms of this segment are dynamically condensed to the external freedoms at the ends of the element by using a dynamic substructure technique. Thus, nonlinear dynamic analysis of high RC building can be obtained within short times. In addition to, external loads of the segment are assumed to be distributed along to element. Therefore, damages can be taken account of along to element and redistributions of the loading for solutions. Bossak-
- Anagnostoupoulos, S. (1981), "Inelastic beams for seismic analysis of structures", J. Eng. Mech., 107(ST7), 1297-1311.
- ACI 318-02 (2002), Building code requirements for Structural concrete, American Concrete Institute, USA.
- Banon H., Biggs, J. and Irvine, M. (1981), "Seismic damage in reinforced concrete frames", J. Struct. Eng.,107(ST9), 1713-1729.
- Bathe, K.J. (1982), Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA.
- Carlson, A.E. (1999), "Three-dimensional nonlinear inelastic analysis of steel moment-frame buildings damaged by earthquake excitations", EERL Report 1999/02, Earthquake Engineering Research Laboratory, Berkeley, California.
- Ceresa, P., Petrini, L. Pinho, R. and Sousa, R. (2009), "A fibre flexure-shear model for seismic analysis of RC-framed structures", Earthq. Eng. Struc. Dyn., 38(5), 565-586. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.894
- Chandrupatla, T.R. and Belegundu, A.D. (2002), Introduction to Finite Elements in Engineering, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA.
- Filippou, F.C. and Issa, A. (1988), "Nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete frames under cyclic load reversals", EERC Report 1988/12, Earthquake Engineering Research Laboratory, Berkeley, California.
- Guyan, R.J. (1965), "Reduction of stiffness and mass matrices", AIAA J., 3(2), 380. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.2874
- http://opensees.berkeley.edu, Open System for Earthquake Engineering Simulation, OpenSees, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley.
- http://www.seismosoft.com, SeismoArtif Ver 1.
- Iribarren, B.S. (2010), "Progressive collapse simulation of reinforced concrete structures: influence of design and material parameters and investigation of the strain rate effects", Ph.D. Thesis, Polytechnic Faculty, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Bruxelles Royal Military Academy, Universite Libre de.
- Isobe, D. and Tsuda, M. (2003), "Seismic collapse analysis of reinforced concrete framed structures using the finite element method", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 32(13), 2027-2046. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.313
- Kawano, A., Griffith, M.C., Joshi, H.R. and Warner, R.F. (1998), "Analysis of behaviour and collapse of concrete frames subjected to severe ground motion", Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, R163, Adelaide University, South Australia.
- Karaton, M. (2013), "Nonlinear earthquake analysis of reinforced concrete frames with fiber and Bernoulli-Euler Beam-Column element", Sci. World J., Article ID 905963, 15.
- Krishnan, S. (2003), "Three-dimensional nonlinear analysis of tall irregular steel buildings subject to strong ground motion", EERL Report 2003/01, Earthquake Engineering Research Laboratory, Berkeley, California.
- Legeron, F., Paultre, P. and Mazars, J. (2005), "Damage mechanics modeling of nonlinear seismic behaviour of concrete structures", J. Struct. Eng., 131(6), 946-954. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:6(946)
- Li, Y., Lu, X.Z., Guan, H. and Ye, L.P. (2011), "An improved tie force method for progressive collapse resistance design of reinforced concrete frame structures", Eng. Struct., 33(10), 2931-2942. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.06.017
- Lu, X., Lu, X., Guan, H. and Ye, l. (2013), "Collapse simulation of reinforced concrete high-rise building induced by extreme earthquakes", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(5), 705-723. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2240
- Miranda, I., Ferencz, R.M. and Hughes, T.J.R. (1989), "An improved implicit-explicit time integration method for structural dynamics", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 18(5), 643-653. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290180505
- Taucer, F.F., Spacone, E. and Filippou, F.C. (1991), "A fibre beam-column element for seismic response analysis of reinforced concrete structures", EERC 1991/17, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, Berkeley, California.
- TRBDA (2007), Turkish Regulation on Building in Disaster Area, Ankara, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Wood, W.L., Bossak, M. and Zienkiewicz, O.C. (1980), "A alpha modification of Newmark's method", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 15(10), 1562-1566. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620151011
- Lu, X., Lu, X.Z., Guan, H. and Ye, L. (2013), "Collapse simulation of reinforced concrete high-rise building induced by extreme earthquakes", Earth.Eng.&Struc.Dyn., 42(5), 705-723. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2240
- Zeris, C. and Mahin, S. (1991), "Behavior of reinforced concrete structures subjected to biaxial excitation", J. Struct. Eng., 117(ST9), 2657-2673. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:9(2657)
- Alternative approach for the derivation of an eigenvalue problem for a Bernoulli-Euler beam carrying a single in-span elastic rod with a tip-mounted mass vol.53, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.53.6.1105