- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Importance of Volumetric Measurement Processes in Oncology Imaging Trials for Screening and Evaluation of Tumors as Per Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors
- Vemuri, Ravi Chandra (Department of Medical Imaging, Core Imaging Laboratory, Parexel International) ;
- Jarecha, Rudresh (Department of Medical Imaging, Core Imaging Laboratory, Parexel International) ;
- Hwi, Kim Kah (Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Gundamaraju, Rohit (Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine) ;
- MaruthiKanth, Aripaka (Department of Medical Imaging, Core Imaging Laboratory, Parexel International) ;
- Kulkarni, AravindRao (Department of Medical Imaging, Core Imaging Laboratory, Parexel International) ;
- Reddy, Sundeep (Department of Medical Imaging, Core Imaging Laboratory, Parexel International)
- 발행 : 2014.03.01
Cancer, like any disease, is a pathologic biological process. Drugs are designed to interfere with the pathologic process and should therefore also be validated using a functional screening method directed at these processes. Screening for cancers at an appropriate time and also evaluating results is also very important. Volumetric measurement helps in better screening and evaluation of tumors. Volumetry is a process of quantification of the tumors by identification (pre-cancerous or target lesion) and measurement. Volumetric image analysis allows an accurate, precise, sensitive, and medically valuable assessment of tumor response. It also helps in identifying possible outcomes such disease progression (PD) or complete response as per Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST).
- Dudeck O, Zeile M, Reichardt P, Pink D (2011). Comparison of RECIST and Choi criteria for computed tomographic response evaluation in patients with advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumor treated with sunitinib. Ann Oncol, 22, 1828-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq696
- Eisenhauer EA, Therasse P, Bogaerts J, et al (2009). New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline. Eur J Cancer, 45, 228-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.10.026
- Gerber FH, Goodreau JJ, Kirchner PT, Fouty WJ (1977). Efficacy of preoperative and postoperative bone scanning in the management of breast carcinoma. NEJM, 297, 300-3. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM197708112970603
- Green S, Benedetti J, Crowley J (2003). Clinical trials in oncology. CRC Press. p1.
- Higgins LJ, Pomper MG (2011). The evolution of imaging in cancer: current state and future challenges. Semin Oncol 38, 3-15. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2010.11.010
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kaatsch P, Sikora E, Pawelec G (2010). Epidemiology of childhood cancer. Cancer Treat Rev, 36, 277-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2010.02.003
- Lavin PT, Flowerdew G (1980). Studies in variation associated with the measurement of solid tumors. Cancer, 46, 1286-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19800901)46:5<1286::AID-CNCR2820460533>3.0.CO;2-F
- Le Cesne A, Van Glabbeke M, Verweij J, et al (2009). Absence of progression as assessed by response evaluation criteria in solid tumors predicts survival in advanced GI stromal tumors treated with imatinibmesylate: the intergroup EORTC-ISGAGITG phase III trial. J Clin Oncol, 27, 3969-74. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.21.3330
- Lozano, R (2012). Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet, 380, 2095-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61728-0
- Marten K, Engelke C (2007). Computed-aided detection and automated CT volumetry of pulmonary nodules. Eur Radiol, 17, 888-901. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-006-0410-3
- Miller AB, Hoogstraten B, Staquet M, Winkler A (1981). Reporting results of cancer treatment. Cancer, 47, 207-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19810101)47:1<207::AID-CNCR2820470134>3.0.CO;2-6
- Nishino M, Jagannathan JP, Ramaiya NH, Abbeele ADV Den (2010). Revised recist guideline version 1.1: what oncologists want to know and what radiologists need to know. AJR, 195, 281-9. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.09.4110
- Spratt JS, Meyer JS, Spratt JA (1996). Rates of growth of human neoplasms: part II. J Surg Oncol, 61, 68-83 https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9098(199601)61:1<68::AID-JSO2930610102>3.0.CO;2-E
- Tang J-H, Yan F-H, Zhou M-L, et al (2013). Evaluation of computer-assisted quantitative volumetric analysis for preoperative resectability assessment of huge hepatocellular carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3045-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3045
- Tarin D, Price JE, Kettlewell MG, et al (1984). Mechanism of human tumor metastasis studied in patients with peritoneovenous shunts. Cancer Res, 44, 3584-92.
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, et al (2000). New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst, 92, 205-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.3.205
- Therasse P, Eisenhauer EA, Verweij J (2006). RECIST revisited: a review of validation studies on tumor assessment. EUR J Cancer, 42, 1031-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2006.01.026
- Wilson JMG, Jungner G (1968). Principles and practice of screening for disease. Geneva: World Health Organization. Public Health Papers, 34.
- Advances in Optimal Detection of Cancer by Image Processing; Experience with Lung and Breast Cancers vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5613