- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Meta Analysis of Treatment for Stage IE~IIE Extranodal Natural Killer /T Cell Lymphomas in China
- Li, Hui (Department of Hematology, Academy of Medical Sciences, Sichuan Provincial People's Hospital) ;
- Wang, Chun-Sen (Department of Hematology, Academy of Medical Sciences, Sichuan Provincial People's Hospital) ;
- Wang, Xiao-Dong (Department of Hematology, Academy of Medical Sciences, Sichuan Provincial People's Hospital)
- Published : 2014.03.01
Objective: To evaluate early treatment for extranodal natural killer/T cell lymphoma (ENK/TCL) in China and provide reference for clinical treatment of these patients. Methods: Computer-based retrieval was performed in PubMed, CNKI, CBM, VIP and WanFang Data to search for randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of treatment for early ENK/TCL, and a meta-analysis was conducted with RevMan 5.0 software. Results: A total of 11 RCTs, including 871 patients, were selected, of which the first radiotherapy had a higher complete response (CR) than the first chemotherapy [OR=14.16, 95%CI (8.68, 23.10), P<0.00001] and CR was not different between combined treatment group and radiotherapy group [OR=1.86, 95%CI (0.47, 3.58), P=0.61], but long-term survival rate was higher with combined treatment[OR=1.88, 95%CI (1.09, 3.19), P=0.02]. No difference in survival rate was observed between radio-chemotherapy and chemo-radiotherapy groups [OR=1.11, 95%CI (0.73, 1.69), P=0.63]. Conclusions: Radiotherapy is of great significance in the treatment of early ENK/TCL, but combined therapy could further enhance long-term survival rate of patients. This conclusion still requires further confirmation using RCTs with high quality and large sample size.
- Wang B, Lu JJ, Ma X, et al (2007). Combined chemotherapy and external beam radiation for stage IE and IIE natural killer T-cell lymphoma of nasal cavity. Leuk Lymphoma, 48, 396-402. https://doi.org/10.1080/10428190601059795
- Zhang J, Zhu MY, Wang L, et al (2013). "Sandwich" chemotherapy (CT) with radiotherapy (RT) improves outcomes in patients with stage IE/IIE extranodal natural killer (NK)/T-cell lymphomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4061-66. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4061
- Zhao YL, Li QM, Tan BX, et al (2011). The pathology and clinical analysis of 55 patients with NK/T cell lymphoma. China Modern Medicine, 18, 5-7.
- Zheng NY, Shao XF, Mo ZW, et al (2012). The efficacy and prognostic analysis of early nasal type NK/T cell lymphom. China Medicine Pharmacy, 2, 40-41.
- Steven H, Swerdlow EC, Harris NL, et al (2008). WHO classification of Tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. World Health Organization classification of tumours. International Agency for Research on Cancer (LARC). IARC Press, Lyon, pp285-88.
- Wang B, Li XQ, Ma X, et al (2008). Immunohistochemical expression and clinical significance of P-glycoprotein in previously untreated extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Am J Hematol, 83, 795-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.21256
- Wang H, Li XJ, Zhang SW, et al (2005). Clinical observation of stage IE nasal NK/T cell lymphoma. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi, 12, 549-52.
- Watanabe K, Hanamura A and Mori N (2010). A unique case of nasal NK/T cell lymphoma with frequent remission and relapse showing different histological features during 12 years of follow up. J Clin Exp Hematopathol, 50, 65-69. https://doi.org/10.3960/jslrt.50.65
- Wu Fueraikemu, Geni GY, Wang RZ, Li PD, et al (2008). Clinical analysis of 57 patients with nasal NK/T cell lymphoma. J Xinjiang Med Univ, 31, 1507-9.
- Yang Y, Zhang YJ, Lin XB, et al (2009). The effect of radiotherapy on comprehensive treatment for early nasal NK/T cell lymphoma and prognostic analysis. Chin J Rad Oncol, 18, 285-9.
- Yao B, Li YX and Fang H (2006). Treatment results and analysis of prognostic factors of 116 patients with early nasal NK/T cell lymphoma. Chin J Hematol, 27, 222-5.
- Yong W, Zheng W, Zhu J, et al (2009). L-asparaginase in the treatment of refractory and relapsed extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Ann Hematol, 88, 647-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-008-0669-3
- Li SY, Feng XL, Li T, et al (2013). Extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type a report of 73 cases at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Am J Surg Pathol, 37, 14-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0b013e31826731b5
- Kohrt H, Advani R (2009). Extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma: current concepts in biology and treatment. Leuk lymphoma, 50, 1773-784. https://doi.org/10.3109/10428190903186502
- Lee J, Cho SG, Chung SM, et al (2013). Retrospective analysis of treatment outcomes for extrnodal NK/T-cell lymphoma (ENKL), nasal type, stageI-IIE: single institute experience of combined modality treatment for early localized nasal extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma (ENKL). Ann Hematol, 92, 333-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-012-1630-z
- Lee J, Park YH, Kim WS, et al (2005). Extranodal nasal type NK/T-cell lymphoma: elucidating clinical prognostic factors for risk-based stratification of therapy. Eur J Cancer, 41, 1402-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.03.010
- Li Y, Liu Q, Wang W, et al (2011). Failure patterns and clinical implications in early stage nasal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma treated with primary radiotherapy. Cancer, 117, 5203-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26167
- Lin YE, Wang JY, Li LW, et al (2009). The efficacy observation of combined treatment of radiotherapy and chemotherapy for primary nasal NK/T cell lymphoma. Jilin Medical Journal, 30, 1306-7.
- Ma HH, Gao J, Zhang HY, et al (2007). Efficacy and prognostic analysis of 64 patients with early nasal NK/T cell lymphoma. Chinese J Clin Oncol, 34, 1229-32.
- Nie DH, Xie FY, Li JS, et al (2010). The treatment and prognostic analysis of early nasal NK/T cell lymphom. Chinese J Radiation Oncol, 19, 315-318.
- Jin J, Li YX, Yao B, et al (2006). Efficacy analysis of radiotherapy for stage IE-IIE nasal NK/T cell lymphoma. Chin J Rad Oncol, 15, 108-13.
- Hong J, Park S, Baek HL, et al (2012). Tumor cell nuclear diameter and CD30 expression as potential prognostic parameter in patients with extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Int J Clin Exp Pathol, 5, 939-47.
- Huang H, Lin Z, Lin X, et al (2011). Long-term outcomes of patients with newly diagnose extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma treated by etoposide, Prednisone, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, and doxorubicin regimen: a singleinstitution experience. Leuk Lymphoma, 52, 1041-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2011.561388
- Huang JJ, Jiang WQ, Lin TY, et al (2011). Absolute lymphocyte count is a novel prognostic indicator in extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Ann Oncol, 22, 149-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq314
- Kamiyama T, Fukukura Y, Yoneyama T, et al (2009). Distinguishing adrenal adenomas form nonadenomas : combined use of diagnostic parametets of unenhanced and short 5-minute dynamic enhanced CT Protocol. Radiology, 250, 474-81. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2502080302
- Kang GL (2012). Clinical efficacy and prognostic analysis of 86 cases of IE-IIE nasal NK/T cell lymphoma. China Health Care Nutrition, 11, 4335-6.
- Kim SJ and Kim WS (2010). Treatment of localized extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma, nasal type. Int J Hematol, 92, 690-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12185-010-0720-8
- Kim SJ, Kim BS, Choi CW, et al (2006). Treatment outcome of front-line systemic chemotherapy for localized extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma in nasal and upper aerodigestive tract. Leuk Lymphoma, 47, 1265-73. https://doi.org/10.1080/10428190600565651
- Kinney MC (1999). The role of morphologic features, phenotype, genotype and anatomic site in defining extranodal T-cell or NK-cell neoplasms. Am J Clin Pathol, 15, 153-7.
- Gill H, Liang RH and Tse E (2010). Extranodal Natural-killer/Tcell lymphoma, Nasal type. Adv Hematol, 12, 62740-4.
- Au WY, Pang A, Choy C, et al (2004). Quantification of circulating Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) DNA in the diagnosis and monitoring of natural killer cell and EBV-positive lymphoms in immunocompetent patients. Blood, 104, 243-9. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2003-12-4197
- Au WY, Weisenburger DD, Intragumtornchai T, et al (2009). Clinical differences between nasal and extranasal natural kller/T-cell lymphoma: a study of 136 cases from the International Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma Project. Blood, 113, 3931-7. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2008-10-185256
- Cai Q, Luo X, Liang Y, et al (2013). Fasting blood glucose is a novel prognostic indicator for extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Br J Cancer, 108, 380-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.566
- Gualco G, Domeny-Duarte P, Chioato L, et al (2011). Clinicopathologic and molecular features of 122 Brazilian cases of nodal and extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type, with EBV subtyping analysis. Am J Surg Pathol, 35, 1195-203. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0b013e31821ec4b5
- A phase 2 study of methotrexate, etoposide, dexamethasone, and pegaspargase chemotherapy for newly diagnosed, relapsed, or refractory extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type: a multicenter trial in Northwest China vol.35, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/hon.2325
- -asparaginase chemotherapy followed by involved field radiation in newly diagnosed, stage IE to IIE, nasal and extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma vol.57, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2015.1108415